ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/9/22 2:42 p.m.

Hi guys, my DD is a 2016 JKU Sahara with 33inch BFG KO2. I bought it new and it has about 45K miles. I like it but I am starting to get tired of the ride quality so I've been thinking about changing it to something else that's still somewhat capable tackling light off road duties but more comfortable especially since my Jeep has held up its value really well in this crazy market. So lately on Instagram I've been seeing lots of Land Rover LR4/Discovery that have been modded lightly for overlanding that would fit my needs (DD and light off road duty mainly forest roads) I am just not sure about reliability since you know, it's a Land Rover. Plus some of the ones I saw were either in Europe or Australia so they might be the Diesel version. 

What are the main weak points of the LR4, from reliability standpoint am I crazy to think about switching from 2016 JKU to 2015/2016 LR4? Mike Brewer drives one of these Discovery/LR4 as his DD in the latest season of Wheelers Dealers so it can't be too bad right lol.  

Thanks guys. 

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
1/9/22 3:10 p.m.

So I have an LR3, but the LR4 is basically a reskinned LR3 with a different drivetrain. The LR3 has the usual common problems:

- Rear brake lines
- Wheel bearings don't last long
- Control arms don't last long
- Electronic handbrakes
- Air Suspension

The LR4 V8 is supposed to be the more reliable of the two drivetrains available in the LR4 (V8 vs V6 SC) but its better to get a later year V8 (2012-2013). I forget which of the engines has these problems, but I remember complaints of water pumps and timing chain guides and coolant leaks from plastic pipes. FWIW, the LR3 drivetrain and LR4 V8 drivetrain I hear are pretty solid if you maintain them.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/9/22 3:50 p.m.

Actually my understanding is that the LR3 V8 is more reliable than the LR4 V8s (and potentially also the s/c V6). The 5.0l engines are the ones with timing chaing guide issues.

1/9/22 4:33 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

Actually my understanding is that the LR3 V8 is more reliable than the LR4 V8s (and potentially also the s/c V6). The 5.0l engines are the ones with timing chaing guide issues.

Yes, I believe that is the case (which is why I opted into owning an LR3 V8). I guess the way I made my post made it look like otherwise. Oops! I edited my post for clarity.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/9/22 4:38 p.m.

In a world where 4Runners exist, people are considering Land Rovers for this sort of thing?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/9/22 4:45 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Yes, they do. And LR3/LR4s are surprising capable.

1/9/22 5:00 p.m.
STM317 said:

In a world where 4Runners exist, people are considering Land Rovers for this sort of thing?

Pre-covid (and maybe during it too?) you could get an LR3/4 for a decent price compared to a 300k mile rusted out 4runner and with the right combination of year/maintenance, they're just as good.

Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter)
Gearheadotaku (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
1/9/22 6:25 p.m.

The LR4 gets you about 100 more horsepower, but you're doing timing chains and a water pump. Both have air suspension that have issues. Go with a coil spring retrofit at the first sign of trouble.

STM317
STM317 UberDork
1/9/22 6:26 p.m.
BoxheadTim said:

In reply to STM317 :

Yes, they do. And LR3/LR4s are surprising capable.

It's not the capability that I question. It's the DD part.

DrBoost
DrBoost MegaDork
1/9/22 6:46 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

Same here. 

paul_s0
paul_s0 Reader
1/9/22 8:49 p.m.

We've got an LR3.  It's been reliable in the sense of not leaving you stranded (done so twice, once due to battery, once the EPB and SWMBO not remembering how to activate the emergency release), however it is maintenance heavy, although ours is the 4.0 V6 (Ford SOHC).   We got ours with 160k kms on it with a whole lot of deferred maintenance (all it had had done were engine oil/filter and brake pads, and a whole lot of bodgery), now on 235k kms.   Wheel bearings are typically 80k - 100k mile items, not too bad.   They eat suspension bushes, especially the front lower arm rear bushes.    The electronic handbrake is rubbish (as previously mentioned), you can get it reliable but again you need to stay on top of it.  Air suspension.. to be honest ours isn't that bad.  Front air bag leak at 200k kms, front valve block around 210k kms, and I need to get around to rebuilding the compressor (about $70 for a rebuild kit) as it's showing signs.  Outside of that ours lunched it's front diff, but I strongly suspect that was poor maintenance prior to our ownership, although there are a lot of cases being reported.    Ours is driven unsympathetically around Peru, badly potholed roads, very dusty conditions, high temps and high humidity.  It's SWMBO's daily, and it's a decent comfy ride.   Yeah, I doubt it's up there with 4runners etc, but it's not terrible.  A decent diagnostics is essential (GAP IID in our case).

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/9/22 9:15 p.m.

In reply to STM317 :

The interior of LR3/4 is much nicer than that of a 4Runner and as someone mentioned before I feel like you get a lot more car for your money with LR3/4 compared to 4Runner that cost the same. The GX 460 is probably a better comparison to the LR3/4. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/9/22 9:15 p.m.

Truck FX4 or Z71 pick your size and brand.....  you can always go ZR2 if you need more hardcore.  I used to daily a Rubicon.  Now I have a Z71.  I liked my Jeep a lot, but the truck has proven to be a much better DD.  The entire family agrees there.  It also tows and hauls more, gets better mpg, insures for less, and does okay off-road.  I don't really need a Jeeps off-road capability though.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/9/22 9:31 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

Truck FX4 or Z71 pick your size and brand.....  you can always go ZR2 if you need more hardcore.  I used to daily a Rubicon.  Now I have a Z71.  I liked my Jeep a lot, but the truck has proven to be a much better DD.  The entire family agrees there.  It also tows and hauls more, gets better mpg, insures for less, and does okay off-road.  I don't really need a Jeeps off-road capability though.

This is a really good idea and almost exactly the same use case as me..thanks a lot man...

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
1/9/22 11:49 p.m.
ea_sport said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:

This is a really good idea and almost exactly the same use case as me..thanks a lot man...

I often get to help friends and family pick vehicles.  My suggestion is drive all of them.  I will be honest some days I miss my Jeep, but living with a truck is a lot better daily.  It can also take more gear camping.  And it can go a lot of places people never drive their Jeeps.  

I'd drive the Range Rover too and the Toyotas and a Lexus.  And it may surprise lots of folks but a Cayenne can kick butt off pavement too.  I just find truck maintenance costs more favorable and I use the bed regularly.  I did put a GM 350 in the back of the Jeep once though.

I went with my mother in law and we test drove four crossovers before picking a CX5.  Then we drove 3 more of them before finding the right one.   Drive everything that fits your general goals.  Take a friend or SO with you too since this will be a DD.  My DD had to work well for 5 different people and in a lot of situations.  

Opti
Opti Dork
1/10/22 9:02 a.m.

I looked at one for quite a while.

Stuff I remember is BMW V8 has timing chain issues. Filter is built into trans pan so a service is more expensive. I see a bunch with failed cats. Miscellaneous pieces of trim missing or barely hanging on. Air suspension failures, personally Id keep the air suspension stuff and just repair it as there are cheaper options than OE only (a lift is just a longer link away, and you are moving away from the wrangler because of ride quality). Various coolant leaks. In the DII world they call the trac and abs lights the 3 amigos, I havent ever seen this referenced in the LR3 and LR4 world but almost everyone I looked at had an ABS or trac light on.

They are similar to BMW in having a large following that is online so common problems, DIYs, and alternative parts sources are available. Just realize when something breaks it will be more expensive than your Wrangler. If youve owned a BMW it will probably be like that. Personally I really like these.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim MegaDork
1/10/22 9:20 a.m.

In reply to Opti :

The "more expensive parts than a Wrangler" is true, however you can often save a bunch of money by ordering parts from UK suppliers rather than US suppliers. Although you need to keep an eye on shipping costs, obviously.

Opti
Opti Dork
1/10/22 9:53 a.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

That was my general experience with my BMW. If I walked into the dealer or a local parts house, it was more, but on most occasions if I could wait and order online, I could find good prices and info on using an aftermarket part. On the occasions were only OEM would do (like a MAF) I just had to pony up and pay more.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
1/10/22 9:58 a.m.

I know nothing about them, but I have heard many times you never want a modern Land Rover product out of warranty.  Friends with new Range Rovers average 50:50 on driving vs having them in for service. But I get the appeal for sure. 

LarsBrunkhorst
LarsBrunkhorst New Reader
1/10/22 11:44 a.m.

Got an LR3 that has been wonderful, as paul said there are some things that you need to be aware of but in my opinion they are a great option that is going to become a whole lot more popular in the next year or two.

I dont know as much about the 4, from my digging and research the 4 doesn't get you that much over the 3 other than more potential problems.

For the LR3, the motor is....fine, nothing special, kinda thirsty, but solid. Same with the trans. Air suspension while not cheap, is not super expensive either and its not overly complicated compared to the newer system.

They can take a ton of abuse, and if you get one specced right, can do pretty much all but the most ridiculous of weekend wheeling trails.

Biggest thing, like german cars, is find one that has the right maintenance history. As people have said, bushings and control arms need to be watched, as does the front diff. But keeping to a proper schedule should keep you happy and issue free.

I found mine (a G4 challenge car no less) for 7k with 135K, add 2k for a front diff, all control arms, filters, new tires, and I have a wayyyy nicer place to be than a 4runner for way less.(and I knew going in it wasn't the best kept example but I wanted the G4) Great ride, great sound system, quiet on the highway, etc. Just made the trek down to florida with the wife and dogs, plus a thule on top, and averaged 19mpg... not great but not terrible either.

I think they are a great diamond in the rough right now that as long as you are okay with a bit of tinkering here and there are an amazing value.

p.s. Being able to troubleshoot well(and google) as well as having the proper ID tool will save you so much money. I had my locking diff go out, along with all the drive modes etc, was a 70 dollar computer under the battery, took about 30 min to swap and all good since. (whoever decided putting electronics under the battery right next to the windshield drain was something else)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
pq75xSOcgOYtaEApieL8xkY6DClQh8uWhYQ79A4WBTAOuD79m6OJhnw8HDVErWZO