1 2 3
fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
8/20/11 8:51 p.m.

Got the coil overs on today, along with front brakes and wheel bearings. My son, John (aka JP, aka Bacon) helped and got to do some wrenching. The car kinda looks like a race car now. So we would like you to say hi to our F Street Prepared 1984 Toyota, Tom Celica.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 New Reader
8/20/11 8:56 p.m.

Needs more 'stache

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
8/20/11 9:02 p.m.

Oh, we know. And it's coming!

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
8/20/11 9:04 p.m.

Tom Celica...

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
8/20/11 9:21 p.m.

It was all Bacon. He came up with the name. I just researched all the parts, built the engine, bought everything, built the coil-overs, installed everything and bought the car. He did the rest- the Tom Celica part.

z31maniac
z31maniac SuperDork
8/20/11 10:01 p.m.

I love it on the name alone. Just wish I could grow an equally epic stache.

Cool car!

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
8/21/11 11:55 p.m.

Just a few more pics...

Bacon did some custom graphics...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/22/11 6:33 a.m.

That car looks totally awesome. Go get some action photos! NOW.

ZOO
ZOO SuperDork
8/22/11 6:57 a.m.

Tom Celica

Took me a few seconds

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/22/11 8:06 a.m.

Hi tom!

Seriously, that is a VERY nice looking celica. I have not seen one of that vintage in a long time. The last one I saw on the road was a rotted out hulk

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
8/22/11 8:09 a.m.

Looks great. Even though the suspension is for performance, there's no denying that the drop looks awesome.

DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
8/22/11 9:25 a.m.

I am Duke Of Understeer and I approve of the name of this car...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
8/22/11 9:33 a.m.

You should not have told me that your son's nickname is Bacon because I have a son due in November and my wife is pushing me for name suggestions. Bacon just topped the list.

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
8/22/11 9:44 a.m.

Bacon likes the name Bacon...

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
8/22/11 10:15 a.m.

I can't decide which is more amusing...the fact that you named your car 'Tom Celica' or that you call your son 'Bacon.'

SupraWes
SupraWes Dork
8/22/11 3:59 p.m.

Bacon named the car Tom Celica. Theres a joke in there somewhere.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
9/3/11 10:33 p.m.

Well, a little Tom Celica update.

Tom is too low. And too stiff. It was ambitious, but I overshot on the spring rates by several hundred pounds.

New springs were ordered and are on. That fixed the ride hight in the rear, but the coil-overs in the front are too short. Need to make a new pair. I also got a good deal on some Konig Rewinds. Tires got mounted this morning. The alignment is a mess- like half an inch of toe out and who knows what camber/caster. So I only put the rears on. But here is Tom as he sits tonight.

Bacon and I worked a while this afternoon. We figured out some next steps for up front, made one spacer for the struts, ruined another on the lathe and prepped the next set of strut tubes for coil over conversion. So we're getting close. There's a sticking caliper, so that needs to be taken care of. Might get that done tomorrow. We'll see.

As I keep saying, one step at a time. But I still think I'll make it out to an autocross before our local "summer series" ends. Shooting for Oct. 8. Wish us luck!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
9/3/11 10:40 p.m.

looking good.. especially on those rewinds

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
9/3/11 10:44 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

Thanks! They're the street wheels. I still need to measure for the race wheels and get them ordered. But - one step at a time.

I've decided that autocross cars are built on sheer determination. It is a lot more work than I anticipated. And after a stoopid long/hard week at work I had to force myself to go work on it today. But Bacon and I had fun, even when the lathe spit out our second spacer and everyone ran in to see how badly injured I was. With the racket they seemed surprised that I was okay!

mmosbey
mmosbey Reader
9/4/11 5:17 a.m.

1982 Tom's Celica C.

I didn't get the mustache joke at first...

littleturquoiseb
littleturquoiseb HalfDork
9/4/11 9:47 a.m.

There was a Babe Rally car called Tom Celica ... they knew the power of the stash!!

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
9/4/11 10:02 a.m.

When you say you overshot the spring rates.... what did you have on there?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
9/4/11 10:06 a.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

800 lb./in front and 550 rear. It was a bit much.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
9/4/11 8:59 p.m.

Calipers on, brakes bled (that is the nastiest brake fluid I have ever seen come out of a car!) fenders rolled, nackered wheel studs replaced. Whew. Actually, Bacon and I did a lot today! Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic, but you get the idea...

Will look better when I get the new coil overs made and can get the front up a little higher. Not that I'm building it to look cool, but, you know.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
9/4/11 9:04 p.m.

I always loved those, especially the 84-85's. Rewinds are perfect on that car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xO1Bvt6IWEyOQ5LGpZ2lxZzuRmK3R7o9J0Chju9kWEfu7deJ1vMhnlzS0c6SxxWn