T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/4/13 10:29 a.m.

Ok, so my 2005 MSM is a little past the recommended timing belt replacement mileage (although not if it were in California, where timing belts last to 100k).

I have the parts, the tools, the related good to change while I'm in there stuff. I really am not looking forward to doing the work though. Just replacing one of the O2 sensors last spring had me cursing and making me long to work on older cars like my Mini or my now departed 2002.

The good news is that I have other vehicles so I am in no rush to do this, and when I start, there is no time pressure to get it done.

I am considering selling the car to help fund a new boat, and that is about the only reason I am thinking about tackling this task. I was just planning on having the parts and waiting till 100k came around, but I wouldn't want to buy a car that was behind on scheduled maintenance without that being reflected in the price.

My question for the hive is is the pain and aggravation of changing the belt worth it compared to whatever penalty I'd get on the selling price of not doing it, or even compared with paying a shop to do the work?

I also am seriously considering selling the Mini and just keeping the WRX which in most respects is my least favorite of the three cars, but it is by far the most useful if I am just going to have one car (plus the family van).

The new house is on the water and I have a dock and a 10,000 boat lift, time to switch gears a bit to a new hobby and scale back on maintaining three cars.

So, should I stop whining, change the timing belt and put the car up for sale, try to sell it as is, or pay someone to replace the belt then sell it?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
11/4/13 10:38 a.m.

Even the California cars are supposed to have the belt "inspected" at 60k. You need to remove it to inspect it. So there's nothing magical about California legislation that makes belts last longer. I've seen several go at 80k. I would not recommend waiting.

It's not that hard a job. You'll stress out more worrying about it than you will actually doing it. You already are, actually.

Do it, then put the car up for sale with the belt change a fait accompli. You'll get more for it.

LuxInterior
LuxInterior New Reader
11/4/13 10:42 a.m.

^ What Keith said. It's not a horrible job. Or if you're dreading it that much, have a shop do the labor.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
11/4/13 10:48 a.m.

I was being a bit tongue in cheek about the belts lasting longer in CA. I don't actually think the rubber belt cares one lick about a law passed by a state legislature. I'm not quite at 80k yet. Not really dreading it, just don't anticipate enjoying the project. I just moved into a new (to me) house and have lots of house projects lined up that will take me a long while to work through.

I really don't want to sell it at all, but I think it is time.

Maybe I'll tackle as a new years resolution and plan to sell it in the spring.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy UltraDork
11/4/13 10:51 a.m.

It's orange. I want one.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kEUHlBSNKtOVMr1LN3DlbOR6zGhfMo6CzzQbgiMW0zdLgzRPeroP0uVOI7HK2zV0