Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/4/21 4:13 p.m.

Never mind your plywood, prices have roughly tripled. Supposedly its mainly a supply and demand thing  and prices should start dropping around September, but damn! I buy several tons of steel at a time, but what I really should have done is used my PPP money to fill a warehouse! 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
6/4/21 4:48 p.m.

Our suppliers have been singing the same song. Not 3x, but 30% for sure.

NorseDave
NorseDave Reader
6/4/21 4:52 p.m.

Up something like 75% in the last ~8 months for me. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UberDork
6/4/21 4:59 p.m.

Maybe I should sell these old outboard parts to a scrap yard instead of melt them down for casting.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
6/4/21 6:18 p.m.

There is no such thing as inflation. A person from the guvment told me so.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/4/21 6:45 p.m.

It's the scalpers! Let's scalp them! (Secretly adding kindling to a fire that hasn't been lit)

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
SVreX (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/21 6:45 p.m.

Yep. I've been trying to say "It's not just plywood!"

ALL building materials. 

RevRico
RevRico UltimaDork
6/4/21 7:02 p.m.

In reply to SVreX (Forum Supporter) :

Hence why my next set of shelves I custom build will be 1 inch PVC. $5/stick sucks, but it beats the alternatives.

Vajingo
Vajingo HalfDork
6/4/21 7:26 p.m.
RevRico said:

Hence why my next set of shelves I custom build will be 1 inch PVC. $5/stick sucks, but it beats the alternatives.

Plus you can snap it into random things later. Kids bought some hamsters? You now have a hamster tubing shelf. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
6/4/21 7:26 p.m.
RevRico said:

Hence why my next set of shelves I custom build will be warped and sagging 1 inch PVC. $5/stick sucks, but it beats the alternatives.

Fixed it for you.

03Panther
03Panther UltraDork
6/4/21 8:53 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

Maybe I should sell these old outboard parts to a scrap yard instead of melt them down for casting.

My problem is, the price they pay for scrap is still in the gutter. At least near me.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/4/21 10:51 p.m.
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
RevRico said:

Hence why my next set of shelves I custom build will be warped and sagging 1 inch PVC. $5/stick sucks, but it beats the alternatives.

Fixed it for you.

Build with PVC and then fill with concrete.

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/4/21 11:24 p.m.
Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell New Reader
6/5/21 9:07 a.m.

My sister works for NAPA doing bulk ordering so I get good deals on certain stuff, one of those things is sparking plugs.

She texted me 4 months ago to tell me that they were having backorder issues with some of the fast-moving NGK stock numbers, my particular application wasn't affected but it made me look into the issue trying to get a grok.

Veering into wild-haired offtopic,

this is neat!

Best article on the subject of the price crunch on iridium was from Reuters:

Tight supply and hydrogen hopes drive iridium up 160%

LONDON (Reuters)

Iridium has become the latest precious metal to undergo a spectacular price rally, after supply shortages and expectations it will be used to produce hydrogen to power a greener economy lifted its value by 160% in two months.

The difficulty of raising output means prices could rise further, analysts said.

A byproduct of platinum and palladium mining, iridium is vital for many industries. In shipping, it enables the chlorination of ballast water to stop vessels transporting invasive marine species, and for electronics, it is used in crucibles able to withstand the heat of crystal-making.

It can also serve as a catalyst in electrolysis to split water into oxygen and hydrogen, which is increasingly in demand as a cleaner source of power than fossil fuels.

Prices have climbed to a record high of $4,390 an ounce from $1,685 on Dec. 12, accelerating a rally that began in 2016, when iridium cost around $500 an ounce.

Iridium’s rise echoes that of other platinum group metals such as rhodium and palladium, which shot to all-time highs because of supply deficits.

“You’ve got increasing concerns on supply and very weak liquidity in the market,” said Emma Townshend, an executive at Impala Platinum, which mines the metal.

“Iridium supply is not growing. Iridium demand is growing,” she said.

The closure for several months last year of a processing facility run by Anglo American Platinum (Amplats) in South Africa created a supply shortfall just as the demand outlook improved, analysts at Heraeus Precious Metals said.

The stronger demand picture is based on expectations of an economic rebound, as well as anticipation that demand for hydrogen will increase use of iridium.

“Iridium has the longest processing time of all the PGMs, so supply is set to be impacted (by the Amplats closure) well into 2021, providing support for sustained high prices,” Heraeus analysts said.

South Africa produces 80-85% of the world’s iridium. Amplats is a major producer and processes material for other miners.

Around 250,000 ounces are produced each year, compared with around 10 million ounces of palladium and 8 million ounces of platinum. Because the market is small, miners do not change production in response to demand or prices.

Inventories have been run down, said Jeffrey Christian at consultants CPM Group. “No one knows how much is left, but it’s not a lot,” he said.

But,

good news everyone!

Price is going back down.

Spark plugs are cool things indeed, especially the oddball vintage stuff. I'm tempted to become a collector just because entry threshold is low cost, but really makes not much sense in my life, still enjoy seeing such stuff though!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/5/21 10:29 a.m.

I could sell off the excess tubing I bought for the Challenge car for waaayyyy more than I paid for it and have a chassis material cost of $25 !!

Trent
Trent PowerDork
6/5/21 12:57 p.m.

4x8 10ga sheets that I was paying 75 each for 4 months ago were almost 400 last week!

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) UltimaDork
6/5/21 1:41 p.m.

Jeebus !! I just looked up a 20 foot length of 3x1.5x0.120 tubing.......$345 !!      I bought the "drops" that I built my Challenge car chassis with for $8 each for lengths that varied between 10 feet and 11 feet. 

SVreX (Forum Supporter)
6/5/21 2:25 p.m.
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:
SVreX (Forum Supporter) said:
RevRico said:

Fixed it for you.

Build with PVC and then fill with concrete.

So, we are gonna use PVC because it's cheap(er), then fill it with expensive concrete?

I don't think PVC would make very good reinforcing (I haven't tried it). 

In order to get concrete into 1" PVC tube, you are gonna have to mix it into a slurry, which means it would be a really weak mix. With no reinforcing imbedded in the concrete, it would likely break quickly under any load. 

I don't see it working for anything other than a humorous joke. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
E8r1LBuYu1rV4VE7XrD6II4ihEU9LQLLhzL0eUQLweDmGySokNnw7vmhQvwamdgI