Yavuz
Yavuz Reader
12/2/16 12:16 p.m.

I no longer own mine, but was pretty pumped to see it in last month's magazine! I'll definitely buy another one in the future - it is an awesome car.

petegans
petegans New Reader
12/5/16 11:23 p.m.

^So awesome!!!

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
10/11/20 10:57 a.m.

Bumping this... Does anyone still like these cars?

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
10/11/20 11:16 a.m.

In reply to flatlander937 :

I do but they all have disappeared for sale locally. I can find more 3 door yaris' than Mazda2's

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
10/11/20 11:32 a.m.

I see a few near me, but never any for sale.  Not really in the market to buy one, but they sure are fun and practical little cars.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/11/20 12:37 p.m.

I love them! I nearly bought one two years ago until I found out the accident history was sketchy. I still want one.

They are a hoot in the corners!

What kind of MPGs do you see? Can they crack 40mpgs on the highway?

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
10/11/20 5:28 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I sold Mazda2's new and I have n '08 Fit myself.. geared similarly..

These cars are geared short because they have absolutely no power..... which makes them a hoot around town.. but makes getting really good MPG difficult.

You could probly get 40mpg if you stayed at 60mph or less.. steady.. but in any real world driving.. going to be near impossible it seems.. without getting one of the newer Direct injected ones that are badged as Scions or Toyotas in the USA since 2016.

https://www.fuelly.com/car/mazda/2?engineconfig_id=37&bodytype_id=&submodel_id=

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
10/11/20 7:21 p.m.

In reply to CyberEric :

I have gotten 36-37mpg when I was commuting 100mi/day and if I kept speeds 65mph and under. 

Tuned, on sticky/wide tires, and driving like an idiot all city driving now I'll get 30-32mpg regularly now.

What's more impressive is getting 12mpg on track. 

I've got 170k on mine now, and had a lot of fun on the new setup - 15x9/15x7.5 on 225/195 reverse staggered, 11k/10k Redshift Motorsports digressively valved coilovers, and a Mazdaspeed rear sway bar, no front bar. It's a lot of fun, but needs more spring rate front and rear, or maybe sway bar reattached up front with maybe softer springs, or that with much stiffer rear springs. 8k/12k or 12k/14k or so seem like potentially worth exploring.

To not derail this thread too much, my build is here:. https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/project-tot-2011-mazda2-for-track-dayhpde/177202/page1/

I'm mainly curious if anybody else is still doing anything with these cars?

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/11/20 8:17 p.m.

Hey! Over here! In the corner. That's me and my 2 trying to be fastest of the slow in Sports Car Club of Vermont events. I posted a pic of my car in your thread. Not much beyond stock on my car. Just fun mostly the way it is. Wish I could hit 60 in second gear before the limiter kicks in.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UberDork
10/11/20 9:37 p.m.

We just bought a black 2012 for my son, sadly Auto tragic though

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
10/11/20 10:51 p.m.

I know the 16 and up 2 sedan was the rebadged Toyota/Scion offering but wasn't there a newer 2 hatch these last couple years offered as the Yaris before it got axed?

Nitroracer (Forum Supporter)
Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/12/20 8:50 a.m.

In reply to dxman92 :

I believe it happened for the very last year before it was cancelled.  But, automatic only for the hatch.

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
10/12/20 9:30 a.m.

In reply to Nitroracer (Forum Supporter) :

This is correct.

FWIW if I wanted this chassis for TT only reasons, the Scion/Toyota sedan would probably be best for the slight power bump but more importantly better aero.

fidelity101 (Forum Supporter)
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/12/20 12:39 p.m.
CyberEric said:

I love them! I nearly bought one two years ago until I found out the accident history was sketchy. I still want one.

lol 40mpg

id get barely 30 going 80mph between chicago and detroit. couldnt make the trip on a tank of gas alone. 

with the roofrack 26 was feasible. cool car just kinda lame in some areas due to the nature of the beast. 

Daylan C (Forum Supporter)
Daylan C (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
10/12/20 12:43 p.m.

Posting to save the thread because these have been added to my radar again recently.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/12/20 2:43 p.m.

It's a very good small car, but it seems like they've disappeared, as they're not easy to find for sale. Did something happen to them to push many off the road early, or did they simply sell in low volumes?

It's also a shame that inexpensive, fun cars are going away in favor of more expensive crossovers. Short wheelbases are fun!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
10/12/20 2:52 p.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:

lol 40mpg

id get barely 30 going 80mph between chicago and detroit. couldnt make the trip on a tank of gas alone. 

with the roofrack 26 was feasible. cool car just kinda lame in some areas due to the nature of the beast. 

Love small cars and have all my life. My Daihatsu Charade (if anyone even know what it is) or my Subaru Justy - both remind me of this Mazda2. I miss my old Honda Wagovans (86 and 91- Similar to Honda Fit)

However, that MPG is laughable. 

My 2011 Civic Si sedan (very fun and adequate power), gets me 34-35MPG with AC cranked doing 85-95MPH on the highway. (I have a thread here logging all the fuel stops on our recent 4,000 mile trip). 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
10/12/20 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Snrub :

They sold in very small numbers. You can find them in certain metros where small cars are in high demand. I see them fairly regularly in SF Bay Area Craigslist.

I wish that Toyota offered the hatch with the MT. At least you can get it in the sedan. I believe that rebadged 2 gets better MPGs. Maybe it has longer gears?

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
10/12/20 3:15 p.m.
fidelity101 (Forum Supporter) said:
CyberEric said:

lol 40mpg

Was yours a manual? That's pretty typical for an auto 2, but way bad for a manual.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
10/12/20 7:39 p.m.

I get mid 30s when I don't hoon it too much. Manual trans.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/13/20 7:57 a.m.

They probably sold little because you could get the 1.6 in the same chassis, cheaper, with a Fiesta.  Which is also a car that seems to have disappeared.

I still think the 2 looks like it sits lower than a Fiesta.  The interior also somehow seems to be better quality, or maybe Fiesta owners are just more likely to trash them?

flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
10/13/20 8:27 a.m.

In reply to Pete. (l33t FS) :

In my experience working at a massive used car dealer...yes to basically all of that cheeky

The 2 is just a hair shorter. It passes the SCCA rollover requirements, the base Fiesta does not.

I keep going back and forth if I should prep the car for NASA TT6 or no... I'd need to buy some 8in wheels for 205 R7s to go on and cut a bunch of weight and look for any power I can find. On paper if I can find the power, it could be in the running I think. At least at more technical tracks.

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
10/13/20 8:30 a.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:

They probably sold little because you could get the 1.6 in the same chassis, cheaper, with a Fiesta.  Which is also a car that seems to have disappeared.

I still think the 2 looks like it sits lower than a Fiesta.  The interior also somehow seems to be better quality, or maybe Fiesta owners are just more likely to trash them?

I still see a good number of Fiestas, but perhaps I notice because I have a FiST. With the DCT transmission issues, I wouldn't be surprised if they disappeared from the roads sooner than you'd expect. That said Ford is still replacing transmissions (not because they're nice). eg. Elderly neighbor's 2017 Focus is on it's 3rd DCT transmission.

I think the 2's interior was nicer than the Fiesta's.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
10/13/20 9:05 a.m.

at this point for the same money I would get the 2nd gen fit, mostly because I can actually find those in manual around.

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
10/13/20 9:13 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

Me too, except you sit up higher in the Fit, which is uncomfortable for this back. (Part of why I like the 2 is you sit in it like a car, not on it like a truck) And the A pillar windows would definitely need to be blacked out.  They reflect road lines up onto the windshield.  If you thought looking through a reflection of the dash was annoying, at least it doesn't have a flashing effect like lane stripes do!

A real shame since Fits are otherwise great little cars.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
y6jNCokzfpSJxWrFTp4H8s2ayDKeJDgfKLeUpYak1FOu8zqxWBD4VQwpszkjviHd