1 2
Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
8/25/15 6:06 p.m.

Anyone here use or has used Maine trailer tags as a non-resident? Anyone recommend a company that they have worked with in the past, I have a title and tags. Long story short the ass-clowns that did my tag and title work berkeleyed up and is now going to cost me another $150 to unberkeley this mess. The trailer only cost $180 (H.F tire trailer) and was a world class PIA to get the thing this far.

Thanks, Paul

imgon
imgon New Reader
8/25/15 8:12 p.m.

Try these guys, http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/ I have both my personal trailers and our work trailer reg'd through them. Very easy, just send appropriate paperwork and a check and in a few weeks have a new plate god for 5 years, I think you can get longer if you want.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
8/25/15 8:26 p.m.

Cool, "god" plates for five years

Thanks, Paul

petegossett
petegossett PowerDork
8/25/15 11:00 p.m.

Yes I have them on my trailer here in IL. Much cheaper registration.

peter
peter Dork
8/26/15 12:15 a.m.

I used http://www.mbi-trailers.com/ for my HF trailer. Easy button.

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
8/26/15 12:26 a.m.

Wow, good to know. Here in Mass a trailer costs $20 per year per 1000 pounds of registered weight. Same thing for pickup trucks with a GVW over 9900 pounds. That means my 7000 pound rated car trailer costs $140 ever year. But it gets better. The reg runs end of November to end of November, even if you go to register it for the first time in mid November like I did. I get my registration and plate at the window, and as I'm about to walk away, she says, "here, might as well take the renewal now because you won't get it in time in the mail" I'm like... What! you couldn't tell me that before I wrote out a check for $140. I could have just waited a couple of weeks to register it. Thats why my trailer is now my dad's trailer. He lives in RI and it costs $23 every 3 years.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/26/15 6:59 a.m.

the only question I have about Maine registered trailers, is how do other states treat you … especially Maryland, which I have it on good authority that they will impound your trailer AND it's contents if you don't meet their rules …

trailer reg, and tagged same as your tow vehicle … good to go (usually) … no tag, odds are you're not going to get where you were headed, with your trailer, when you wanted to be there …

so Maine tagged trailer, NC tagged tow vehicle ????? or better yet, Maine tagged trailer, and TN tagged vehicle (TN doesn't require tags for smaller trailers)

bigev007
bigev007 Reader
8/26/15 7:20 a.m.

In reply to wbjones: Every uhaul trailer (that I've ever seen, anyway) has AZ tags, so it can't be that much of an issue.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
8/26/15 7:38 a.m.

I have a trailer with no history, never registered anywhere. So get a Maine registration to prove ownership and then sell it to myself to get plates in my home State?

Dan

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/26/15 8:32 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

I live in MD, and use the Maine trailer tags. I think the co. I used was Ace trailer reg in Cumberland, ME. Really nice people to deal with. Anyway, I think the issue you run into here is folks trying to use the ME reg to skirt having a safely-operable trailer- you know, fenders, lights, brakes, no obviously falling off crap or sketchy looking tires.

I actually had a conversation about MD's horrible MVA with my local delegate, and he asked me what I was doing about my trailers. I told him about the Maine reg thing, to which his response was, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea". When the people in government tell you to avoid your state's system if possible, you know E36 M3's berkeleyed up.

The only other state I know of that has an issue is Delaware, and from what I've heard it's with boat trailers. They have some rule that if the boat is registered in Delaware, the trailer must match. Supposedly police will sit at boat ramps and hand out citations.

singleslammer
singleslammer UberDork
8/26/15 9:12 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

It looks like they ( http://www.mainetrailerregistrations.com/) will get you a title for $55 so yeah, it appears so.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/26/15 11:30 a.m.
volvoclearinghouse wrote: In reply to wbjones: I live in MD, and use the Maine trailer tags. I think the co. I used was Ace trailer reg in Cumberland, ME. Really nice people to deal with. Anyway, I think the issue you run into here is folks trying to use the ME reg to skirt having a safely-operable trailer- you know, fenders, lights, brakes, no obviously falling off crap or sketchy looking tires. I actually had a conversation about MD's horrible MVA with my local delegate, and he asked me what I was doing about my trailers. I told him about the Maine reg thing, to which his response was, "Yeah, that sounds like a good idea". When the people in government tell you to avoid your state's system if possible, you know E36 M3's berkeleyed up. The only other state I know of that has an issue is Delaware, and from what I've heard it's with boat trailers. They have some rule that if the boat is registered in Delaware, the trailer must match. Supposedly police will sit at boat ramps and hand out citations.

the problems a couple of friends of mine have had stemmed from them being from TN … no tag required for certain level of trailer .. they had open, single car trailers … (as I said, no tag required)

they were stopped in MD and their trailers confiscated/impounded … along with anything on the trailer … obviously they didn't make it to the race they had planned on attending … plus lots of headache and $$ to get their property back

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse SuperDork
8/26/15 12:25 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

AH...yes, no tag will get you some problems. I had that issue in West-by-God-Virginia once. We lived in SC at the time, which also doesn't require tags on small trailers. My wife got pulled over pulling our little 4 x 8 utility trailer. Officer let her off, but was confused that SC didn't require plates on trailers, apparently.

I got pulled over in NC once, about 10 miles out of SC, for having no trailer tag. It was on a double car trailer. The officer asked me, "You got engines in those cars?". Sensing the issue, I replied, "no". Apparently it was a weight thing with having no tag on the trailer.

I knew guys in SC who put Maine tags on their trailers just to avoid the hassle when traveling interstate. 100 bucks for a 10 year tag.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/26/15 1:20 p.m.

theoretically ALL states MUST honor the requirements of other states … in reality not so much … I've been stopped in VA for no front tag … NC doesn't issue/require front tags … the officer knew this .. we were in Danville on the way to VIR … so no more than 3 or 4 mi. into VA from NC … plus he patrolled that road all the time, and was very much aware of NC's tag laws … he was just PO'ed because he had to make a U turn and run me down … because all he saw as we approached each other was OMG NO TAG … when he got up behind me he could clearly see I was driving a NC car … jackass

motomoron
motomoron SuperDork
8/26/15 4:27 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

When I balled up my tow vehicle on 270 on the way to Summit Point the last race of 2013, the State Troopers were nice enough to have to tow truck pull me to the weigh station a mile up the road to drop my (Maine tagged) trailer and truck contents pending my being picked up by a friend and his truck who were delayed by the immense traffic berkeleyup I created.

At the lot the 2 troopers turned to 3 and then 5. Then he wanted to have a heart-to-heart discussion about something that was troubling him deeply.

It turned out in all the hubbub I'd given him the old registration from before I transferred my 3 year Maine plate from the 16' Big Tex steel open trailer I'd gotten it for which was stolen before I got it on the trailer to the 14' Pennstyle deckover I have now. I'd been told by the county cops to keep the old registration w/ me in case I ever run across the stolen trailer.

Eventually he came to where he'd directed me to "SIT RIGHT THERE" and informed me "My story checked out".

'That's because it's not a story, but I'm glad it's all good" snarked I.

He took no issue at all with the Maine tags, likely because they're on about 50% of all semi trailers.

I've towed thousands of miles and never had any issue. And it's cheap, easy and there's never any inspection.

Do it.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy SuperDork
8/27/15 1:28 a.m.

All that is easier than just getting a tag for a homemade trailer? Here it's swing by the scale on the way to the courthouse, grab the assigned serial number form, stamp the numbers in while in the parking lot, fetch a peace officer to verify the serial number you stamped matches the form, then back inside with your $20 for the plate, title to show up in the mail 10 days later. Trying to get the truck stop attendant to understand you over the cat scale intercom is the hardest part.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
8/27/15 4:58 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: All that is easier than just getting a tag for a homemade trailer? Here it's swing by the scale on the way to the courthouse, grab the assigned serial number form, stamp the numbers in while in the parking lot, fetch a peace officer to verify the serial number you stamped matches the form, then back inside with your $20 for the plate, title to show up in the mail 10 days later. Trying to get the truck stop attendant to understand you over the cat scale intercom is the hardest part.

Lucky you. Here ir generally requires photographs and build documentation and a special construction and identification inspection (where you have to get the trailer to site, without transporting it) to get your VIN. Then you may or may not have to have another inspection for safety equipment (they don't check the lights at the above one). You then finally get to fill out forms for tags, and have to lie about insurance because the forms require vehicle specific insurance (we all just use the primary tow vehicle policy). Pay lots of stupid money at almost every step, and you'll finally have your tags.

Or, fill out a simple form, pay a set fee, and get your Maine tags.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/27/15 6:21 a.m.
oldopelguy wrote: All that is easier than just getting a tag for a homemade trailer? Here it's swing by the scale on the way to the courthouse, grab the assigned serial number form, stamp the numbers in while in the parking lot, fetch a peace officer to verify the serial number you stamped matches the form, then back inside with your $20 for the plate, title to show up in the mail 10 days later. Trying to get the truck stop attendant to understand you over the cat scale intercom is the hardest part.

again … depends on the state … TN, no tag required … so it is a PITA to get a tag for a small trailer .. they do have tags for larger trailers .. but still a PITA

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
8/27/15 6:44 a.m.

Still find it slightly funny it's nothing short of the wild west in regards to trailers in Maine but is the complete opposite in regards to registering anything else in that state.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
8/27/15 6:54 a.m.

I had my old trailer reg'd in Maine. Worked fine.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 Dork
8/27/15 8:20 a.m.

All untagged trailers are from TN. Even ones I am towing. Never been a problem.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
8/27/15 10:16 a.m.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
1/25/19 7:41 a.m.

Hey folks, I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a Maine trailer outfit for a title and plates. I've got a "home built" trailer that needs a VIN and the local process seems....difficult! Thanks in advance.

No Time
No Time Dork
1/25/19 7:58 a.m.

Is it possible to get a Maine trailer registration in person if you live in Mass (or any other state)? Or is it mail order only?

I will be in Maine in August, so I could possibly go in person. 

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UberDork
1/25/19 8:07 a.m.

Funny this thread just popped back up, my Maine reg on my trailer is expiring this February and I need to renew.  

I have a card on my desk from "Maine Trailer" www.mainetrailer.com that I'm going to call.  I think the outfit I used last time is no longer in business or got bought by these guys.

I also understand that Vermont has a fairly user-friendly reg process.  

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sfWmORWU92TNjr6TSgFu0aGsNhTHCLsBjg4Y7De9gJDHJ3NXbmMICUuYt3TSSZWf