1 2 3
Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 1:19 p.m.

Found a lead on a decent priced LT1 I might use in my Caprice. Does anyone know if standard gen 1 small block  headers and mounts will work on an LT1? I know the bell housing and clutch is the same as an 86+ Gen 1 but the front accessories are different.

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/7/19 1:22 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

Headers yes.

Be careful with the flywheel:  Internal versus external balance or something like that.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 1:24 p.m.

In reply to Indy-Guy :

The lt1 still has a t56 bolted to it. I was hoping to run it with the nv3500 already in my wagon and save the t56 for the GTA. I'll definitely look into that flywheel closer before I try it.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/7/19 1:28 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Found a lead on a decent priced LT1 I might use in my Caprice. Does anyone know if standard gen 1 small block  headers and mounts will work on an LT1? I know the bell housing and clutch is the same as an 86+ Gen 1 but the front accessories are different.

Mounts yes.  Headers no.  SBC headers will technically bolt up to an LT1, but the LT1's exhaust ports are about a quarter inch higher on the head relative to the bolt pattern, so using SBC headers will result in sigificant port mismatch.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 1:31 p.m.

Ok so either plan on hunting for LT1 headers or use the stock manifolds that come with the motor. 

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/7/19 1:40 p.m.

In reply to Daylan C :

If it is any consolation, LT1 manifolds are really good, as these things go.  Make sure to use LT1 gaskets.

I like LT1s, but there's so much of them that is similar-but-different that they can be maddening.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 2:00 p.m.

Honestly I was just hoping the headers would work so I could be lazy and not redo the exhaust.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/7/19 3:12 p.m.

Could you just cut off the flange, and weld the gen 1 headers to an LT1 flange?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 4:16 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Putting some down tubes and a y pipe together is probably less work that trying to cut up a cast manifold and weld primary tubes from a pair of long tubes into the it.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/7/19 6:05 p.m.

Oh, if you already have manifolds, you probably could grind the ports in the manifolds up.  The iron used in exhaust manifolds may be a bit tough, though.

There used to be a good image online of the port differences.  SBC exhaust ports are mostly centered in the bolt pattern, this is LT1:

Bottom is raised a little, top is raised significantly.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 6:10 p.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah it's a pair of long tubes that came with the car. I'll take a look and see if a grinder will fix this if I actually get the engine. I told the seller the quickest I can make it to him to pick it up is Friday but it's an unreasonably low price for an LT1/T56 combo so I'm not holding my breath. 

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/7/19 6:12 p.m.

Why not just slot the bolt holes in tbe existing headers downward to move the tubes up 1/4 inch relative to the ports? 20 minutes with a die grinder and done. Use sbc and lt1 gaskets to check fit/progress. 

At least thats what i would try.

Also, i love an lt1. Such a GOOD sbc.

Probably look at them when the tbi motor in my truck dies.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/7/19 6:13 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Yeah it's a pair of long tubes that came with the car. I'll take a look and see if a grinder will fix this if I actually get the engine. I told the seller the quickest I can make it to him to pick it up is Friday but it's an unreasonably low price for an LT1/T56 combo so I'm not holding my breath. 

Call in to work with anal glaucoma. They're closing anyway, so why save the pto?

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 6:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Solid point if I'm honest.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/7/19 7:54 p.m.
Daylan C said:

In reply to Appleseed :

Putting some down tubes and a y pipe together is probably less work that trying to cut up a cast manifold and weld primary tubes from a pair of long tubes into the it.

No, I meant cut the flanges of the SBC headers. Buy or have someone cut steel flanges that fit the LT1 heads. Then weld the SBC pipes on the LT1 flange.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 8:23 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

I'll see. I might even find a set of ok LT1 headers since they did offer the LT1 in later versions of this chassis and they didn't change the platform much.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/7/19 11:10 p.m.

I remember back in my 9C1 days, headers that fit the LT1 from any of the big companies were non-existant. The ones that did fit were very low volume and extremely expensive.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/7/19 11:15 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed :

Looks like I'm hacking header flanges or building a y pipe then.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/8/19 8:11 a.m.
Knurled. said:

I like LT1s, but there's so much of them that is similar-but-different that they can be maddening.

I always said that the LT1's biggest weakness was the existence of the LS engine. If the LS engine hadn't come along and replaced it so shortly after it was introduced, I think the LT1 would be a lot higher regarded. It was pretty brilliant in some respects.

Opti
Opti Dork
7/8/19 8:11 a.m.

I'm pretty sure it will work. LT1 manifold were a popular upgrade for sbcs for low clearance applications. It may not be perfect but my understanding was even a square port sbc header will cover the LT1 d port.

The best place to check would thirdgen.org. the chassis originally came with a sbc and many people upgrade to LT1. I think there consensus was it may not be perfect but it works. Id reccomend doing some quick searching over there

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
7/8/19 8:25 a.m.

The budget headers for lt1 b bodies used to be the flowtech 2nd gen camaro afterburners.  It’ll likely seal, you’ll just give up some smooth flow.  

If you’re at like $1500 or less it’s too good to pass up.  The transmission is 90% of the value, I couldn’t give away a low mile lt1 a few years back and it got scrapped.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/8/19 8:46 a.m.
NickD said:
Knurled. said:

I always said that the LT1's biggest weakness was the existence of the LS engine. If the LS engine hadn't come along and replaced it so shortly after it was introduced, I think the LT1 would be a lot higher regarded. It was pretty brilliant in some respects.

That and the glass wristpins.

And the front dress that was like a Mogwai.  If you got it wet, you got a lot of gremlins.

Opti
Opti Dork
7/8/19 9:23 a.m.

In reply to Knurled. :

Ehh it's a little overblown, Ive pressure washed every LT1 I've owned or worked on, vented and non vented Opti, it hasn't caused an problems that wouldn't have also happened on a normal distributor equipped vehicle

NickD
NickD PowerDork
7/8/19 9:31 a.m.
Knurled. said:
NickD said:
Knurled. said:

That and the glass wristpins.

And the front dress that was like a Mogwai.  If you got it wet, you got a lot of gremlins.

I imagine if the 2nd-gen had lasted a bit longer than it's 5-year shelf life (and I imagine not too much R&D was going on with it the last year or so as they were working on the LS1) they might have ironed out those issues.

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
7/8/19 1:06 p.m.
Opti said:

In reply to Knurled. :

Ehh it's a little overblown, Ive pressure washed every LT1 I've owned or worked on, vented and non vented Opti, it hasn't caused an problems that wouldn't have also happened on a normal distributor equipped vehicle

I've had the opposite of that luck.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dX83bRHjizp4RunnlkyiZRiQOV3ogbUYdakJ5pfCvqxlAxazMo3mXj2Rv3FYJPGZ