4 5 6
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa PowerDork
6/25/22 12:03 p.m.
barefootcyborg5000 said:

So there's at least one other absolute maniac out there, eh?

y'all are doing the good work. Keep the world interesting. 

I know of at least two other builds on some form of video streaming site.

Ain't nobody got time for that.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/19/22 10:32 p.m.

I got a transmission!

It was very very 'spensive.

Unfortunately, I could not use it, so out da door it went.

I dealt with a bunch of FB Marketplace idiots. Then Todd emailed me from CL.  Todd wanted to trade.  Todd only had LS stuff and autotragic transmissions.  I can work with that.

I got two heads, two valve covers, and eight coils.
Won't see my TIG till I don't know when
Ain't gonna use that crappy MIG to burn it in.
Gotta go fast man, break the tires loose
Might even use some giggle juice.
Gonna go fast, don't you have no fear
Got two heads, two VCs and and ignition o'er here.
Two heads, valve covers, an ignition o'er here.

*Insert guitar*

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/19/22 11:00 p.m.

So this thread and phone screen shots are admissible in Challenge Court?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/19/22 11:01 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Thats the way I've seen it done. If someone wanted to challenge it, I'm not sure how that would pan out.

jgrewe
jgrewe HalfDork
8/19/22 11:14 p.m.

You can tell them I typed that price while under oath.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/19/22 11:42 p.m.

In reply to jgrewe :

Your oath might hold more water if you come to a Challenge or two...

Hey! I hear there is one in October, and there are still hotel rooms available!

preach (dudeist priest)
preach (dudeist priest) SuperDork
10/29/22 7:48 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Every now and then I get frustrated that I'm not in on the ground floor of this, but at the same time I don't care that much cause it means I can steal their designs

At least my intake is sexier.  I like the integration of the old Ford intake lid, though.

I just found this guy last night and immediately thought of you. I'd figured you had seen him in your research. He got it started this week.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
10/29/22 10:15 a.m.

In reply to preach (dudeist priest) :

I hadn't seen he got it running, but looking at the thumbnail image for the video, I do wonder why he has the 3/8"-1/2" plate against the head for the thermostat housing.  Wall thickness there not enough to allow for threads? Needed it so he could machine it flat? Other?

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/21/22 7:12 p.m.

So I
A) need to cut the existing head up and grind the crap welds smooth so I can weld this properly with my awesome new TIG welder.
B) cut the below heads up and start from there as it might be easier to do that.  

There might be an option C) where I grind most of the welds out and start again with the TIG, but I'm not sure about how easy that's going to be with my booger welds.

C might be more palatable as then I don't have to do anything with my intake, A and B are possible to keep the intake going, but it'll be somewhat more involved.

:sigh:

Mr_Asa said:

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/14/23 6:00 p.m.

Didn't even have to fire my AK.  Today was a good day.

More when I get home 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/15/23 3:49 p.m.

Ok, more like "I'll update the day after romorrow when I get home."

jgrewe leant me his shop while he and his folks rearranged it.  Didn't even make me sweep up my chips after! What a guy!

I haven't liked my solution to the bolt locations for a while.  The solution was to just aim the spool gun at the gap (pictured below), fill it up, then mill flats and a hole at the proper spot. 

I tried it, actually kinda worked since I was using a 3D printed jig to position everything.  Didn't really like the solution.  Thought, thought, thought

Ordered some 1-1/4" round stock, ordered a 1-1/4" end mill, started bugging people I knew to get some shop time.

Rough measurement here.

Slap the head on the mill.  Got it lined up good'nuff.

Started makin chips.

One thing I learned doing this was a lot more confidence in the crappy spool gun welder that I had been given.  Might honestly need to stop calling it my "crappy spool gun welder" and just go with my "not as good as my TIG spool gun welder"  Or maybe something shorter than that.
No pictures during, but cutting through it allowed me to see the penetration it achieved, the quality of 90% of the welds, real happy overall.

So, here's what I did.

Not the best, but again a whole helluva lot better than I expected for a 120V setup.

One thing this pic shows, which I was real happy with, was that the stock mounting boss thickness into the head is right at the same thickness as the round bar I chose.  I initially thought 1", I thought 1-1/2", and then I played with the solidworks model of the head and some DWGs I had of the head gasket and, well, 1-1/4"

As you can see from either side of this pic, the round stock I machined is much longer than the stock bolt mounting bosses.  I've got to play with en-smallening this one, making the others, and then welding everything into place.  The top side mount will probably be flush, the block side will get a 1/8"-1/4" shoulder  cut into it and then I'll burn it in fully.

So that was my day!

Gotta say, car sure handles different with ~150lbs of pig iron and GM's Finest* Castings in the trunk!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/15/23 3:50 p.m.
RacetruckRon said:

Yes! Yes! Yes!  Precision level hackery I love it.

Hackery getting more precision level!

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
1/15/23 5:42 p.m.

90 minutes isn't bad for that.  Probably would have been quicker if I had a parting tool worth a damn so I didn't have to go back to the saw to cut pieces off, or if I had a tail stock support.

First we trim the initial piece to see how she looks.

So, that looks decent.  Let's make a bunch.

And, here we go.  Now I gotta figure out where to put the block to do this.  I'd like to get a trashed one and just cut the top 4-6' off it so I have a mounting surface. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
2/4/23 5:24 p.m.

Been poking at other stuff while I've been working on the new engine for the truck.
The LS head is going to have to have a thermostat housing bolted to it.  The cylinder wall isn't thick enough to mount to it, soooooo....

3D print some templates.

Get it nice and hot.

A trick I learned from... somewhere.  Useful if you have a lathe, drill press, or anything similar.  Chuck the tap into the lathe spindle/collet/chuck, use the tool holder to apply pressure, spin the lathe by hand.  The mass of the geared portion of the lathe really helps you tap whatever you're working on and using the tool holder and chuck ensures you tap it dead-nuts straight.

3D print a thingie.

Use gasket and thingie to make a couple circles with a paint pen.

Keep on cutting till you're good to go.  Need to knock out the upper hole a bit more.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
2/4/23 5:26 p.m.

I did kinda screw up.  The bolts are 3/8-16, they should be 5/16.

Might drill out the thermostat housing.  Might fill it and fix it.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
11/17/23 9:19 a.m.

I feel like there was another thread for this project, but I can't find it if so. 

Saw this on the gram, figured it was up your alley as "inspiration" 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cyv_jMmOGcN/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
11/17/23 10:01 a.m.

I have a dumb question...

Why are Wheels777 posts deleted?

I may have missed something....

Awesome effort!  Carry on!

No Time
No Time UltraDork
12/16/23 3:14 p.m.

The picture from the instagram link showed up In my FB feed  reminding me to come check to see how this project was going. 

I hadn't been keeping up, but it looks like a lot of good progress! 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
12/16/23 5:33 p.m.
4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8bAmjGG9qsazzHjHtExXE6l5IjfxzOTN2DunBF7si5GZG776GJMBCFLQv1Tj7xt2