Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/27/20 12:51 p.m.

I have seen somewhere that when you did the Modern Midget project car that you did double bearing hubs and modified some parts to make the Ebrake still work. If that's true, would you happen to have any details/pictures and anecdotes about how that worked out?  Then again, I am presuming that you kept drums on the back...

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/27/20 12:55 p.m.

Hmmmm, let me see if we can answer that question for you. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/27/20 12:58 p.m.

Mucho appreciated.  I have mine blown apart in my shop working out just how it can all work together and if someone else has done it before it always helps to see their solution.

David S. Wallens
4/27/20 1:00 p.m.

Did we cover this in the magazine stories? I honestly don't remember. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/27/20 1:03 p.m.

I honestly dont know if I ever got those issues...  It was a time before I thought I would be owning one of these cars as a project and my sub lapsed a few times in my poor college student era.

I totally get it if those details are lost to time. Nothing ventured, nothing gained as far as asking.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
4/27/20 7:20 p.m.

I did make the handbrake work with the double bearing hubs and we did stick with rear drums.  My recollection (it was like 15 years ago...) is that I had to do some minor clearancing on the shoes and a bit more on the handbrake pivot linkage behind the shoes.  I remember being annoyed by it, but that it didn't take a lot of work.  I probably have some pictures in the archives.  If I do, I will post the relevant ones.

We did the MGB caliper/Spitfire rotor conversion on the front and expected to need a little more brake on the rear, so we put MGB/GT wheel cylinders in the rear (larger bore).  Those were too much so we tried MGB (not quite as large), still too much.  So in the end we stuck with Midget wheel cylinders.

I don't think we measured the 60-0 on that car, but it was a great setup that stopped like a modern car (except no booster mush).

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/28/20 5:16 a.m.

I really appreciate the insight. I am also adding 7/16th studs to the mix on mine, which it looks like I am going to have to grind the backs of to clear the spridget wheel cylinder in addition to relocating the brake springs and the handbrake while also grinding off the oil slingers. 

If you happen to find a pic it might save me a good bit of trial and error.

Carl Heideman
Carl Heideman
4/28/20 11:39 a.m.

I found a couple of pictures.  Looks like we modified the backing plates by cutting out the center support. 

I also remember doing some clearancing work on the handbrake linkage inside the drum and maybe the shoes, but didn't find pictures.   The picture below doesn't show those modifications, but I think we did have to grind a little once it was all assembled.

I know the Winners' Circle thought we were wasting our time to do this, but we like handbrakes on street cars.  Anyway, here's the picture showing it almost assembled.  It did all fit after the fussing.  I hope this helps a little.

David S. Wallens
4/28/20 12:39 p.m.

Thank you, Carl. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
4/28/20 8:39 p.m.

Thanks so much.  It looks like you made out with moving stuff less than I thought. Do you recall having to relocate the spring holes on the shoes? It looks like your upper spring at least is more offset than what was on my backing plates, but I have a new pair on the way and will see what they look like. Both springs currently rub on mine, but they are spridget mania parts.

Again, thanks so much. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m0wdg487hNGR2vgT1UkK39M6CurDOERXwwSTChOQ91lBHARy1wIWF25pLsZPM4hE