1 2 3 4 5
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
10/5/18 9:47 a.m.

Super stoked about Nelson Ledges, RA (which I've driven) and Brainerd. And the rest of them, but those three in particular. Transits look gentle compared to years past. AC looks less necessary than the last few years as well. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/5/18 10:09 a.m.
onrails said:

The route is up!

Image may contain: car and text

mazdeuce - Seth said:
Transits look gentle compared to years past 

Ya sure about that?.....

4:34  or  295 miles Rack to Nelson

8:18  or   527 miles Nelson to RA

7:08  or   465 miles RA to Brain

9:28  or   551 miles Brain to Hastings

8:49  or   595 miles Hastings to Black

7:38  or   504 miles Black to NCM

5:41  or   374 miles NCM to Rack

mazdeuce - Seth
10/5/18 10:25 a.m.

Only one above 600 miles. We'll be fine.......

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron Reader
10/5/18 10:43 a.m.

Blackhawk Farms Raceway is in Beloit not Merton. Which cuts about 60 miles off that transit.  Heat will likely be necessary in Brainerd that time of year, at least at night.

I'm definitely going to try and make it out to spectate at Blackhawk and RA since I'm only about an hour from each of those. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
10/5/18 10:54 a.m.

In reply to Ram50Ron :

Thanks for that info on Blackhawk.  I had the wrong location but I have updated the posted map above and the times.  

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/5/18 12:53 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Only one above 600 miles. We'll be fine.......

Exactly, that's like a tank and a half... so one transit session each?

With RA and Brainerd big-power tracks being that early in the schedule... can Pat or Pete or Stampie... anyone pull Seth aside and teach him the in/outs of installing a 50shot of Nitrous on the traccord while at Challenge? 

mazdeuce - Seth
10/5/18 12:55 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead :

Embrace the low top speed. It's a feature. 

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
10/5/18 1:06 p.m.

Nelson is no that far, I will try and make it out to spectate and "help" if nessary.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/5/18 1:23 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I think I'm going to be doing a rain dance for the first couple days

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/7/18 11:56 a.m.

so, I went to see if Project Cars 2, or iRacing had any of the tracks to practice on ahead of time...

they both have:  Road America

that's it.

so, now I need to decide if it's worth getting a computer that can run one or the other sims with my 10? year old logitech setup.

Looks like all my other prep is going to rely on youtube video watching.

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
10/8/18 9:16 a.m.

We're pretty excited about the route, between Matt and I we've collectively been everywhere except Nelson Ledges.

I expect you guys will do extremely well at Blackhawk if you pick up the track quickly. It's only got one straight away and it's quite short, the entire rest of the track you are constantly busy.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
10/8/18 9:21 a.m.

I loved crewing at Nelson Ledges. Always seemed like a cool place. Since that'll fall on a Sunday I might be able to come up for the day. 

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
10/14/18 6:55 p.m.

this whole route is throwing my tire selection into question... and the limited size selection is complicating the matter...

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/18/18 1:13 p.m.
apexanimal said:

this whole route is throwing my tire selection into question... and the limited size selection is complicating the matter...

time to step up to 17"s wink

mazdeuce - Seth
10/18/18 5:34 p.m.

Is this the same Evo as they brought before? RS Motors Evo Lots of details are different, but they're different every time I see the car. 

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
10/19/18 8:15 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Is this the same Evo as they brought before? RS Motors Evo Lots of details are different, but they're different every time I see the car. 

Nope that's the "B Chassis" The RS guys have a pretty good formula for fast evo's. all 3 were really similar but the last couple years they've started specializing each evo for specific events.

Now that all 3 cars are back to white it's even harder to tell them apart:

The "A Chassis" is the fastest, built for unlimited class time attack. Gutted, sequential trans etc. Andy holds the record for fastest evo ever around Buttonwillow in this car.

The "B Chassis" is the one you linked above, it's the showiest but obviously still fast. That one does Optima Street Car Events (amongst others) and has podiumed at the finale invitational a few times.

The "C Chassis" is the OLOA car. I believe it's fairly similar build wise to the B-chassis minus the widebody (although they still squeezed 315's under the factory fenders)

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
10/21/18 2:29 p.m.
sleepyhead said:
apexanimal said:

time to step up to 17"s wink

might have to be a think in a couple years... two miata's just competed in sydney on 17's. 

sleepyhead
sleepyhead Dork
10/21/18 3:14 p.m.

In reply to apexanimal :

wow, I'd forgotten you were on the 16" "twisted five spoke".  does that car have the sport brakes?

if not, maybe you should drop down to 15x8's.

Man, that 16" size doesn't leave you much to choose from, or even go wider.

mazdeuce - Seth
10/21/18 7:21 p.m.

Between the Challenge last weekend and driving the crappy Miata back from Ohio this weekend I think I did something like 34 hours of drive time by myself. The six hours with Pete Gossett in the car was cake. Looking forward to having co-drivers for One Lap.

apexanimal
apexanimal New Reader
10/22/18 7:23 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

In reply to apexanimal :

wow, I'd forgotten you were on the 16" "twisted five spoke".  does that car have the sport brakes?

if not, maybe you should drop down to 15x8's.

Man, that 16" size doesn't leave you much to choose from, or even go wider.

we'll be keeping the 16's for commuter/to and from the track (i'm planning on eventually getting some 16x8 for the wet set, but i'm running a set of 15x9 right now as my track set (which i'm planning/hoping on using for next year's oloa)...

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/20/18 12:20 p.m.

I'm not sure if this counts as OLOA prep or not but Home Depot has a ton of their milwaukee "fuel" tools on sale either as kits or as a buy the tool get a battery free sort of thing.

So I just picked up an electric 3/8 ratchet and a battery powered sawzall. in case we need to make any road side repairs to aero etc.

mazdeuce - Seth
12/20/18 12:39 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

Glad you'll have them along, because I don't think we'll have room with three of us in the car. laugh

When we had brake issues in 2017 and stopped to get an extension cord and orbital sander it was a big moment of "we can just buy what we need if it comes to it". Our plan for splitter death this year was to stop by a HD, buy a jigsaw, drill and a sheet of plywood and make a new one in the parking lot. 

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon Reader
12/20/18 12:42 p.m.

In reply to klodkrawler05 :

If you don't already have a cordless impact for quick lugnut removal, I'd recommend the M12 Fuel Stubby Impact. The 3/8" and 1/2" both will do 250ft-lbs at full chooch laugh

klodkrawler05
klodkrawler05 Reader
12/20/18 1:03 p.m.

In reply to RacetruckRon :

I have an older Rigid one that works ok my codriver Matt has one of the big "I'm done arguing" M18 impacts that we use on lug nuts at the track though.

Seth, your idea sounds like much less luggage to packout every day. at one point I had visions of the trailer deck being made from a spare splitter. But that sounded like more effort than I wanted to expend at one point when there is usually a splitter supply store in every major city. Of course don't hesitate to ask if you need anything during OLOA, we'll lkely be way overpacked in an effort to thwart Murphy's law. 

mazdeuce - Seth
2/6/19 12:25 p.m.

I suck at updating this thread. Been testing. Disks all around now, Wilwood calipers in the front. Splitter. Yada yada yada. Actually prepping a car is hard. 

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hRfiygaGN0JZkgS9KMFQimEqkzludnTRkFZVKagguMGsC2aoT80tZ09Me0ycr5JB