Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/24/19 8:41 a.m.

My NA MIata is getting the grouchy rear wheel bearing noise. So I figured I'd ask the experienced folks here.  I planned to Rockauto a couple of Timken brand bearings and a couple of lock nuts today. Is there anything else I should add to the order ?

I know this seems like a BS helpless question but I just started a 48 hour work shift so if I get these parts ordered today they can be in transit and I'll be able to tear into it when I get off work and home on Friday.

Thank you.

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
4/24/19 8:48 a.m.

Dust seals? Below is what is described as a "Kit" for this job. Maybe a can of brake-klean.

Pete

morello159
morello159 New Reader
4/24/19 1:52 p.m.

I just did the same thing on mine. I reused the factory snap rings but got new dust seals, timken bearings from rockauto and axle nuts. Pretty straightforward, except I ended up taking each wheel end to be local mazda dealer to have them do the pressing. They told me they typically use a die grinder and air chisel to get the inner race off the old hub. I spent an afternoon at a friend's place with a 12t harbor freight hydraulic jack and it wasn't enough to press the bearing out (plus we didn't really have properly sized pressing tools), so be prepared with either a heavier press or be ready to cough up $50/ea to have a pro do it.

sevenracer
sevenracer Reader
4/24/19 4:29 p.m.

When I did mine, the axle seal on the diff started leaking, so I had go back in and fix that. 

So, I'd recommend replacing that in addition to the seal on the hub. 

codrus
codrus UberDork
4/24/19 7:05 p.m.

If you have ever tracked the car (or have any plans to do so) then I would recommend replacing the rear hubs when you do the bearings.

https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/when-last-time-you-changed-your-rear-hubs-72613/

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/24/19 8:24 p.m.
NOHOME said:

Dust seals? Below is what is described as a "Kit" for this job. Maybe a can of brake-klean.

Pete

Good call. I would have missed the dust seals. I'll be sure and get a couple.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/24/19 8:26 p.m.
morello159 said:

I just did the same thing on mine. I reused the factory snap rings but got new dust seals, timken bearings from rockauto and axle nuts. Pretty straightforward, except I ended up taking each wheel end to be local mazda dealer to have them do the pressing. They told me they typically use a die grinder and air chisel to get the inner race off the old hub. I spent an afternoon at a friend's place with a 12t harbor freight hydraulic jack and it wasn't enough to press the bearing out (plus we didn't really have properly sized pressing tools), so be prepared with either a heavier press or be ready to cough up $50/ea to have a pro do it.

I hope I have it covered. I do have a press and a full OTC Hub Tamer kit. I can usually get something accomplished with those.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/24/19 8:27 p.m.
codrus said:

If you have ever tracked the car (or have any plans to do so) then I would recommend replacing the rear hubs when you do the bearings.

https://www.miataturbo.net/race-prep-75/when-last-time-you-changed-your-rear-hubs-72613/

No track time for this car. It has 114k miles on it and I bought it from the 70 year old lady who owned it since the showroom brand new. To say this car has been pampered would be a huge understatement.

ShinnyGroove
ShinnyGroove New Reader
4/24/19 9:01 p.m.

Essential tools: hub puller and slide hammer, snap ring pliers, BFH, large deep-well impact sockets, breaker bar with extension or impact wrench for the axle nut.  I did the job a few weeks ago without a press; it was definitely an arm/shoulder workout.  Had to use the “towel method” on the slide hammer to get the hubs off of the axles, and had to hit one of them with a MAPP torch.  If you have to use the slide hammer as hard as I did, you might want to replace the wheel studs too.  Had to pound the bearings out of the uprights with a 3 lb sledge and a large impact socket.  I used the old bearing as an impactor to drive the new bearing home.

Cousin_Eddie
Cousin_Eddie HalfDork
4/25/19 6:43 a.m.
ShinnyGroove said:

Essential tools: hub puller and slide hammer, snap ring pliers, BFH, large deep-well impact sockets, breaker bar with extension or impact wrench for the axle nut.  I did the job a few weeks ago without a press; it was definitely an arm/shoulder workout.  Had to use the “towel method” on the slide hammer to get the hubs off of the axles, and had to hit one of them with a MAPP torch.  If you have to use the slide hammer as hard as I did, you might want to replace the wheel studs too.  Had to pound the bearings out of the uprights with a 3 lb sledge and a large impact socket.  I used the old bearing as an impactor to drive the new bearing home.

I sure hope you're from the rust belt. I'm hoping to not take as much of a beating as you did. 

codrus
codrus UberDork
4/25/19 11:43 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie said:
ShinnyGroove said:

I sure hope you're from the rust belt. I'm hoping to not take as much of a beating as you did. 

Miata axles and hubs are very reluctant to come apart, it is far from unusual for them to laugh at the standard 20 ton HF press.  I got one apart after beating on it with a slide hammer for 30 minutes, the other one required an air hammer.  This was on a California car that has never seen snow or salt.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
4/25/19 12:17 p.m.

When, either in miles driven or number of autocross runs, is this a concern for a well cared for and never tracked 1999?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/25/19 12:26 p.m.

What do you mean by "this"? The drive flange failure? Low to nonexistent. Bearing failure? The car will tell you by making the official bearing failure warning sound.

Floating Doc
Floating Doc Dork
4/25/19 12:34 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

What do you mean by "this"? The drive flange failure? Low to nonexistent. Bearing failure? The car will tell you by making the official bearing failure warning sound.

Thanks Keith, that's exactly the answer that I needed.

morello159
morello159 New Reader
4/25/19 12:36 p.m.

I too thought about replacing the hubs but mine look fine and the only locally available replacements were made in China. So I reused them. 

I've also experienced the siezed axle-in-hub, when replacing my bushings. No amount of pressing or hammering would get it out, including an air hammer. No-rust California car. I ended up getting a new hub from the local miata parts guy. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VphNmdHwH0VYzO57Ppk43CYxqNDVfJkJzTVve5LbRU5mmSaA0w9SXT2jhOfu72uI