3 4 5
fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/24/13 11:45 p.m.

How 'bout a little update on Tom Celica!?

So, I got to thinking about it and realized that I still needed more weight transfer to the rear. It really needs more front sway bar, I think, but until I figure out how to do that, I raised the suspension up a bit. Higher front roll center, shorter roll couple, more weight transfer. Still on the 800 lb. front springs and 325 rears.

Last event we had was back in February. But it was my best overall finish ever. Now, I'll be the first to admit this sounds better than I really think I did, but I finished fifth overall.

http://www.rmsolo.org/msp_eventpts_v2.php?rep=2_20130217WS

I corded both front tires. New ones are here, but since I have the six wheels, I still have four old ones with some meat on them. I'd like to make it to Spring Nationals in Lincoln, so going to try to hold off on mounting the new Hoosiers for a bit.

Going to fix some annoying stuff, then I think I'll start working on more power. Really need this snow to move out, though.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
3/25/13 1:26 a.m.

I can't believe you take 5th on a car with only a 22r. Is it the massive tire that makes all the difference?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/25/13 10:34 a.m.
Catatafish wrote: I can't believe you take 5th on a car with only a 22r. Is it the massive tire that makes all the difference?

Well, take that fifth with a grain of salt. A LOT of fast guys weren't at that event. Our Winter Series is kind of practice. So lots of guys in their DDs, or running street tires etc. But I think it represents some progress. Our regular series starts next weekend (but we're on kind of a cruddy lot). I'll start getting a better idea where I really am.

But, yes, it's all about the giant tires. Now that I'm getting closer on the balance, it can carry a lot of speed into a corner. And, remember, the one thing the 22RE does have is torque. In stock trim, it makes 140 ft. lbs. And it makes it down low. So it is really good pulling off a corner as long as I'm under 4,000 RPMs or so. It starts falling off there, and by 5,000 it's out of breath.

I may play with cam timing. All the gearing I worked out when I was starting this was based on getting to 6,000 RMPs. That puts me in the mid 60 MPH range in second. Right now it can't get there - there's some kind of a rev limiter at 5,700 or so. But even when I get around to MS, it won't matter without more work. I've never hit the limiter on an autocross course. It takes a good bit to get it wound up that high. But there's some work to do that can help that. I think getting ECU control of ignition timing will help, and I haven't done the little bit of work on the head that the SP rules allow. I do think that will help. The bigger throttle body seemed to help, so intake air does seem to be one of the many limiting factors.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
3/25/13 3:43 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: the one thing the 22RE *does* have is torque. In stock trim, it makes 140 ft. lbs. And it makes it down low. So it is really good pulling off a corner as long as I'm under 4,000 RPMs or so. It starts falling off there, and by 5,000 it's out of breath.

build in MORE of what she does best, and gear her accordingly... (5k peak)

I'd look into getting the chambers clean of anything that can pre-ignite the charge, work to remove it, then bump compression another 1/2 point to a point.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/25/13 4:24 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote:
fast_eddie_72 wrote: the one thing the 22RE *does* have is torque. In stock trim, it makes 140 ft. lbs. And it makes it down low. So it is really good pulling off a corner as long as I'm under 4,000 RPMs or so. It starts falling off there, and by 5,000 it's out of breath.
build in MORE of what she does best, and gear her accordingly... (5k peak) I'd look into getting the chambers clean of anything that can pre-ignite the charge, work to remove it, then bump compression another 1/2 point to a point.

Thanks - a local guy who's REALLY fast gave me similar advice. Don't mess up what it does well trying to get something it will never do. At some point this summer I'll get it on a dyno and find out exactly what it's doing now.

Gearing is very limited. I can only use stock parts, so on this car, two choices, since the 5 speed and auto had different rear gears. Auto moves me the wrong way, so it is what it is. I can run any wheels, though. That's why I'm running 15". I just wanted to try to avoid shifting to third on a fast course. May not be able to avoid it sometimes.

I can't do a whole lot in Street Prepared. I milled the head the max allowed. Have to use stock pistons. And head work is really just port matching. You can't take any material more than one inch inside the head. So there's not a ton to be had there, but every little bit helps.

I do think I'll get something out of an ECU and some good tuing work.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
3/25/13 5:41 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: I can't do a whole lot in Street Prepared. I milled the head the max allowed. Have to use stock pistons. And head work is really just port matching. You can't take any material more than one inch inside the head. So there's not a ton to be had there, but every little bit helps. I do think I'll get something out of an ECU and some good tuing work.

deck the block....... Cutting the deck adds compression much quicker then cutting the head. check to see first, but a quick way to gain compression is to have the top surface of the block cut down. You first need to know how the current pistons fit - how far below the deck do the top edge of the pistons sit?

I'm not sure if you can run any correcting device for cam timing... BUT it might work in your favor running without any cam timing correction

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
3/25/13 6:13 p.m.

I can run, and have an adjustable cam gear. The head was milled .010 which should result in about one degree of cam retard. I'm running the gear at zero right now, though.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
8/6/13 2:55 p.m.

I'm still working on this car. Threw a whole ton of suspension parts at it a few weeks ago. Sunday I had my best local "points series" finish ever. 16th out of 158 drivers. I had a 5th over the winter, but that's kinda not the same. I did an Evo Phase 2 class a few weeks ago and there's no question that helped a lot too. Still a long way to go. A hot shoe could have easily gotten another second out of the car. I may try one set up swing at the next local event, but this is pretty close to what I'm bringing to Nationals.

1000 lb. front springs, Whiteline front bar set to the middle of three spots, 325 lb. rear springs. The front sets a lot faster than the rear. I tried 500 lb. rears and the car felt sharper, but the shocks can't keep up. Car bounced so much the wheels were spinning, and I do have limited slip. Times were about the same. On a smooth surface the big springs may work better, but I'd rather have the thing planting like it does on the softer rears. I may put the stock rear bar back on and see if that helps.

Last year at Nationals I was 13th out of 16 drivers. I won't win this year, but I hope to do a lot better.

Video of my first and fastest run.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wojhqlXKDM8

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/6/13 8:44 p.m.

... 1000lb springs?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
8/6/13 10:35 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: ... 1000lb springs?

Yup. I think I understand this enough to explain it. I can't run roll center adjusters in Street Prepared. The car is lowered, a lot. I don't know where the front roll center is exactly, but it's well underground. So the roll couple is really long. In the rear, it's a solid axle with a panhard bar, so things didn't move nearly as much. So the roll axis is a steep slope. I had a very hard time getting the rear to bite. I kept going up in front spring rate to get more weight transfer and finally got it working at 1000 lbs. Oh yeah, and I drive it to events. Ouch. Not for much longer.

I can do some things in the rear, so once I fabricate a better panhard bar set up, or something, and get the roll center lower, I won't need as much front spring to get the weight transfer. But the front isn't skipping and the Koni 8610s seem to be able to manage them okay. I do have an adjustable front bar now, and it has one more notch. I may try 800 lb and more bar.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
8/6/13 11:07 p.m.

I know that a certain red (former National champ) CP Mustang from Milwaukee has 1000ish pound springs as well...but Darrell does not run a FSB either (as I recall).

If you have time to chat with him at Lincoln, try and do so...pick his brain a bit...one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet, and happy to talk about his car and his experience (which is vast--he is one of those types who's forgotten more than most guys know...).

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
12/28/13 3:43 a.m.

What are you running for the exhaust?

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/28/13 10:46 a.m.
mrhappy wrote: What are you running for the exhaust?

OBX Header (all I could find) and 2.5" straight back to the rear with a "Dynomax" muffler. I paid a shop to make it. They did a really nice job. I could kill a few lbs. if I dumped before the rear wheel, but I kinda like it how it is, and believe it or not, the old 22R sounds cool!

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
12/28/13 5:39 p.m.

It sounds really good inside the car. You don't happen to have any outside video of it do you? I'm trying to decide on what I wanna do on my truck.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 UltraDork
12/29/13 12:15 a.m.
mrhappy wrote: It sounds really good inside the car. You don't happen to have any outside video of it do you? I'm trying to decide on what I wanna do on my truck.

I don't, but have an event coming up on the 11th! See what I can do.

mrhappy
mrhappy HalfDork
12/29/13 2:16 a.m.

Rad. Good luck!

RJEEZY
RJEEZY
11/24/17 10:37 a.m.

Do you have any info on the LSD you put in your celica? I have a 1uzfe in mine and research has come up empty as a direct fit for this rear end. So just curious what you retrofitted or directly installed in yours. Thank you!

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
11/25/17 9:05 a.m.

In reply to RJEEZY :

Hey, this is “swan song” from the celica Gts forum. Dude, pop over there. This thread is ancient. I also have a 1uzfe swapped ra64

RJEEZY
RJEEZY New Reader
11/28/17 3:24 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Thank you for replying back!! It was a long shot getting the OG to reply since he has been inactive for ever but my bait sorta worked cause you replied!!! I will head over and join the forum. Built the car for a lemons race and its this weekend! So will probably start a thread when we get back. Thank you.

3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jXTuNaT2Sjswr4qqnZ17SDMezJeBAlhycmJbZrWdFTkzgOEPgTJanuIrmXA4eSNo