1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/22/16 10:41 p.m.
feature_image

Before last tonight's reveal, the rumor mill was operating at full speed: Was Mazda going to show off a fastback or folding hardtop version of their beloved MX-5?

Answer: both.

Meet the MX-5 RF—short for retractable fastback—and holy cow is it beautiful. Where the old MX-5 PRHT was practical, this …

Read the rest of the story

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
3/22/16 10:45 p.m.

I like it and

David S. Wallens
3/22/16 10:47 p.m.

It's beautiful--like, after the crowd thinned, I just stood there and watched it go around.

Look for a video of the top operation tomorrow.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/22/16 10:50 p.m.

swoon

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
3/22/16 10:57 p.m.

The Canadian website has a bunch of top up/top down comparison shots that, sadly, aren't hotlinkable.

David S. Wallens
3/22/16 10:59 p.m.

We'll have a load more photos and video tomorrow morning.

WildScotsRacing
WildScotsRacing Reader
3/22/16 11:04 p.m.

Some somebodies at Mazda deserve a raise.

David S. Wallens
3/22/16 11:05 p.m.
WildScotsRacing wrote: Some somebodies at Mazda deserve a raise.

Totally. And a cookie.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
3/22/16 11:12 p.m.

HOtlinked from the Mazda Canada website:

David S. Wallens
3/22/16 11:14 p.m.

And here's the coolest part of tonight: I got a lead on a Miata story that, should it all pan out, will be pretty darn killer.

I have said too much.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
3/22/16 11:19 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: And here's the coolest part of tonight: I got a lead on a Miata story that, should it all pan out, will be pretty darn killer. I have said too much.

If you could monetize the frustration you just caused in me with that comment, you'd be able to have your decedents live comfortably off the interest revenue alone for generations to come.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
3/22/16 11:23 p.m.

That settles it. Totally going to the NY auto show this weekend, where maybe I'll be able to get within 100 feet of it. If the top could be operated around freezing temps, I bet it would be excellent on nice winter days with the top down and the windows up. I love putting my NC's top down all the way to the minimum operable temp of 40 degrees. Those buttresses probably add a nice buffer against the wind.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Dork
3/23/16 12:33 a.m.

That. Is. Sex. Too bad "RF" doesn't stand for "rotary fun"

NordicSaab
NordicSaab Reader
3/23/16 5:33 a.m.

Who...Do...I...Give...My...Money...To...?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/23/16 5:43 a.m.

Any idea when it will actually be available? Likely as a 2017?

Edit: Ok I see in your original post. Missed it the first time through. I am too eager.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/23/16 5:53 a.m.

gunner
gunner Reader
3/23/16 6:07 a.m.

Today I learned what my next car will be once the kids are out of the house. Just wow!

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/23/16 6:11 a.m.

A post on the Miata forum states that in the press package it indicates it will be automatic only in some markets. Please tell me that's not true in the States! It will be a deal breaker for me after getting my hopes up!

NickD
NickD HalfDork
3/23/16 6:14 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: A post on the Miata forum states that in the press package it indicates it will be automatic only in some markets. Please tell me that's not true in the States! It will be a deal breaker for me after getting my hopes up!

Ugh, that'd be awful. Who in their right mind would even buy an automatic Miata anyways?

The car looks cool, although honestly I'm not a fan of it with the top down. I don't particularly like targa tops, don't know why, they always look cheap/half-@$$ed to me.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/23/16 6:14 a.m.

That is not how I expected stuff to happen. It seems needlessly complex, but I still like the way that it looks when it's all closed up.

Six months ago, I swore that I was done with Miatas. I'm not sure where I stand on the subject right now.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/23/16 6:17 a.m.
Woody wrote: *That* is not how I expected stuff to happen. It seems needlessly complex, but I still like the way that it looks when it's all closed up. Six months ago, I swore that I was done with Miatas. I'm not sure where I stand on the subject right now.

Very Porsche like

einy
einy Reader
3/23/16 6:18 a.m.

Oh, hell yea !!! I didn't expect this .... !!!

Woody
Woody MegaDork
3/23/16 6:20 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Yes, and looks expensive too.

captdownshift
captdownshift UberDork
3/23/16 6:32 a.m.

In reply to Woody:

I don't know, fewer folding bits then a normal folding hard top, but 2 more hydraulic ram arms and a larger seam. The thing that I'm curious about is chassis rigidity, how much stiffer is the already fantastic and responsive chassis. If it's a good 20%+ stiffer then the suspension can be stiffened, more tire fitted, grip can be increased without sacrificing turn in response.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/23/16 6:36 a.m.

We already know you can increase the stiffness on the Miata a LOT before you need to worry about the chassis. Mazda makes the Miata move the way it does on purpose.
Good god that's a pretty car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
W6O0sdo02MTTwn86ClmlDQHzWE98MqXsuFm7EG69K2PpLGZOEIAXJsziVLL5WUbD