1 2
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/7/16 7:59 p.m.

So the worry about soldering and this specific but simple set up again brings up my question- why not MicroSquirt?

It's cheap and all assembled for a module.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/7/16 8:07 p.m.

The issue is "simple". That means much different things to different people.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/7/16 8:13 p.m.

A 944 is just fuel and spark, with some possible need for idle.

For a new person, it's as little as one needs.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
7/7/16 8:23 p.m.

I don't know, the soldering isn't the issue, I just want to have my head wrapped around everything before I start. As far as micro vs mega, I've already decided mega is the way to go to open myself up to future modifications.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
7/7/16 8:24 p.m.

Sooooo maybe I started the most irrelevant thread ever, but hey deans pictures and diagrams are worth a thousand words.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/7/16 8:40 p.m.

In reply to ahutson03: No not at all. I will be glad to help anyone that wants it with a 944.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
7/8/16 1:13 a.m.
ahutson03 wrote: Sooooo maybe I started the most irrelevant thread ever, but hey deans pictures and diagrams are worth a thousand words.

Heh, welcome to GRM!

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/8/16 6:47 a.m.

How to describe putting a MS in a 944?.. . . . You take a perfectly good running car and make it in to a perfectly good running car. Only it is a better and cooler car.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
7/8/16 10:08 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote:
ahutson03 wrote: Sooooo maybe I started the most irrelevant thread ever, but hey deans pictures and diagrams are worth a thousand words.
Heh, welcome to GRM!

Yeah I've been on here for years, just not a big poster.

I think MS is the route I'm going to take, so plan on plenty more stupid questions from me.

Now off to the vintage racing festival for more bad ideas!

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
7/8/16 11:10 a.m.

In reply to ahutson03:

I'll be home with our newborn this year, but hit up my 924 friends over on the west side of the track, outside of Turn 5 (formerly 2), take the access road past the grandstands and chicane, it will loop around and you should see them up on the hill.

James and Shari are great folks and run a 924S in Spec944 racing and they are building a 944 Turbo powered 924S for the street along with their well built 924 Turbo (aka Shag-E).

Have fun!

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
7/8/16 11:48 a.m.

Nice I'll try to stop by, congrats on the newborn, mine are 4 and 6 now so they're getting to the point where they enjoy it a little more. They've been out at PIR from day one though, getting dragged along to omrra races so I think it's a love hate thing depending on the day and what is racing. Hoping this weather gets a little better, but it's not looking good.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
7/8/16 11:59 a.m.

At this point, I'd skip the EDIS module - they were useful in the early days of MegaSquirt, but now it's pretty easy and well documented to just have the MS read a 36-1 crank trigger and fire coils directly instead of using the Ford module, and it's one less thing to buy.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
7/8/16 1:55 p.m.

Been looking at that except I already have it all set up with the edis in place. I kind of liked only having 2 wires back to the MS that tells it everything

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
7/8/16 3:49 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: At this point, I'd skip the EDIS module - they were useful in the early days of MegaSquirt, but now it's pretty easy and well documented to just have the MS read a 36-1 crank trigger and fire coils directly instead of using the Ford module, and it's one less thing to buy.

In this scenario, what would you suggest using coil wise?

bentwrench
bentwrench Dork
7/8/16 4:07 p.m.

Use the EDIS coil for wasted spark.

If you do COP then it depends on what you want.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TjKfdgOxLzKgywvFyUxicCXWLnbKfEIv0FxDY53fD0S45LJkrn9Xxcd6G2HExUL9