1 2 3
unevolved
unevolved Dork
12/7/11 3:58 p.m.

Hit me up. I haven't started an FSAE team from scratch, but I started our school's GRM Challenge team and I'm this year's FSAE Project Manager. I'd be happy to help however I can.

nocones
nocones UltraDork
4/6/16 11:39 a.m.

photo IMG_20160406_082016577_HDR_zpsbwrrkxbd.jpg Now with 5 years of surface rust...  photo IMG_20160406_081859611_zpsnlgmnqxd.jpg I realized I never really showed the results. I still need to finish weld them so I will document that in the next few months. After several long delays (mainly children.. 2 of them). I am back after it. Expect updates here before the end of summer. The goal is to run the car at nationals which requires bodywork so I have to finish.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
4/6/16 11:48 a.m.

Nice to see you back at it! Are those the seats you made or...?

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
4/6/16 11:54 a.m.

Children have a way of doing that

I'm glad to see you are back at it!

Powar
Powar UltraDork
4/6/16 12:39 p.m.

Despite how cool the main subject of the photos is, I found myself wishing for more pics of the bus. I just read the story in your 'Garage' on here. Very cool. I wish mine were a camper.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
4/6/16 12:52 p.m.

Need to move this into the builds section, I don't think there was one when this project started! Also, surface rust is called "patina" these days and is highly fashionable

nocones
nocones UltraDork
4/6/16 1:05 p.m.

Hilariously there are actually 4 cars in the first picture..  photo ceilingsubaru_zps9qqb7clu.jpg

I'm definitely more encouraged now then I have been lately about the project. It's good to see people still are excited to see it finished. Thanks for all the good feedback

petegossett
petegossett UltimaDork
4/6/16 1:24 p.m.

Wow, that looks awesome Daniel! Nice Miata too.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
4/6/16 1:31 p.m.

How come I am not seeing any pictures in this thread?

nocones
nocones UltraDork
6/4/16 12:00 a.m.

I decided to extend the front fender down and do a flat bottom extension on the rocker panel. This worked the best with the exhaust and enables me to make oversized holes in the bottom where the bolt is hiding. I attached a 1/2" tube extension to the frame with a tab for a bolt. The flat metal is atached to the sill and the fender has a small tab on the bottom. It doesn't match the midget lines as much as it would have if I extended the shape of the sill however it's easier to fabricate and makes the wheel vent more hilariously large. I will add a 1/2" lip to the bottom of the flat sill piece and add one to the top of the vent opening to finish of the part. Then the fenders are ready to finish weld.

When I run it at nationals this year it will probably not be finish welded and unpainted so Patina may rock the Solo world. I've still got plenty to do to get it ready but every day I've been doing something little and a fairly large amount of progress has occured already this summer. It's not going to be impossible to finish but it would be much easier with help.

photo IMG_20160531_164433726_zpsz3td7pz3.jpg

photo IMG_20160531_164411373_zpspianmjzf.jpg

nocones
nocones UltraDork
7/4/16 12:37 a.m.

The rear sill extensions are done now also.
 photo IMG_20160629_231711863_zpsgbisvicw.jpg
The bodywork is now fully fabricated ready for finish welding. Its HIGHLY likely the car will look like it does now when it makes it's first Nationals appearance. I will make sure the welding is secure but I'm not sure I will have time to "finish" the welding and even if I do it will not be painted for sure. I'm not sure if that is cool or not but it will definitely stand out.  photo IMG_20160704_241741387_zpsjzzxfmrv.jpg
Also I have the exhaust routed and installed the fuel tank. Next step is remove the engine for interior panel fabrication, then lots of little things like brake lines, fuel lines, clutch install, wireing, put it all together and that should do it. I will move this to a build thread after the next update. I have 9 weeks to get it to nationals.. It's ambitious but I'm to dumb to not try.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento SuperDork
7/4/16 8:42 a.m.

I Love this.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
7/4/16 8:56 a.m.

Love seeing this pop back up top!

84FSP
84FSP Dork
7/4/16 10:29 a.m.

Awesome work here. Big votes for flat black Mad Max Themed beast at Nationals.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
12/15/20 9:07 p.m.

"Indy, why are you bumping this thread"  you ask?

Because the world needs more box flares

nocones
nocones UberDork
12/16/20 9:11 a.m.

HEY I kinda forgot about this thread.

Given all the other projects I have planned and the fact that this car now has a bit of a reputation based on it's looks this is probably as close as this one is going to get to "done" for a long while.  It would be very easy to fully weld and slightly round the corners of the flares to finish them.   But that really requires painting the whole car which I'm not into right now.  I've considered getting it wrapped to see what it would look like in 1 color and then maintain the current looks beneath it.  But lets be honest until this blows up it's just going to get beaten at trackdays until the Subaru is done.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BWSmC0AQfH2oClSudLpVJZa6sR6SFLT4XEZvYVNpMpcbpFQnd9kIPsgG6Fq6N6cF