1 2 3
Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
7/18/17 10:02 p.m.

My XC90 had Eibach springs when I bought it. I thought it would chew through tires worse than an AWD Volvo normally does, but it has been fine. The rear is a bit too camber-ey, but it drives really well. It still has enough travel, although a really big dip reminds you of the short springs.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/18/17 10:37 p.m.
Knurled wrote: The important thing if you have an SUV, is you have to float erratically across multiple lanes witout signalling and then come to a stop on on-ramps because, well, berk it, nobody else on the road is important.

It's funny, I enjoy taking onramps as fast as I can (usually faster than most cars) in my Disco just so I can blow some minds. This is a truck that needs shocks badly and probably springs, but I can still hustle it through the twisties faster than most people would dare take something half it's size or weight

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/19/17 7:55 a.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

I'm the same way in the Jeep. I've gotten a few looks from people when I've thrown it around a corner or taken a left through an intersection still doing 35 after barely touching the brakes. Sticky tires, a slightly widened stance and decent suspension can go a long way in making something perform better than people would expect it to.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/19/17 11:29 a.m.

I'm thinking that because we're not really going for Motorsports with these that an air ride system would be the way to go.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/19/17 1:12 p.m.

As others have said, the suspension travel doesn't seem to be a problem on a lot of SUV because most are sedan based, so lowering them brings them back to sedan height. And if aligned properly, the geometry is good.

What is more of an issue is that most of them don't have good shocks available (except the Forester and Outlander it seems) and no swaybar options.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/19/17 1:15 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: What is more of an issue is that most of them don't have good shocks available (except the Forester and Outlander it seems) and no swaybar options.

This only matters if you care about parts just bolting in without some work. A little fab work on the suspension mounts can fix a lot of those problems.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/19/17 1:18 p.m.
rslifkin wrote:
fanfoy wrote: What is more of an issue is that most of them don't have good shocks available (except the Forester and Outlander it seems) and no swaybar options.
This only matters if you care about parts just bolting in without some work. A little fab work on the suspension mounts can fix a lot of those problems.

I agree on Truck/Jeep based stuff that's not too hard.

But on FWD sedan based stuff with MacPherson struts in front, that's a lot more involved and out of reach for most people.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun SuperDork
7/19/17 2:01 p.m.

SWMBO has a very vehement opposition to wagons, and to a certain extent, hatchbacks in general as well as loathing minivans. Unsurprisingly she doesn't appreciate it when I point out that her Mercury Mariner is essentially the bastard lovechild of a wagon & a minivan...

Hal
Hal UltraDork
7/19/17 2:27 p.m.
Nick (Bo) Comstock wrote: But, does lowering one enough that it looks good aesthetically reduce suspension travel enough that they are useless as a vehicle? Or would they still ride acceptably?

With the Forester, you are replacing the stock suspension parts with stock suspension parts from the "factory hot rod". Ride may be a little stiffer but the handling is much improved. And then if you want more, just get aftermarket parts made for the "factory hot rod"

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/19/17 3:00 p.m.
This is a truck that needs shocks badly and probably springs, but I can still hustle it through the twisties faster than most people would dare take something half it's size or weight

This is the main reason why i'm near the bottom of the 'drivetrain layout elitism' scale. I can take the most non-optimal thing and go faster and have more fun than most people seem to think is possible. At some point too much capability just runs the danger of making <70mph maneuvers seem boring, and that is VERY antithetical to what i want out of my driving experience, which is to be able to enjoy it on every normal road, every day. I care way more about avoiding traffic than i do about finding a racetrack, and i think a lot of other car enthusiasts on the internet are crazy for limiting themselves so severely. I know a LOT of people with extremely fast cars that, if their mindset came along with them, you couldnt pay me to drive.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/19/17 7:28 p.m.
Vigo wrote: i think a lot of other car enthusiasts on the internet are crazy for limiting themselves so severely. I know a LOT of people with extremely fast cars that, if their mindset came along with them, you couldnt pay me to drive.

When the Fiat 500 Abarth came out, I remember talking to a new owner. He was raving about how it was the most fun car he had driven on the street in a LONG time, this was over the Vette has had sitting at home. He told me he took the Abarth everywhere just because it was so much fun to drive without getting arrested for doing stupid speeds

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/19/17 8:38 p.m.

This is pretty nice too:

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
7/19/17 9:01 p.m.

These are nice handling stock, so a bit of lowering could be great

fidelity101
fidelity101 SuperDork
7/19/17 9:58 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: This is pretty nice too:

God thats hot...

also - please nobody recommend a venza unless you have actually driven or rode in one. Its awful but I agree they do look good.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hi3p1RUCvM9xRihNONwuLIg8XSZSx0t62tzED4zAZrCBxbvvaAlYy2vmdPpzJU85