3/2/19 2:04 p.m.
yupididit said:

Dean! Calm down lol

I say that everyday. 

You mean I should not be excited about the 12 year warranty?  wink

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/2/19 2:19 p.m.

When was the last time you got a 12 year warranty on a cars paint?  It even fills in small pin holes. And lord knows the way Mercs of that vintage rust that would be a huge plus. 

I bet I would have the only car with a paint job that meets ASTM standard D-2824 Type III for 65% solar reflectance. 

gunner
gunner HalfDork
3/2/19 8:12 p.m.

Huh. Resurrecting a thread to sell your car. Thats a new move to me. Very craigslisty OP which is not a compliment. Right board but we do have a couple classified forums to post this in on the board . What you are missing here is we are very interested in your car and very real and honest in our opinions. If you came here to get an idea of what your car is worth, ok. you came the right place. You also got your answer. If you are serious about selling your Merc, you need to list an asking price. Or this thread is going to fade into obscurity with fading interest. I think there is probably a buyer on this board who is probably lurking this thread and not posting. In case it wasn't clear from other posts.

POST AN ASKING PRICE FOR YOUR CAR PLEASE.

Thank you. GLWS.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/3/19 8:08 a.m.

I am not kidding about this build by the way. It is what I would do with it.   Then add lightness by taking as much of the interior out as possible. The back seat would go away as would the heavy seats. It would be interesting to see if there was a manual window option for these cars. Or one that could be added. Wide wheels would be interesting. I am a huge proponent of steel wheels. I think they may be the best option for the offset as well as width I would need.  I wonder if a set of cast off featherlight modified wheels would give me the offset I would need for the fender flairs.  Springs could be custom wound or just cut the stock ones to lower it. Shocks are cheep.  This car uses shocks all the way around.  No struts.  The car could use upgraded bars but I am sure I could get something to work.  Maybe cut something down from a light truck or from a f body.  Beyond that just make sure the brakes are right with some upgraded pads. It would be a fun lowbuck track rat. 

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
3/3/19 8:25 a.m.

Manual windows were available in Europe. Hard to find here because window regulators are kind of bulky, therefore expensive to ship. I have a full set in my parts stash, but it took a long while to find them.

Wide wheels are a challenge as the W201 chassis has comically small wheel wells. Plus, the wheel “arches” aren’t actually arches ... they’re cut straight. That’s makes it tricky to roll fenders. You’d need to actually cut out the fenders and install flares ... which is also tricky if you want to be able to open the rear doors (minimal clearance between the arch and the door at the rear).

ARBs, brakes, and a bunch of other stuff are easy to upgrade. Benzes from this era were built like Legos: tons of parts from the larger W124 and R129 will bolt right up. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/3/19 8:53 a.m.

The wheel issue is why I was thinking steel. Probably 15?  I don’t remember what my car had but they were small. Why I was thinking the featherlight modified wheels. They have a crazy offset that would push the wheels out a good amount. 

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/3/19 8:53 a.m.

Since these cars rust at the wheel wells cutting them open may not be the worst thing for the car. 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
3/3/19 9:01 a.m.

The clk wheels should work. They're 16", +37 offset, very light (14lbs), and will clear late model w124 calipers.  

They look good on a w201

mariusg
mariusg New Reader
3/3/19 10:56 a.m.

Update” Car has Been Sold

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/3/19 11:05 a.m.

Ohhh I like those wheels

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
3/3/19 6:18 p.m.

What did u get for it?  

LanEvo
LanEvo HalfDork
3/3/19 10:22 p.m.

In reply to yupididit :

Those CLK wheels you posted are forged and made by Fuchs. Great wheels, but 16” isn’t the best option for a track-driven W201. The gearing is already too tall, so sticking with 225/45/15 helps with acceleration out of corners. 

2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FuqC5B39S3gFg2txlHd0rwtg17JlLGaLawcJzfbifPwc4zkzekmyTf8rdHIRj0OH