einy
einy HalfDork
1/11/20 6:09 p.m.

I am looking to change out my 1991 Miata based Exocet’s current 1.6 liter open diff with a stronger 1.8 liter Torsen unit.  From what I am reading, I believe I need the rear end unit, driveshaft, and both axle shafts to work with my otherwise stock 1.6 powertrain.  Trans is a 5 speed manual.

All that said, are there any known good sources to look to for these parts on the used market who are reputable and who can ship to Cinci Ohio area that you folks recommen from past experience?  

_
_ Dork
1/11/20 7:42 p.m.

Treasure coast Miata. FB groups can be risky but I've mostly had good experiences. 

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
1/12/20 7:49 a.m.

Darren at Midwest Miata Parts should have some in stock, he is in the Columbus area. 

https://www.midwestmiataparts.com/

Rodan
Rodan Dork
1/12/20 8:18 a.m.

You might also try Prestige Spares UK.  They don't have a website, but have been active on miataturbo.net in the parts for sale section, and have a FB page:  PrestigeSparesUK

I haven't seen anything negative about them, and they have very reasonable prices on Miata parts, including shipping to the US.  I bought a 6 speed NB transmission from them and it was on my doorstep in 8 days, for significantly less $$ than I could find one here.

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
1/12/20 8:28 a.m.

ive used Ben's Used Miata Parts in the past.

einy
einy HalfDork
1/12/20 10:26 a.m.

Thanks for all of the feedback.  I will start putting out inquiries this week.

dherr
dherr HalfDork
1/13/20 9:27 a.m.

I am parting out two M-Edition cars and both have the LSD rears. I don't get the cars until this week but if you have trouble finding a rear end and the rest of the parts, shoot me a PM.

Robbie
Robbie MegaDork
1/13/20 10:58 a.m.

I've got a 1.6 vlsd for sale... Dunno if that helps or not, might be an easier swap?

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/14/20 12:17 p.m.
Robbie said:

I've got a 1.6 vlsd for sale... Dunno if that helps or not, might be an easier swap?

That's definitely the easier swap but a part that is in more demand among STS autocrossers since the VLSD rear end is legal but the torsen isn't.

Einy, reach out to pacomotorsports.  He's not far from you and either has one laying around or will know where to go for a deal.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane SuperDork
1/14/20 12:44 p.m.

Blake (?) from isellmiataparts.com is a spec racer from somewhere out in the midwest.  I've never bought a diff from him, but everything else has been exactly as described and priced well.

KyAllroad (Jeremy)
KyAllroad (Jeremy) UltimaDork
1/17/20 9:55 a.m.
dherr
dherr HalfDork
1/17/20 12:49 p.m.

I'll have a Torsen  LSD 1.8 Diff available with axles and the whole subframe if you want soon. Just need to start stripping my spare parts car, should get started on that next week. From a 1994 M-Edition

einy
einy HalfDork
1/17/20 7:15 p.m.

In reply to KyAllroad (Jeremy) :

I saw that one, but the comment about the seller playing around with plate preload caused me some concern, as I’m not well versed (or versed at all, really) on this style diff.

einy
einy HalfDork
1/17/20 7:17 p.m.

In reply to dherr :

I appreciate the heads up, but have reached a package deal on a real low mile 1.8 Torsen and related bits.  Will pickup this weekend, and shortly after get cracking on the swap.

Thanks again !

einy
einy HalfDork
1/17/20 7:18 p.m.

In reply to EvanB :

Great lead to talk with Darren ... many thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
j9HhuOGyNLaZDFdOhoS4n4NiWDhJBpTo7NgErgaDwnQvt1VXAouSEDspTHuvLXqh