mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
8/20/13 12:03 p.m.

Oooooooo......off to eBay to search for CDM parts.

rustysteel
rustysteel New Reader
8/20/13 7:04 p.m.

I was lucky to drive the Bspec Mazda2 at our last autocross. It was awesome, set my fastest time of the day with it, made my Mustang sad. This is the exact car that I drove. Now I want one.

Bspec Mazda2

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress HalfDork
8/20/13 8:45 p.m.

I want a B-Spec Fit, but I feel you.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
8/27/13 8:41 p.m.

Well, I went and did it. I said goodbye to the Vic on Saturday, and picked up a brandy new '13 Mazda2 sport. Posted a pic in the garage, too illiterate to figure out how to post it from my phone.

This thing is a RIOT. I can't wait to start the new gig and start throwing a few parts at it.

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed
8/28/13 11:41 a.m.

Afternoon! Just bought a '13 as a commuter / part-time autox until I get my '90 Miata back in shape. Immediate note is that heel-toeing sucks in this car. I know there about 6 dozen pedals out on the market, but before purchasing one I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations?

Unlike my '90 Miata, I can't bend the throttle on the Mazda2 b/c it's plastic:-( I can, however, bend the brake pedal a tad, but am finding it not enough.

Thanks!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
8/28/13 11:45 a.m.

The bigger problem with heel toe on the 2 is that you're likely to run into the throttle cut. Much more than the quickest blip and it's gone. I can do it sometimes, but I have pretty small feet, so that might help.

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed New Reader
8/28/13 11:50 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Thanks deuce. I can manage the blip I need when I contort my feet. What I really need is that quick blip that you mention. I'm hoping someone has some experience. There are some decent Sparco's and OMPs out there (e.g.: Sparco: http://www.andysautosport.com/mazda/2011_9999_2/interior/pedals/sparco/; OMP: http://www.andysautosport.com/mazda/2011_9999_2/interior/pedals/omp/).

I'm just hoping someone did an install and found that it worked well on autox. Best,

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed New Reader
8/28/13 3:31 p.m.

In reply to lawyer4speed:

also, any recommendations on decent springs?

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
8/28/13 3:36 p.m.

Racing Beat springs are great if your main intentions are spirited commuting or an occasional autocross.

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed New Reader
8/28/13 3:49 p.m.

In reply to MA$$hole: What about frequent autocross? Coming from a Miata, I don't mind a harsher ride. The deuce still feels somewhat like a Lexus compared to my Miata...I can't believe that I don't hear every noise as I commute and that there aren't 2 dozen things rattling or squeaking...

Best,

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed New Reader
8/29/13 12:03 p.m.

bump:

lawyer4speed wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Thanks deuce. I can manage the blip I need when I contort my feet. What I really need is that quick blip that you mention. I'm hoping someone has some experience. There are some decent Sparco's and OMPs out there (e.g.: Sparco: http://www.andysautosport.com/mazda/2011_9999_2/interior/pedals/sparco/; OMP: http://www.andysautosport.com/mazda/2011_9999_2/interior/pedals/omp/). I'm just hoping someone did an install and found that it worked well on autox. Best,
mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
8/29/13 1:40 p.m.

The Bilsteins, either they set that they sell individually or the set that comes with the B-spec kit. The difference between the two is valving, so they say.
AST also has an option now, but those make the Bilsteins look like a practical budget buy.
I haven't driven either one. My friend who races B-spec did many thousands of miles on his driving back and forth to races and says they were great for everything. He's a lot faster than me, I trust him. The AST's were developed with input from Andy Hollis and the work he did on his STF car that won nationals last year. My hunch is that they are very good.

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed New Reader
8/29/13 2:31 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce: Thanks Deuce!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
8/29/13 2:50 p.m.

No problemo. Also something to keep in mind is that any complete system that fits the Fiesta fits the 2 as well. They have different springs so the spring seats on the shocks and tops are different, but if you're bolting in all new bits, then they will swap. This means that the rally-centric stuff from Hot Bits for the Fiesta will fit though different springs and damping may be needed as the 2 is lighter. I think there is a lot of hope that the Fiesta ST will open up the aftermarket for these cars a bit and give us some more options.

MA$$hole
MA$$hole HalfDork
8/29/13 3:39 p.m.

In reply to lawyer4speed:

Frequent I've been told maybe more spring rate would be better. But I don't want to sacrifice what little ride comfort the car has.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
9/3/13 7:49 p.m.

Just spent my 10th day with the car and already covered 1000 miles, and still love the little deuce.

Best observed fuel mileage has been just over 36mpg for a tankful, but I'm still playing with the car.

I was a bit curious about how the A/C would compare to the HVAC in the old P71. I shouldn't have worried, we have had temps near the 90 degree mark and the 2 has nearly frozen me out!

Really looking forward to buying a set of TR wheels, sticky tires and messing with the suspension a bit. I think RB springs and a good set of shocks would be more than enough for my needs.

lawyer4speed
lawyer4speed New Reader
9/6/13 9:09 a.m.

In reply to Racer1ab: Yeah, excellent mileage on this thing, far better on HWY than the EPA estimate. I drive 73 miles each way, about 68 on highway, and after two fill ups I've gotten 38mpg and change on each.

Still looking for a decent heel-toe pedal. Saw one that was adjustable and may fit the curvature and size of the deuce's throttle pedal: http://amzn.com/B000CPJKDG. $16 and prime shipping so I may give it a shot...

fidelity101
fidelity101 Dork
9/6/13 10:34 a.m.

Yeah I do not get that kind of mileage, I think the roof rack is partily to blame though. but you guys drive 68 on the highway, I set the cruise at 80.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
9/8/13 7:43 a.m.

In reply to fidelity101:

I have commuted in both situations where I run at 65 and 75. That 10 mph does a lot of damage to the mpgs. The roof rack adds a TON of wind resistance at those speeds. If you don't use it every day, take it off. I have seem reports that it might cost 3 or 4 mpg.

fornetti14
fornetti14 HalfDork
9/8/13 1:33 p.m.

I like these, but at the end of the day I just couldn't deal with a car this small.
My hat is off to you guys and I like reading about all the stuff people are doing with them.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/8/13 1:40 p.m.

I had a scangauge plugged in for a bit and 65 is the upper limit for any kind of good mileage. The car really wants you to keep it between 57 and 61 or so. It's mostly a city car, just like all of the B segment cars. Read any of the reviews and they tell you that across the segment, stepping up a model makes sense if you do any extended freeway driving. Fit-Civic, Fiesta-Focus, 2-3, you'll be more comfortable and will have pretty much identical real world mileage in the bigger car. Something to think about.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/9/13 2:21 p.m.

If you want to add ARP studs to your two for any reason these are the parts that work.
One the front: PN 100-7720

On the rear: PN 100-7719

mazdeuce
mazdeuce SuperDork
9/10/13 7:02 p.m.

A tuba will not fit in the hatch of a 2 with the seats up. At least I can't make it fit. Try and talk your kids into smaller instruments. Stupid tuba.

Vigo
Vigo UberDork
9/11/13 11:11 p.m.
I had a scangauge plugged in for a bit and 65 is the upper limit for any kind of good mileage. The car really wants you to keep it between 57 and 61 or so. It's mostly a city car, just like all of the B segment cars. Read any of the reviews and they tell you that across the segment, stepping up a model makes sense if you do any extended freeway driving. Fit-Civic, Fiesta-Focus, 2-3, you'll be more comfortable and will have pretty much identical real world mileage in the bigger car. Something to think about.

I just bought a Prius from a woman who got a new Accord Coupe. She has the 4 cyl, which, mind you, is only as fast in a straight line as a 500 Abarth, and is getting 38-40mpg on her 95% highway commute.

For the record, the Prius averaged 48mpg over the same commute. But the Accord is in many ways twice the car. I was seriously impressed by her MPG return and it definitely reinforces your point.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
9/12/13 3:20 a.m.

Have any of you guys experimented with getting rid of those huge, funky bumpstops in the front suspension?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Z3p9zn27OOiyoDJELylcZtJPI0l9BBwU2ohfiuvoOlozvaRpdN7eDjH0jFngGa4W