1 2 3
2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
7/17/17 7:25 p.m.

I just saw a modified Infiniti FX35 on Youtube and it got my brain spinning. This is basically a G35/350z with tons more usable space. Of course it's heavy, and would be terrible for motorsports, but it could be a fun useful daily driver.

I love the utility of a wagon and wagons are a bit hard to come by in today's market. What other SUVs do you guys reckon could be transformed with some simple modifications to be a wagon replacement?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/17/17 7:28 p.m.

It's pretty easy to make a Subaru Forester into a boxy STI.

mck1117
mck1117 Reader
7/17/17 7:32 p.m.

This is exactly what the Ford C-Max is. The Focus is the base, if you make it big and lift it, you get the Escape. If you make the body even bigger, but put it back on Focus-height suspension, you get the C-Max. Manufacturers are starting to figure out that this is what (some) people want.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
7/17/17 7:45 p.m.

Dat fx35 sound dough. I'd say it's probably one of the best SUVs to make into a 'wagon'.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/17/17 7:52 p.m.

for what it is worth, my disco is considered a "wagon" on it's title

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
7/17/17 7:53 p.m.

Bonus points for manual transmission availability!

If you could get the C-Max with the 2.0 ecoboost and manual trans I'd be all over it!

Mazda CX-5 is another small SUV that seems like it would be great lowered. Manual trans available on fwd base model.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/17/17 7:55 p.m.
Robbie wrote: Dat fx35 sound dough. I'd say it's probably one of the best SUVs to make into a 'wagon'.

I dunno, I think the FX45 and FX50 might win in a "which sounds better?" contest

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/17/17 8:05 p.m.

I dunno, i'm one of those people who thinks 350z's sound really good.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/17/17 8:07 p.m.

Trailblazer SS comes to mind.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
7/17/17 8:17 p.m.

What's the weight like on an fx35/45? The last one I drove felt berking heavy.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
7/17/17 8:49 p.m.

Still Allroad.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
7/17/17 9:05 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: I just saw a modified Infiniti FX35 on Youtube and it got my brain spinning. This is basically a G35/350z with tons more usable space. Of course it's heavy, and would be terrible for motorsports, but it could be a fun useful daily driver. I love the utility of a wagon and wagons are a bit hard to come by in today's market. What other SUVs do you guys reckon could be transformed with some simple modifications to be a wagon replacement?

Our CX-9 can seat 7 + cargo and is faster and handles better than my Porsche or my e30........If this big thing handles like this, I can't imagine how great a CX-5 or CX-3 handle....

OHSCrifle
OHSCrifle Dork
7/17/17 9:06 p.m.
sesto elemento wrote: What's the weight like on an fx35/45? The last one I drove felt berking heavy.

Heavy, but AWD traction makes them fun

bmw88rider
bmw88rider SuperDork
7/17/17 9:18 p.m.

The EX35/7 is the same idea only smaller. 2" drop and you have a G35 wagon without the extra weight of the FX.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/17/17 9:44 p.m.
mck1117 wrote: This is exactly what the Ford C-Max is. The Focus is the base, if you make it big and lift it, you get the Escape. If you make the body even bigger, but put it back on Focus-height suspension, you get the C-Max. Manufacturers are starting to figure out that this is what (some) people want.

As a former C-Max owner I will say the interior space and field of view were THE ONLY redeeming qualities. The questionable drivetrain R & D, rush to production, horses--t build quality and no dealer support should make anyone run away fast from such a car. How a modern automaker could offer such a horrendously built product in today's day and age still baffles me. It weighs almost two tons so it would need more motor than what's in the focus to make it even close to fun.

hotchocolate
hotchocolate Reader
7/17/17 10:11 p.m.

Audi Q7 and Toyota venza.

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
7/17/17 10:30 p.m.

In reply to drainoil:

Took me a second to figure out what horses-t was.

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/17/17 11:51 p.m.
Robbie wrote: In reply to drainoil: Took me a second to figure out what horses-t was.

I'm willing to take whatever penalty I have coming I apologize. But that's an honest and accurate description from my ownership experience with that car. And no intent on my part to steer the thread off topic.

STM317
STM317 Dork
7/18/17 5:00 a.m.

The Police Tahoes tick a lot of boxes for me personally. The aftermarket for a full-size GM with an LS motor is just about bottomless too.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
7/18/17 6:00 a.m.
bmw88rider wrote: The EX35/7 is the same idea only smaller. 2" drop and you have a G35 wagon without the extra weight of the FX.

That's what I was going to say. The EX35 basically was the G35 wagon, but just don't call it a "wagon"

Robbie
Robbie UberDork
7/18/17 6:15 a.m.
drainoil wrote:
Robbie wrote: In reply to drainoil: Took me a second to figure out what horses-t was.
I'm willing to take whatever penalty I have coming I apologize. But that's an honest and accurate description from my ownership experience with that car. And no intent on my part to steer the thread off topic.

I just thought it was funny how I read it. I was going "horses" "tee". What the heck is horses T?

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UberDork
7/18/17 6:38 a.m.

I have naughty thoughts about the X5 (or 3) lowered a bit, with some go-fast equipment but I'm smart enough to not act on fantasies.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
7/18/17 7:23 a.m.

If only you could get something with lot's of space, AWD, and close to 400 turbocharged horsepower!

Oh wait...

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/18/17 7:27 a.m.

Ecoboost Flex is a great wagon:

For a great drive as is: the Mazda CX7:

And what is basically a AWD wagon version of the most sold car in NA: Venza

drainoil
drainoil HalfDork
7/18/17 8:48 a.m.
STM317 wrote: The Police Tahoes tick a lot of boxes for me personally. The aftermarket for a full-size GM with an LS motor is just about bottomless too.

x2. Or even the regular Suburbans which really are 4wd/awd station wagons.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SA5OziPk8M9VvpiKdLRVWHOXoUSFslvDJUeK6PyOKRMpCBE8g9WjCArDn12I1FG7