paulmpetrun
paulmpetrun None
7/12/08 10:28 p.m.

Ok just finished rebuilding the new engine for the 94 miata. Usuall build 0.020 pistons, ported polished shaved head, balanced etc... Everything went back together well. Drained all old fuel, and replaced fuel, air, and oil filters. New NGk plugs and wires.

Now the problems start. Well actually it wont start! It cranks over and tries to start, but then seems as if the timing is so far out that it can't turn over fast enough to start. I have checked the cam to crank timing about ten times, checked the coils, and the plug wire routing, as well as looked at all the other lines/ wires and nothing seems out of sorts. Also had the starter tested, and it showed good, then replaced the battery.

I can hear the fuel pump and relay working. Cranked it over with the plugs out and grounded to see the spark, checked the compression, and tried the Crank position sensor all over the place for timing. When I pulled the plugs after cranking over a few times they did show signs of igniting with a slight brownish black color. I assume the darker color would the assembly lube/oil being burned off.

I have a sneaking suspicion my CAS went bad, and am going to steal the one off my dads car tomorrow to try. But i also want to hear anything else no matter how goofy it might be to try or look at.

Thanks for any help, advice, guidence or insight Paul

Keith
Keith SuperDork
7/12/08 10:31 p.m.

Check your fuel lines. Do you have the feed going to the rail and the return going to the FPR?

Are your plug wires on the correct coils? As you face the car, the #1 and #4 wires should be on the left coil.

Those are the most popular problems. The CAS rarely goes bad, but the wires that lead to it can crack. And if I remember correctly, the coils and the CAS have interchangeable connectors. The cars don't run well when they're mixed up :)

Don't look for parts that have spontaneously failed. There's a 98% chance the problem is something you had your hands on.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
7/13/08 8:16 a.m.

I have to agree with Keith. You've made a lot of changes. Something is probably screwy with how it was put back together. It happens to us all after a long night of wrenching.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qv3muBuSGCZX8nYFIP0byn5MmUnnNBXt62vhQdduV0Y3XMNlg4itjqwtyCzCJLnF