1 2 3 4
mariusg
mariusg
2/27/19 7:22 p.m.

I have for sale a 90 190e Mercedes Benz 2.6 Speed Manual Baby benz!

160k By owner Needs Love 

Runs and drives good

Minor Rust 

Rare!

considering all offers!

Rare 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/27/19 7:50 p.m.

I'll take it for $50!

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/27/19 8:11 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Nah. He knows what he has. laugh

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel Dork
2/27/19 11:03 p.m.

No disrespect to Marius, but framing the picture of your Mercedes with a Dodge Intrepid and four trash bins doesn't seem like the hot tip, context-wise.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Reader
2/27/19 11:38 p.m.

Particularly hard to sell with no contact info.....

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
2/28/19 6:50 a.m.
mariusg said:

I have for sale a 90 190e Mercedes Benz 2.6 Speed Manual Baby benz!

160k By owner Needs Love 

Runs and drives good

Minor Rust 

Rare!

considering all offers!

Rare 

Location and how much? 

mariusg
mariusg New Reader
2/28/19 8:20 a.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Willowbrook IL taking offers? 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/28/19 8:56 a.m.

What is wrong with it? What needs to be done to drive this everyday for a year? How are the main consumables (brakes, tires, clutch)? What does need love mean? 

I can come look at it tonight after 5. Literally will be in Willowbrook around 5:15. 

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/28/19 9:11 a.m.

In reply to mariusg :

I was joking above but from a buyer/seller that averages 5 plus cars a year the make offer doesn't attract me as a buyer. I translate that to offer me way more than it's worth or I'll just say no. A price tells me a lot about a car and how much the seller actually wants to sell.  I don't care if you give me the blue book price but at least give me one.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
2/28/19 10:18 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to mariusg :

I was joking above but from a buyer/seller that averages 5 plus cars a year the make offer doesn't attract me as a buyer. I translate that to offer me way more than it's worth or I'll just say no. A price tells me a lot about a car and how much the seller actually wants to sell.  I don't care if you give me the blue book price but at least give me one.

this times 1000. 

What if I actually want to buy the car and therefore don't want to insult the seller with my honest offer? What if I actually want to buy the car for $3k, and have cash money ready to go, and go look at the car and decide it is indeed worth 3k, only to find the seller wants close to 10k. Well, I just wasted a bunch of two people's time and insulted a fellow car person. 

If you want to have an auction, use ebay/BAT/etc, find an auction house, or heck, even advertise your own auction at a specified time and place and sell it to the highest bidder there. 

but 'taking offers' is a pile of steaming BS.

p.s. I'll give you $51 for it. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
2/28/19 10:33 a.m.

Oh, I forgot my offer. 

I'll offer the same that I paid for the last early 90's European 4 cylinder manual RWD Running/driving/rusty car that I bought: $300. Hell, I'll even adjust for inflation: $325. That is cash in hand, tonight--assuming  you have a title.

Robbie, if I buy this can I store it in your driveway for a few weeks?

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
2/28/19 10:46 a.m.
mtn said:

Oh, I forgot my offer. 

I'll offer the same that I paid for the last early 90's European 4 cylinder manual RWD Running/driving/rusty car that I bought: $300. Hell, I'll even adjust for inflation: $325. That is cash in hand, tonight--assuming  you have a title.

Robbie, if I buy this can I store it in your driveway for a few weeks?

not sure if serious, but seriously: of course!

JBasham
JBasham HalfDork
2/28/19 12:07 p.m.

Two friends of mine have owned that chassis with the smaller Cosworth motor.  Both used it for dedicated HPDE duty.  They absolutely loved it.

I wouldn't want one as my "only" track car, but it's the sort of thing I would love to have in the fleet.  That slot in my lineup is held by my '79 3 series coupe.  It ain't fast.  It's a handful to handle.  It needs a lot of minor maintenance support.  It feels and drives like a whole 'nother category from all the stuff that followed.  It has taught me a lot about car control.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UltraDork
2/28/19 12:30 p.m.

I'd go $500 if it was nearby.  I don't see too many of these anymore which is surprising in the heart of Europe, er, DC. smiley

I will never tire of posting a photo like this.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture PowerDork
2/28/19 12:40 p.m.

Man, I forgot about this old thread.

I wanted the 190E super bad but the seller was difficult to deal with - car had a stuck rear brake caliper and lived in a storage unit and I absolutely could not work out a time with him to meet and try to patch it up. Car was beautiful, blood red with a tan interior, but between the schedule struggles and unobtainium parts I passed on it (instead buying a Saab 9000 that turned out to be a huge POS money pit).

Still never owned a Benz but need to scratch that itch someday.

Stampie
Stampie PowerDork
2/28/19 1:16 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

^ I think bidding is up to $325 so here's your chance. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
2/28/19 2:43 p.m.

I had one with an auto.  I put new shocks (Kyb I think) and some decent tires (Yok's I think) it was a really fun street car.  The down side is the back seat.  It looks like a back seat but that is all.  Car seats don't fit at all and regular people for get about it.  Really a two seater that ahs two more seats and doors to keep insurance lower.  The 2.6 is a nice motor.  Good torque and silky smooth.    

Oh and I almost forgot about the rust.  These cars get the tin worm like all Merc's of this period.  It was just starting when I sold mine.  I was sad to see it go but our family out grew quickly. 

My old car.

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
2/28/19 3:48 p.m.
mariusg said:

In reply to yupididit :

Willowbrook IL taking offers? 

$330

mariusg
mariusg New Reader
2/28/19 6:25 p.m.

Ok I Don’t expect 10k for this car, but I do like all the reactions I’m getting, lots of inquires just looking for serious buyers,

car needs rear brakes and rotors, some rust spots fixed, e brake doesn’t work, drivers seat is torn, other then that car drives great! 

mariusg
mariusg New Reader
2/28/19 6:27 p.m.

mariusg
mariusg New Reader
2/28/19 6:28 p.m.

Also have some pretty rare wheels to go with it , But the tires are shot

mariusg
mariusg New Reader
2/28/19 6:29 p.m.

Brotus7
Brotus7 HalfDork
2/28/19 7:59 p.m.

This thread just got me searching the local classifieds for Cosworth...

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/28/19 8:07 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

I’m closer to IL than you are! laugh

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
2/28/19 8:11 p.m.

In reply to mariusg :

These are great little cars.  How’s the interior?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DpGzi18ll5ABKuTe7dS7cWdS8b3x8qlc0k9faVL4gFtLFOgpeQc47zzH0FiSn8AT