1 2
emodspitfire
emodspitfire Reader
6/30/08 3:20 p.m.

This thread from 2008

Folks, So there was a discussion here in the previous months concerning the best value in Garage gloves. "Mechanix" gloves came in a distant second or third.......(IIRC) What are the choices in garage/mechanics gloves? TIA, Rog

bigwrench
bigwrench New Reader
6/30/08 5:04 p.m.

CLC pit crew is the best

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
6/30/08 5:33 p.m.

http://store.cyberweld.com/mimegl.html

I didn't participate in the first discussion but I like these Miller Metalworker Gloves better than my old Mechanix.

I got mine at my local welding supply.

-James

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/30/08 7:28 p.m.

I did sample a few of the Harbor Freight brands. They are reasonably comfortable but not terribly durable. The ones linked above look like they would be worth a try.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
6/30/08 7:36 p.m.

I like the blue Harbor Freight gloves. They seem to last a lot longer than my Mechanix gloves and only cost $6.99 a pair. The XL size is tighter initially but breaks in perfectly for the size of my hand. Apparently they're cheaper online.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93640

neon4891
neon4891 HalfDork
6/30/08 7:58 p.m.

http://wellslamont.com/pg_styledetail.php?style=1703

$6, picked up a pair on my last trip to the parts yard

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 New Reader
7/2/08 10:10 a.m.

I use disposables as I've never liked the feel of even the best 'fitted' type fabric gloves. So far Kimberly Clark's Silver Nitrile line is the best value/$ in durability I can get a few uses out of a pair, I just turn then inside out when I take them off and then flip them back to put them on. They seem to tear a lot less then others. It took me almost a year to get through a 150pr box.

I use some heavy leather work gloves for anything scary, and welding gloves when appropriate.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/2/08 10:34 a.m.

I use cheap latex examination gloves from Wally World for most things. In the winter, I'll use $1/pr (or under) cotton gloves. I really prefer J&J surgical gloves, but at a buck a pair I don't buy them for the garage work. When I could get out of date ones free, that was different. They last about 3x longer than the cheap examination gloves. I keep my gloves in... the glovebox from the MR2.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
7/2/08 10:52 a.m.

blue nitrile gloves for me, for most things.

I have a set of mechanix but they are eaten up by oil etc..

stumpmj
stumpmj HalfDork
7/2/08 12:42 p.m.

All of the mechaix type gloves I've tried dye my fingers blue.

drc
drc New Reader
7/3/08 10:40 p.m.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947653000P craftsman mechanics gloves are at 7.99 right now...

impulsive
impulsive New Reader
7/4/08 9:56 a.m.

currently I have a pair of CLC Handyman gloves that are holding up very well, much better than the Mechanixwear crap I had.

I think I found them at HD on sale but can't recall what I paid.

www.clcflexgrip.com/gloves.htm

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/10/19 6:00 a.m.

Zombie Canoe, sunk

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
5/10/19 6:52 a.m.
John Welsh said:

Zombie Canoe, sunk

Very nostalgic, seeing anything recommended from Craftsman.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 8:32 a.m.

I know this thread is zombiefied, but my favorites were some black nylon knit gloves with a very thin grey urethane coating on the palms and fingers.  I mail-ordered them through a deal from my wife's employer... but unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the company.  Starts with an F maybe, and I think they are made in upstate New York.

They were very durable, grippy, but thin enough that you could feel what you were doing - and I hate working with gloves on.  The only problem was they were not liquid-proof, so if you got oil on your hands it got on your skin.

Similar to these:

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
5/10/19 8:34 a.m.

I just stopped by to say my ace hardware ones sucked noodles. Almost all the seams are blown out and all the grippy on the good fingers is gone. If they weren't free. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/10/19 9:11 a.m.
Duke said:

I know this thread is zombiefied, but my favorites were some black nylon knit gloves with a very thin grey urethane coating on the palms and fingers.  I mail-ordered them through a deal from my wife's employer... but unfortunately I cannot remember the name of the company.  Starts with an F maybe, and I think they are made in upstate New York.

They were very durable, grippy, but thin enough that you could feel what you were doing - and I hate working with gloves on.  The only problem was they were not liquid-proof, so if you got oil on your hands it got on your skin.

Similar to these:

Ansell Hyflex, perhaps?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/10/19 9:20 a.m.

In reply to MadScientistMatt :

Close, but they were black / grey like the ones I posted.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
5/10/19 9:31 a.m.

Hello zombie thread. I order (probably knockoff) Mechanix a few at a time from ebay china sellers. $10/pair. They work well and then eventually break, so I always have an extra pair or two sitting around. Always keep a pair in my back pocket for work and shooting. Never now when a guy will hand you a 45-70 pistol and tell you, "watch out, it bites", and boy, does it.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/10/19 9:34 a.m.

While I have a few pairs of mechanics gloves that I will use for moving heavy and semi-dirty stuff around, my gloves for wrenching work are these:

More expensive than typical disposable gloves, but I've found I can often reused them a number of times.  The flocking helps a lot with sweaty hands, although doesn't 100% prevent them.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/10/19 10:10 a.m.
Duke said:

These are my new go-to.  At $2 a pair at HF, they are basically disposable, but actually, hold up pretty well. They provide most of the benefits of nitrile gloves and most of the benefits of mechanics gloves, without sweat or Velcro. I have a bin of them and use them in the garage, the yard, for plumbing...everything really.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/10/19 10:39 a.m.
pinchvalve said:
Duke said:

These are my new go-to.  At $2 a pair at HF, they are basically disposable, but actually, hold up pretty well. They provide most of the benefits of nitrile gloves and most of the benefits of mechanics gloves, without sweat or Velcro. I have a bin of them and use them in the garage, the yard, for plumbing...everything really.

Yeah, HF has a few different options for these, some with super thick coating (Great for pulling thistle weeds), some with thin coating.

Rocambolesque
Rocambolesque New Reader
5/10/19 5:36 p.m.

I used to buy Mechanix gloves at 20$ a pair but they would always be worn out and full of holes in no time. Plus there was no easy way of cleaning them unless soaking them in hot water with soap and borax for hours. I switched to the knit gloves with rubber on them that is mentioned in the previous posts. The durability is about the same and the cost is 1/4. Plus when the palms are greasy just spray degreaser and rub your palms together.

TJL
TJL Reader
5/10/19 5:43 p.m.

The knockoff “mechanix” gloves from HF are sweet. Usually 5$ ish on sale too. I actually think they fit me better than the mechanix. They sure have lasted me longer than the mechanix ever did. 

Those yellow rubberized garden gloves are great for the junkyard. But dont go buying too many extra pair. Maybe its the heat of the garage but they get gooey and stuck together after a bit. Had to throw a few away still in the package. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
5/10/19 7:41 p.m.
TJL said:

The knockoff “mechanix” gloves from HF are sweet. Usually 5$ ish on sale too. I actually think they fit me better than the mechanix. They sure have lasted me longer than the mechanix ever did. 

Those yellow rubberized garden gloves are great for the junkyard. But dont go buying too many extra pair. Maybe its the heat of the garage but they get gooey and stuck together after a bit. Had to throw a few away still in the package. 

^^

What he said. Verbatim.  

I use the yellow rubberized gloves for handling glass as well. They do not slip, even if the glass is wet. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QqLEgeNwltTR1eZIP3oaah3CmkrNQ6TmTjxExSZksgVXba8lwc1RpklQ0qIRjP6S