1 2
D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 9:56 a.m.

Anybody have any experience with this. There is a 996 on Pelican, I think a 2000. It is a roller with a blown motor. Good looking car but what is the real cost of putting an LS motor in.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
10/20/17 10:01 a.m.

We've discussed this before... but can't remember what the opinion was.

http://www.renegadehybrids.com/

or

https://www.kennedyeng.com/engine-adapters

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UberDork
10/20/17 10:24 a.m.

Hoovies Garage on Youtube recently did an LS swap in a 996.  It's a big, expensive job.....

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 10:48 a.m.

That's kind of what I expected. If I wanted a stripped down lightweight hoonigan car it would probably be a fun project.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/20/17 11:05 a.m.

On one of my recent track outings, the only car I could play with was an 80's 911 with an LS7 in the tail. We had a lot of fun - he could come off 2nd gear hairpins harder, I'd pull him down the straight. Unfortunately, he had a bit of work to do on cooling.

But I dug it a lot.

Engine swaps are always more difficult and more expensive than you expect if you want to do them properly.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
10/20/17 11:19 a.m.

Engine swaps are always more difficult and more expensive than you expect if you want to do them properly.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/20/17 11:21 a.m.

I'd just rebuild the flat 6 for it, put it back together to have some fun and then sell it on.

If you really want to engine swap it, make it mid-engined and Audi V8 powered since they came with a transaxle.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
10/20/17 11:22 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In theory, a 996 "should" be easier to swap than an 80's 911.  At least the 996 uses a water cooled engine as well.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 12:03 p.m.
Stefan said:

I'd just rebuild the flat 6 for it, put it back together to have some fun and then sell it on.

If you really want to engine swap it, make it mid-engined and Audi V8 powered since they came with a transaxle.

He cracked the engine case in a track incident that likely completely destroyed the motor. Definitely not worth rebuilding to stock unless you already have a spare motor. 

Better options out there if I wanted mid engine.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 12:05 p.m.
Ian F said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

In theory, a 996 "should" be easier to swap than an 80's 911.  At least the 996 uses a water cooled engine as well.

Other than electronics, maybe. Air cooled 911's are pretty simple, and there are quite a few solutions to water cooling them.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/20/17 12:08 p.m.

People complain about the weight on LS swaps in miata what is putting an LS on the back end of a 911 going to do?

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 12:10 p.m.
Jaynen said:

People complain about the weight on LS swaps in miata what is putting an LS on the back end of a 911 going to do?

Porsche motors are surprisingly large and heavy. Fully loaded on a scale they are very close.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
10/20/17 12:15 p.m.
D2W said:
Stefan said:

He cracked the engine case in a track incident that likely completely destroyed the motor. Definitely not worth rebuilding to stock unless you already have a spare motor. 

Hit car-part.com for a spare motor, combine them, have fun and sell for profit.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 12:45 p.m.
Stefan said:
D2W said:
Stefan said:

Hit car-part.com for a spare motor, combine them, have fun and sell for profit.

That probably is the best plan for this particular car. But its always fun to dream about crazy things.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
10/20/17 1:24 p.m.

Yeah I'm with everybody else...  at least if you were installing a good running motor it would be easy to do the ims bearing before you drop the body on top of it... although.... I do find it interesting that an ls1 weighs the same as the flat 6.....

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
10/20/17 1:42 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Hoovies Garage on Youtube recently did an LS swap in a 996.  It's a big, expensive job.....

I just started watching his videos recently - it's an interesting take on buying really cheap exotic cars that were really expensive when new.

markwemple
markwemple UltraDork
10/20/17 1:50 p.m.

Most Porsche people believe that the best part of a 911 is the ENGINE. Just saying......

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/20/17 1:55 p.m.
Jaynen said:

Not people who have ever built or driven one complain about the weight. That's usually a knee-jerk reaction based on what my daddy tol' me.

yupididit
yupididit Dork
10/20/17 2:05 p.m.

I knew a guy in Chicago who built one. Then sold it to a navy pilot who wrecked it. He liked it a lot but not enough, he's a guy who has owned Vipers and currently has a Lambo.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 2:06 p.m.

I wouldn't deny that a 911 motor is special. I would argue that the price of buy in on the air cooled ones is steep, for frankly not a lot of power. I have seen a used crank from a 3.0 part out motor go for $1500. I can't really speak to any of the water cooled motors.

I would also argue that a LS motor from the factory is a special piece considering small package/power output/price. Also I believe that a LS motor built to the high tolerances of a 911 motor would be very special.

Jaynen
Jaynen SuperDork
10/20/17 2:07 p.m.

The one take smoking tire did of the Coyote powered Cayman was pretty sweet

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/20/17 2:09 p.m.
Jaynen said:

The one take smoking tire did of the Coyote powered Cayman was pretty sweet

Other than they couldn't shut the rear hatch. The coyote is an awesome motor though other than its physical size.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
10/20/17 2:28 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Jaynen said:

Not people who have ever built or driven one complain about the weight. That's usually a knee-jerk reaction based on what my daddy tol' me.

Weight was a thing when GM SBC's used cast iron blocks, heads and intakes. Not so much with aluminum blocks, heads and plastic intake manifolds. 

yupididit
yupididit Dork
10/20/17 2:41 p.m.
Bobzilla said:
Keith Tanner said:
Jaynen said:

Weight was a thing when GM SBC's used cast iron blocks, heads and intakes. Not so much with aluminum blocks, heads and plastic intake manifolds. 

Basically not an issue in the last 20 years. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
10/20/17 3:31 p.m.

What about a flat six subie engine? Eg33, turbo, all the fun of a 911, still has a boxer, but enormously cheaper to track. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
p9yddspd5GDVRe2E8drDrV0FIZfWg7wFTjnPyvsc6xSm2fi9A1zmbJHQI0kYPxt2