ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/10/16 7:52 a.m.

As the title say what is the Miata of full size SUV? I'm thinking of budget around high teens to mid twenties, fit at least seven people, reliable, comfortable, full size suv, open to domestic or import. Oh and by Miata of full size suv I meant that it's always the answer the way Miata is always the answer for most what sport car question not necessarily that it handles like a Miata (no full size suv handles like a Miata lol). Thanks guys.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/10/16 7:56 a.m.

Diesel Ford Excursion.

Ross413
Ross413 New Reader
1/10/16 7:57 a.m.

Suburban. Or the answer no one wants... Minivan.

mw
mw Dork
1/10/16 10:16 a.m.

Sequoia

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltimaDork
1/10/16 10:21 a.m.

Suburban, big block if towing.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
1/10/16 10:45 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Diesel Ford Excursion.

Too expensive for what you get, IMO. They are still 10 grand-plus for a 15-year old Ford SUV with well over 100k on it. The 7.3 may be a beast, but the rest of it is still early 2000s Ford.

I think it's pretty hard to go wrong with any of the newer big SUVs. My preference goes toward the Expedition because it has IRS (better ride/handling, more interior room), a higher GCWR (and hence more towing capacity), and they tend to be cheaper than the GM models. And the EL version can haul as much as a Suburban. For that budget you could easily get into a 2009-up version, which gets you the 6-speed tranny with tow/haul, and active anti-sway via the stability control.

SEADave
SEADave HalfDork
1/10/16 10:58 a.m.

I own a diesel Excursion and came here to say Suburban. Common, reliable, cheap and does what 99% of the folks who buy them want out of em.

If the Suburban is the Miata of full-size SUV's then the 7.3 EX is the S2000. Same concept, but with everything turned up to 11.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
1/10/16 11:00 a.m.

I drive a 2009 2500 Suburban at work and if I was looking for a large SUV would buy one myself. Aside from some interior bits that have not held up under some of my hamfisted coworkers mechanically it's held up well for a truck that runs 12+ hours a day every day.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/10/16 12:11 p.m.

Suburban. A billion to choose from. Pretty much every part is stocked at your local auto parts store for cheap. Anyone anywhere who has ever turned a wrench knows how to work on them. They will do 98% of what you want without blinking. If you have a problem just Google it and someone has posted the solution.
Like the Miata they're not flashy or cool (to regular people) but they're the answer staring you in the face.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/10/16 7:17 p.m.

Actually before posting here Suburban was what I had in mind but I think they're more expensive than the Expedition from similar year...but I guess there's a reason for that. Any specific year and/or model of Suburban to choose from?

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
1/10/16 7:25 p.m.

I want to hate the GMT900 platform for being too big and too expensive and too bourgeois, but I've had one or two as rentals and they just flat out rock. I want one in 2500 diesel trim so I can turn it the boost up to 11.

Chadeux
Chadeux New Reader
1/10/16 8:09 p.m.

I've spent a decent amount of time driving both a 2004 Suburban and a 2008 Expedition EL. The Suburban just felt nicer to me. The Expedition does have IRS though, I can't tell that it's any better than the Suburban's 4 link'd solid axle in most situations, but it's there.

EDIT: Also if you get stability control on the Expedition, you get an open diff, which has been more than slightly annoying on multiple occasions.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
1/10/16 8:23 p.m.

I don't know what kind of limited slip I have but it will tug a 60 ft bus out of deep snow and the 6.0 sounds good doing it.

chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
1/10/16 8:43 p.m.

2011-on Dodge Durango. Unibody construction for better passenger space for its size, nice Hemi V8s, heavy tow ratings.

rslifkin
rslifkin New Reader
1/10/16 8:48 p.m.

If you're planning on towing with it, I'd see the IRS on the Expedition as a downside, personally. Nothing like horrid camber wear on the rear tires from it gaining camber as you compress the suspension...

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
1/10/16 8:50 p.m.
Chadeux wrote: EDIT: Also if you get stability control on the Expedition, you get an open diff, which has been more than slightly annoying on multiple occasions.

That's not correct. An LSD is optional, stability control or not.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
1/10/16 8:53 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I want to hate the GMT900 platform for being too big and too expensive and too bourgeois, but I've had one or two as rentals and they just flat out rock. I want one in 2500 diesel trim so I can turn it the boost up to 11.

I want a black Suburban just like that one, and then two more, one to lead me and one to follow me. That way people would assume we are Important Government Agents and get out of the way.

Chadeux
Chadeux New Reader
1/10/16 8:57 p.m.

I read it somewhere that you couldn't get both, at least not in 2008, it is entirely possible I was misinformed. I do know that the one my dad bought has the open diff and stability control (which is currently broken), and it doesn't like dealing with soft ground at all.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/11/16 6:28 p.m.
The 7.3 may be a beast, but the rest of it is still early 2000s Ford.

When you consider that early 2000s Ford truck interiors are much less likely to fall apart than the same period of GM and Dodges, that's a pretty big upside. Also, having worked on some 7.3s and driven a couple of modded ones, the best thing i can say about it is that it's the least bad engine option in that era of big Fords. It's not particularly easy to work on and not particularly powerful. I think its main selling points are that a. all the other engines are almost bad enough to be total dealbreakers, and b. that you buy it hoping that in return for mediocrity you WONT have to work on it.

ea_sport
ea_sport Reader
1/13/16 6:41 p.m.

Any major difference between the 5.3 vs the 6.0 engine in the 11th gen burb?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
1/13/16 8:03 p.m.

The answer is probably gonna be Suburban here, but I personally think the Sequoia is superior in virtually every way other than max towing capacity. Toyota quality, nicer interior, nicer features, quieter, better ride, and better looking. Most of those are subjective, of course. I like Suburbans too.

I do get a chuckle every time my neighbors (who have both a 1999 and a 2014 Suburban) say how much better they like the '99 and how little they like the new one for some reason.

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
1/13/16 9:33 p.m.
ea_sport wrote: Any major difference between the 5.3 vs the 6.0 engine in the 11th gen burb?

A disproportionately higher fuel consumption per hp. You gain a little HP and TQ, but lose considerable MPGs. 5.3L isn't happy towing heavy stuff, but its enough to keep you at 65 mph at the top of the mountain, so more isn't really required. I have schlepped around 36k total combined weight with 180hp from a 366 BBC in a Top Kick. Nothing fast or fancy but it got the job done crossing the rocky mountains.

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
1/13/16 9:35 p.m.

I think either the 'burb or the expedition. The sequoia never really tripped my trigger. Feels bloated, slow, and heavy. Definitely high quality, but you'll probably have to settle for 75% higher miles compared to the same GM or Ford in your price range. Likely fine since its a Toyota.... if it was well maintained.

92dxman
92dxman SuperDork
1/14/16 12:52 p.m.

What about a Tahoe? I think a Burban would be too big for me..

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
1/14/16 7:11 p.m.

Tahoe is just a short 'burb. The difference is basically wheelbase, so anything we discussed above about 'burbs applies to Tahoes.

The Tahoe 2dr is built (more or less) on the single cab/short bed truck with the back end covered. The Tahoe 4dr is based on the ext cab short bed (same as single/long). The Burb is based on a crew cab short bed (or ext cab long bed). But they're all variations in wheelbase on a GM truck frame. Strangely, though, a 'burb doesn't drive as big as you think. At least it doesn't really feel like much difference to me. Drive both and see what you like.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qqJIpnLnOwHOrvN7M7G9JXpSQ0AhErUgM2QCDMYWne10uv153CGG5zlwMsl8oHQz