1 2 3
_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 12:10 p.m.

Taking a closer examination of the “cxracing” coilovers that came on the miata... I noticed they looked nothing like the pictures on cxracing’s website. Now I know that cxracing coilovers aren’t all that great, and I accepted that. 

However.... when trying to do some damper adjustments today, I went on eBay to try and identify these coilovers I had. 

Much to my dismay I have “maxpeedingrods” brand. Aka- 350$ eBay coilovers. Yikes. 

So- now begins the quest for new shocks and springs. I autocross a few times a year. No track days, but I want to do a TNIA. Mainly a daily driver. 

I read up on the new Penske shocks for spec Miata. 

Move also read I should just get koni shocks and use oem springs. 

Suggestions? Also, anyone got some oem springs? 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/22/18 12:25 p.m.

Hey, you watch your mouth. The infamous Hoonigans Sh!tcar E36 is rocking the Maxpeedingrods.

No, I'm sure they are actually horrendous coilovers

_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 12:33 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

That’s one of the reasons I know these are so trash. Lol. The actual company name is “Maxspeedingrods”, but the nomenclature isn’t spelled that way, and if a company can’t even afford a space between words, I have to assume they took some major liberties with these coilovers. Haha.... SMH.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
8/22/18 12:46 p.m.

So are their rods crap too? 

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/22/18 12:54 p.m.

Went on their website and saw they listed turbochargers and got this "No doubt Turbocharger is important to auto engine, while choose balanced turbo to improve car speed is popular. Maxpeedingrods.com now gives good chance for car modified fans to get low price good quality turbocharger.  With 10 years engine parts manufacture experience, wholesale engine parts Maxpeedingrods.com becomes hot car racing parts center. Many customers like us. We are waiting for you." Crikey.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/22/18 12:59 p.m.

I just purchased Maxspeedingrods adjustable control arms for my challenge car. 

_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 1:02 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Sweet Jesus... I’m waiting to do my first autox on these. If you guys here of some internet story where a guy in a ‘97 miata has his suspension disintegrate at the first corner and all the autox attendees died, it was me... 

stuart in mn
stuart in mn UltimaDork
8/22/18 1:02 p.m.
NickD said:

Went on their website and saw they listed turbochargers and got this "No doubt Turbocharger is important to auto engine, while choose balanced turbo to improve car speed is popular. Maxpeedingrods.com now gives good chance for car modified fans to get low price good quality turbocharger.  With 10 years engine parts manufacture experience, wholesale engine parts Maxpeedingrods.com becomes hot car racing parts center. Many customers like us. We are waiting for you." Crikey.

That reads like the instructions on cheap fireworks.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
8/22/18 1:06 p.m.

Just get some koni sports and some used springs

_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 1:10 p.m.

In reply to Toebra :

So oem springs are the “answer”? I didn’t know if the internet posts I was reading were talking about spec miata springs or the factory miata springs. 

Apexcarver
Apexcarver UltimaDork
8/22/18 1:40 p.m.

koni yellow and ground control.

Either pony up for race valved fronts (rears are fine) and get rates 700F/400R

Or, standard valving front and rates of 550F/375R (whats on mine, then again, consider going a touch softer on rear if you are going to track)

Oh yeah, go get the racing beat adjustable front swaybar (and reinforcement if you dont care about rules) and if you are like me, you can throw the rear swaybar in the attic. 

SOUP

NickD
NickD UberDork
8/22/18 2:04 p.m.
Apexcarver said:

.... if you are like me, you can throw the rear swaybar in the attic. 

I think mine is under my bench at work. Or perhaps in the back of the Grand Cherokee that I sold my father. Not sure.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
8/22/18 2:07 p.m.

Curious-can those maxpeedingrods cartridges be disassembled? I wondering what the guts look like and if they're comparable/swap-able to any of the big brands.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
8/22/18 2:26 p.m.

Guys, anyone looking for shocks is well advised to look up BC Racing adjustables.  Excellent product at a good price - paid around $1,000 for all four on one of my cars.  Well made (in Taiwan) come with  range of springs and have been well received in casual competition use (real racers will probably want double adjustables - at double the price or more).

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
8/22/18 2:42 p.m.

I’ve bought some interestingly named stuff from ilovetacotaco and maxpeedingrods

_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 2:45 p.m.

In reply to 2GRX7 :

Since I’m buying newer, trustworthy stuff, I could dissect these and report back. My problem is I don’t exactly know what to look for in terms of quality or crap. Any pointers? The springs look decent. They even have the rating stamped on each spring. The hardware doesn’t look terrible. The shocks are what I fret. What is the damping? What is the design? 

_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 2:50 p.m.

Found this : lmao. 

Adjustable ride height

* Adjustable pre-load spring tension

* Pillow ball top mount -- this design helps combat noise while tuning. It also improves the steering feel and response

* Most components are made from 6063 aluminum with T6 for increased hardness -- the advantages include excellent strength, and aluminum helps keep the weight down.

* Hi Tensile performance spring - Under 600,000 times continuously test, the spring distortion is less than 0.04%. Plus, the special surface treatment is to improve the durability and performance.

* All inserts come with fitted rubber boots to protect the damper and keep clean.

* A fast and affordable way to easily upgrade your car's appearance.

* Easy installation with right tools.

Notice

* No instruction included

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
8/22/18 3:16 p.m.
Patrick said:

I’ve bought some interestingly named stuff(ilovetacotaco) but not sure I’d buy from Max Pee Dingrods

Someone needs to build a car with an ilovetacotaco turbo, Maxspeedingrods coilovers and DICKASS brakes.

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
8/22/18 5:36 p.m.

In reply to _ :

OH-please do! I'd love to see whose disks/pistons they've chosen to copy. If they did, in fact, copy a top name brand, well we all know what that means, heh, heh!

2GRX7
2GRX7 Reader
8/22/18 5:41 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Patrick said:

I’ve bought some interestingly named stuff(ilovetacotaco) but not sure I’d buy from Max Pee Dingrods

Someone needs to build a car with an ilovetacotaco turbo, Maxspeedingrods coilovers and DICKASS brakes.

SMH!

_
_ New Reader
8/22/18 6:44 p.m.

In reply to 2GRX7 :

IKR. Who is in Charge of naming these companies?

Knurled.
Knurled. MegaDork
8/22/18 6:55 p.m.

For what it is worth.

Maxspeedingrods is a eBay seller of components of dubious quality.

Maxpeedingrods (note lack of S) is a forum spammer.

When I realized this, i also realized that there is in fact a level of "nope" lower than cheap eBay garbage...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/22/18 7:24 p.m.
stuart in mn said:
NickD said:

That reads like the instructions on cheap fireworks.

HAHHAHHAHHAHAHAHHAA! That just made my day. Thank you Stu.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett MegaDork
8/22/18 7:30 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Definitely go for Koni Sports on some ~400#/325# springs, and get a pair of extended mounts for the rear - either NB or aftermarket. Your ride on the street will drastically improve, as will the autox performance. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
8/22/18 8:10 p.m.
GameboyRMH said:
Patrick said:

Those DICKASS brakes are still available on Alibaba. Looks like they rebranded to Dic Case over on AliExpress. 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Tzda6hfzBcqyS3Aobg9BvD5paMcFQ9qY6X4V1YGZYiNU8vhz8SlSOlK1qiQdclUU