Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
2/4/09 11:08 p.m.

How bad is a clutch job on a miata?

My 91' is in need of a new clutch and my luck lands me a saturday off with weather topping 55* for a change. I have a new clutch and flywheel ready to go on the car; Upgrading to a 1.8L setup. Would it be easier/more time effective to just drop the trans of pull the whole engine and trans as a unit? I acquired an engine hoist recently for another project that would be great for this.

Monkeywrench
Monkeywrench Reader
2/4/09 11:33 p.m.

Just remove the trans.

Figure couple of hours to remove and a couple of hours to install it back in. You can have it in and out in a day as long as nothing goes wrong. It helps to have an extra set of hands. The only thing that really held me up was taking off the downpipe. Put a new rear seal in there while your at it.

Wowak
Wowak Dork
2/5/09 3:34 a.m.

I didn't really have a problem doing the job with basic hand tools (although long extensions and a few swivels really helped.) The trick is to have jackstands that lift the car high enough that you can actually get the transmission out.

Oh and if you've got a weak starter now is the time to replace it, because you're taking out half the bolts holding it on anyway.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gXcKLyu52iCARZStJAikw071ZEehCtBSmdpvldkN5fShurEBVsi9xoUGET08czm7