John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/9/19 3:27 p.m.
bobzilla said:

I bet Ann is ecstatic! At least andy is fine. 

Comment in the video was that since Andy runs the first group, Ann was still back at the hotel when it happened.  

Reveals an interesting tactic...leave your transit driver resting in the hotel until Noon and then have them join you via cab/uber/shuttle/friend when it is time for them to get behind the wheel and lead on.  

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/9/19 4:38 p.m.
RedGT said:
klodkrawler05 said:

That's definitely the good side, shots from the other side looks a lot worse.  That was gut wrenching to watch, seemed like everything was going perfectly for the Hollis' this year and this was going to be their year.

I am (obviously?) enjoying following this year from as many angles as possible, really appreciate the writeups here seth/sleepyhead/spacecadet.

Ouch.  Although that kinda looks like it might be salvageable? I guess it depends on underside and suspension damage. sad

chandler
chandler PowerDork
5/9/19 5:13 p.m.

That’s hurts

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
5/9/19 5:20 p.m.

In reply to Ian F :

My understanding is that the plan is to trailer it back to Texas with their motor home, and take it to the dealer they have an good existing maintenance relationship with.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/9/19 5:38 p.m.

That really sucks. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/9/19 8:00 p.m.

My very first One Lap thread from 2015 contains a similar picture of a Corvette. That's not to glorify the carnage, but rather to remind ourselves that this is a serious game. We are doing things with these cars that are (for the most part) outside their design parameters. Andy hit that berm going relatively slowly, but we had a number of cars over 150mph in Minnesota the other day. We make mistakes. When we do, we ask and hope that the cars fold up around us in a way that lets us walk away to be upset. 

Ann said it very pointedly when she said "I don't give a sh*t about the car" she was just happy that Andy was ok. 

karplus2
karplus2 New Reader
5/9/19 9:17 p.m.

Saw a bunch of one-lap cars on I-74 in Illinois between Champaign and Bloomington on my way home from work today. It was really cool getting to see them and reminded me to come check this thread. Thanks for documenting!

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
5/9/19 9:27 p.m.

Seth is this session(OLOA) as gratifying as say ??? previous experiences even though the focus is 'slow' but not dead last in class????

mazdeuce - Seth
5/10/19 12:26 a.m.

Blackhawk Farms outside of Chicago is a small club track. It's another one of those drive through the woods circuits with an emphasis on woods. 

Lots more worms, but they did have there surface de-worming game on point which is something Nebraska should take note of.

I ran the morning session which went from wet to dry. I went out in the dry and my finish of 52/70 reflects that. I did have a good time. I was comfortable by the start of my second lap, my eyes were up and I was trying to hit apexes properly. Not that I did that, but I was actually driving instead of screaming into my helmet the whole time. That made me happy. 

Also, the recovery team at Blackhawk is top notch. They know how to move cars off their berms/tires with minimal extra damage. Good guys.

We're a couple hours out From Kentucky and our last day on track at NCM. 

TVR Scott
TVR Scott HalfDork
5/10/19 7:09 a.m.

Tough seeing all the crash pictures.  Really does make me think of track cars as disposable.

How many laps do you get in these sessions?  Just a single warm up and then a couple of hot laps for time?  I have very little experience in track driving but that seems like no enough time to get familiar and safe on a new track.  Maybe the hot-shoes are good at it.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/10/19 7:30 a.m.

Two sessions each with one sighting lap, then a standing start for 3 hot laps. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/10/19 7:33 a.m.

Looks like it worked. I brought the Mustang and it rained.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/10/19 8:49 a.m.

Ouch.  Fixing that Mclaren isn't going to be cheap and insurance isn't gonna pay. 

This illustrates one of the difficult things about One Lap.  You're sleep deprived and not making the best decisions at the same time you're taking a street prepped car (The majority of these cars don't have full roll cages, races seats, HANS, etc) onto a race track and going race pace.  Sometimes ludicrous speeds as Seth points out...

Glad Andy wasn't hurt...

mazdeuce - Seth
5/10/19 4:00 p.m.

Last day on track at the National Corvette Museum track. We decided to employ actual strategy in an effort to not win All Remaining Cars. Sleepyhead is comfortable here and knows the lines so he took the two morning sessions of east and west while I did full in the afternoon. The idea being that him doing well twice could erase me doing poorly once. It worked. 

His 60th and 58th made up for my second to last and going into the dry skid pad we have two cars between us and the trophy. We're not 100% out of the woods, but we're feeling good. On to South Bend and at least a little more sleep than the past three nights. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
5/10/19 4:11 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I would be a little shocked if someone takes a mclaren on oloa and doesn’t have track insurance. I know a number of others in the top 10 absolutely have track insurance covering oloa. while their cars are much cheaper relatively, it’s still only $2500 or so to insure $50k worth of car for any track incidents that might happen.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/10/19 6:26 p.m.

Was good seeing you again Seth, and meeting you sleepy and space. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/10/19 6:59 p.m.

One Lap isn't all about serious car stuff. In fact, serious car stuff only takes up a small part of the day. The rest of the time is spent chatting and transiting and eating fast food. Sleepyhead had a bit of a problem with his name. Turns out that it sounds enough like a bunch of other names that his food walked away with someone else the other night. His solution was to rename himself Buffalo. It sounds silly, and it is silly, but it works. 

mazdeuce - Seth
5/10/19 7:45 p.m.

Also, if any of you listen to Slip Angle podcast, the episode that was put up today was recorded yesterday at Blackhawk. You may hear us name drop GRM a time or two. laugh

Patrick
Patrick MegaDork
5/10/19 8:04 p.m.

I’m calling tim Buffalo from now on

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Mod Squad
5/10/19 9:20 p.m.

In reply to Patrick :

I'm good with that, it's a step up from the teasing I endured growing up about "Timmy" and "Tiny Tim".

I think I might have had chicken wings on my mind as I went looking for multisyllable words that are easily recognized, and fun to say.

Surprisingly , we've found perfect spelling so far... even when they can't get "Peggy" correct!?

spacecadet
spacecadet HalfDork
5/10/19 9:25 p.m.

Highland Design studio got a great shot of the Accord as we left NCM.

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
5/10/19 10:13 p.m.

Wow! How time flies!

Unfortunately I won't be able to make it tomorrow for the skidpad. I'm way behind on all my family chores and need to spend time catching up.

Good luck good luck good luck!!!

mazdeuce - Seth
5/10/19 10:38 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

Fully understood and we'll catch you next time. 

We're in South Bend. Long week. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/11/19 9:03 a.m.

Congrats on making it back to South Bend. It looks like 12 cars did not make it back! One of those may have never actually started. That includes the cars originally ranked 1,2, & 3.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
5/11/19 11:30 a.m.

Yeah, I'd hope they'd have track insurance.  For such an expensive car, where you know you're going to be pushing it makes all the sense in the world.

If I ever do One Lap again I'd definitely spend the cash on track insurance.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
C4zpLjAEASPuxslpGTfz3DAD8JpBQDGKDJq5uxgHL9nTx5PUai2RmD8jBS1rwbaM