alex
alex Dork
8/22/10 9:37 p.m.

Who has the best NB Miata battery?

I ask because I like you guys better than miata.net.

Sultan
Sultan Reader
8/22/10 9:41 p.m.

I post on Miata.Net so I am not nice enough to answer your question. But if I was I would say go to the dealer as it is a special battery.

grimmelshanks
grimmelshanks Reader
8/22/10 9:46 p.m.

why would anyone assault a miata???? o wait, wrong battery

P71
P71 SuperDork
8/22/10 9:49 p.m.

There are lighter options, but seeing as how our Miata actually gets driven every day and has options of things that use electricities like a radio, I got the Yellow-top Optima designed for it. Fits perfect, works perfect. No messing around with hand-making battery tie-downs or re-wiring for a tractor battery or any of that nonsense.

racerfink
racerfink Reader
8/22/10 11:59 p.m.

I've got tractor batteries in both my street car and the race car. Much cheaper than every other option. I think I paid $44 for the last one.

Wowak
Wowak SuperDork
8/23/10 12:27 a.m.

I've been using a $20 Wal-Mart tractor battery in my NA since February of last year. I've run it dead twice and its still fine.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/23/10 4:34 a.m.
Sultan wrote: I post on Miata.Net so I am not nice enough to answer your question. But if I was I would say go to the dealer as it is a special battery.

How is it special? It can't be like a BMW convert where the battery is part of the anti-shake system

RandyS
RandyS Reader
8/23/10 5:32 a.m.
I ask because I like you guys better than miata.net.

You can still search on Miata.net though as this has to be one of the most frequent questions

Sultan wrote: I post on Miata.Net so I am not nice enough to answer your question. But if I was I would say go to the dealer as it is a special battery.

It's not special. It a standard AGM battery. Mazda used the gell cell since the rear firewall is not completely sealed and Mazda didn't want battery acid fumes entering the occupant compartment.

That being said the interior is well ventelated and thousands of people use standard batteries in their Miata's everyday. For a decade now I have personally used a $40 Walmart 51R with a $2 longer holddown bolt.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
8/23/10 5:51 a.m.

My fiat has the battery in the trunk against the unsealed firewall. I can attest to how NASTY the smell of an overcooking battery can be when the fumes get inside the car

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
8/23/10 9:09 a.m.

But the battery that you buy at the local Mazda dealership WON'T be an AGM. It will be a standard wet cell. Which CAN leak. Go for the yellow top, it's only a couple of pounds heavier than the stock battery.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
8/23/10 12:09 p.m.

Thanks for the reminder - the last battery had a dead cell, so my NB is still running the battery I pulled from my M3.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TB5ZUeDjgTgzJMfIYkZiIIssDOt4U8vmhy82n6uuWRwm0LPvlLsNMeUd2XbYlAhT