vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/4/17 7:33 p.m.

2013 Mazda 2 sport 5 speed, 90k miles

At about 2500 rpm regardless of gear under light load or part throttle engine appears to miss. No codes, no flashing MIL. 

No issues if I stay away from that rpm unfortunately  that's where it tends to cruise at.

Thoughts? The Mazda sites/forums have little info following searches and inquiries.

Thanks

JtspellS
JtspellS SuperDork
11/4/17 8:14 p.m.

Would check the coils/plugs first if 90k is more accurate, beyond that your MAF would be the the next thing to check IMHO, but i don't have too much MZ2 experience but knowing all other Mazdas I've owned that's where I would start.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy UltimaDork
11/4/17 9:35 p.m.

Carbon tracked plug and coil boot.

That's always the first thing to look at, anyway.

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
11/5/17 12:54 a.m.

90 or 90k miles?

Spark plugs are super common on these for causing random misfire problems... the factory Fomoco plugs usually don't even last to the 75k change interval. Replace with NGK BKR5EIX whatever part number equivalent. 

Check out the M2O Mazda2 Owner's Facebook group if you're on there... all of the community is basically there. There are no active forums for them anymore.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/5/17 2:53 p.m.
flatlander937 said:

90 or 90k miles?

Spark plugs are super common on these for causing random misfire problems... the factory Fomoco plugs usually don't even last to the 75k change interval. Replace with NGK BKR5EIX whatever part number equivalent. 

Check out the M2O Mazda2 Owner's Facebook group if you're on there... all of the community is basically there. There are no active forums for them anymore.

90k. Stupid nook keyboard and it's terrible spell check.

Plugs were replaced last year.

Guess I'll start with ignition and work from there. Hadn't thought of carbon tracking.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
11/5/17 6:35 p.m.

Let us know what you find. 

I'm in the market for one of these, and I'd love to know how they are reliability-wise. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/5/17 7:03 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Let us know what you find. 

I'm in the market for one of these, and I'd love to know how they are reliability-wise. 

Don't hesitate based on my story. This car has been trouble free up to now. And it's given me mile after mile of great drives. Awesome autocrosser BTW.

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
11/6/17 9:12 p.m.

Cool! 

I'm looking for something practical that I can also autocross. I'm having a hard time finding a MT around me, but I'm going to keep looking. Also shopping the 3 and 6 wagon. I liked the 3 I drove, but want to try the 2. The 6 is more practical, but less of an autocrosser obviously. 

How is the storage ability?

Good luck with the fix!

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/7/17 7:25 p.m.

Plenty of room inside though I do wish the seats folded flat. Mine was the only manual trans in Vermont when I found it. 

vwcorvette
vwcorvette SuperDork
11/12/17 3:57 p.m.

New information. Engine code p0171, bank 1 system too lean. So far I've only done a check of all hoses all ND vacuum lines to and from intake. I tightened up the clamp holding the MAF/Corksport  intake. Drove about 15 miles and checked the readiness codes but the EV system has yet to set. We'll  see what happens  on the way to garage tomorrow. Still has a stumble about 2500 rpm. Freeze frame data shows code set at about that rpm.

sergio
sergio Reader
11/12/17 9:42 p.m.

For the lean code there’s a vacuum leak between the Maf and the cylinders. Could be a leaky evap purge valve or pcv hose. The rpm  miss might be a dirty Maf. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hMdQgj0Kkl9dPRgQHxAVSWtnnQbNOZvdl4ybVLgE929ZWfFAHJN31zq6RZg3kzyH