ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
10/8/12 8:54 p.m.

Hi guys, one of my coworkers drives a 2004 Maxima and is having problem with its ABS module. He checked with a local shop and Nissan dealership both said that he needed new ABS module and it'd cost him anywhere from $1,500 to $2,000 to change the ABS module. Is the ABS module a known issue with this year of Maxima and is that a reasonable cost to change the ABS module assuming you pay a shop to do it? Is there a cheaper way to fix it? Thanks all.

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
10/8/12 9:29 p.m.

Yes it is a very common problem. There is a TSB for the issue as well, water doesn't drain from the rear knuckles properly and corrosion builds up taking out the rear sensor and sometimes hub, then the actuator. The TSB states the issue is only with the right rear but Nissan Techline and my own experience shows that the left rear will do the same. I've seen several have the RR hub and sensor replaced only to come back a few days later for the actuator throwing codes, or needing a LR sensor and hub, of getting the actuator and RR hub/sensor replaced only to have the LR hub/sensor start acting up and take out the new actuator shortly after.

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
10/8/12 10:07 p.m.

Here is the TSB.
http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/baddad1/2009-12-06_140419_NTB07-016b.pdf

I normally grind out more than what they say. Also, take care removing the bolt for the sensor (shown in figure 2) it will often be seized and snap, be very carefull drilling it out as if it`s not straight or centered properly it will effect the air gap for the sensor and possibly cause issues.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
10/9/12 3:58 p.m.
Run_Away wrote: Here is the TSB. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/baddad1/2009-12-06_140419_NTB07-016b.pdf I normally grind out more than what they say. Also, take care removing the bolt for the sensor (shown in figure 2) it will often be seized and snap, be very carefull drilling it out as if it`s not straight or centered properly it will effect the air gap for the sensor and possibly cause issues.

Interesting. If there's a TSB for this does it mean that this should've been covered under warranty or Maxima owners are on their own on this one?

Run_Away
Run_Away Reader
10/9/12 7:52 p.m.
ea_sport wrote:
Run_Away wrote: Here is the TSB. http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/baddad1/2009-12-06_140419_NTB07-016b.pdf I normally grind out more than what they say. Also, take care removing the bolt for the sensor (shown in figure 2) it will often be seized and snap, be very carefull drilling it out as if it`s not straight or centered properly it will effect the air gap for the sensor and possibly cause issues.
Interesting. If there's a TSB for this does it mean that this should've been covered under warranty or Maxima owners are on their own on this one?

Nope, TSBs are only covered under warranty if the vehicle is still under warranty and are only to be performed if the vehicle is exhibiting the symptoms or fault codes described in the bulletin.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
quO1eC2pG1idL2UXACaXPR3Rf7aZR16MJdfxTMbR3vnNKqhupk84CB4ZaMX1Ur6r