Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
7/17/19 5:09 p.m.

I came across a Merkur with a cage and no powertrain, what is a cheap/ easy way to a V8 car? Installing an LS engine is the first thing that came to mind or maybe a supercharged GM 3.8 sawp?

The seller has been easy to deal with so far and seems to be motivated but the car is rather far away. So I am a bit apprehensive about buying a car I have almost no experience with.

Thanks, Paul

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
7/17/19 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Donebrokeit :

The GRM way is to buy it first, and figure out these details later.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc SuperDork
7/17/19 5:18 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

In reply to Donebrokeit :

The GRM way is to buy it first, and figure out these details later.

There, that takes care of that. 

Waiting for the build thread...

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/17/19 5:47 p.m.

IIRC, there has been a 5.0l Merkur challenge car.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/17/19 6:10 p.m.

3.4l SHO V8!

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
7/17/19 6:38 p.m.

I saw a 5.0 XR4Ti at a car show last month. I bet a whole lot of it was done with Ford parts.

Edit- a proper 5.0, with only one camshaft.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
7/17/19 6:46 p.m.

There's a bunch of stuff online.  Here's a 5.0 swap: http://forums.merkurclub.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23235  Here's a Coyote swap: https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=26576

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/17/19 8:14 p.m.

I think Bondurant had some 5.0 cars put together for classes when these cars were current. I would think that this sort of thing is pretty well documented. The magazine talked about challenges getting an lsd into the factory 3rd member. 

pilotbraden
pilotbraden UltraDork
7/17/19 10:43 p.m.

I recollect that Ford offered a XR8 Sierra built in South Africa. Essentially a XR4ti with a 302 cubic inches v-8. That might be the easy way, as all of the engineering has been done.

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/18/19 7:52 a.m.

5.0 swaps are fairly common, I think. The GRM way would be to go completely off the beaten path and put in an old flathead V8 or something, I suppose. wink

_
_ HalfDork
7/18/19 2:42 p.m.

My vote for yota power. 4cylinder or 8. 

RossD
RossD MegaDork
7/18/19 3:14 p.m.

3.4 SHO sounds fun.

But I like the idea of 2.3 Duratec from a Ranger, transmission from a NC miata, Mazdaspeed 3 MZR turbo bolt on parts, and Megasquirt.

But lets be honest, a 5.0 and T-5 would be pretty awesome, even if its "been done before".

Robbie
Robbie UltimaDork
7/18/19 3:35 p.m.

Gpz11 has a really nice 5.0 swap. Surprised he hasn't seen this thread yet.

Maybe you can contact him directly if he doesn't respond?

slowbird
slowbird Reader
7/18/19 3:37 p.m.

Other oddball ideas:

DOHC 4.6 from a FWD Continental, make a custom transmission adapter b/c it has a weird bellhousing pattern and thus should be cheap compared to RWD DOHC 4.6 engines.

300ci inline-6 truck engine , turbocharged because lol why not.

Ford 400 V8 with 351C parts to make it actually not a turd. I've read up on this a fair bit but not many people go this route.

Thunderbird SC 3.8 V6, 4.2 stroker build. Because you hardly ever see this engine in anything other than a Thunderbird SC.

Entire FWD Continental DOHC 4.6 drivetrain, cut and welded into the back of the Merkur for a mid-engine beast. Custom solution to swap in a manual transmission somehow????????????????

Oh wait the first post said cheap/easy. Whoops laugh

Our Preferred Partners
VRulbUmZX7Lby3I4kMqi1r2rYPkaT44TIOGOWMcjhDQgX7qXaD6Oy2pP8wVSRHY5