1 2 3
MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 11:24 a.m.

Best of the 3? I would like my next car to be RWD.

2010 or newer models only All rwd manual cars.

Under 25 y/o male insurance concerns

Pros/cons of each? here are my pros/cons with these 3.

Miata: Small, big aftermarket. cons: Small, convertible.

FRS/BRZ: Aftermarket, bigger than the miata. Cons: Under powered imo, and I dont trust subaru engines/trans at all.

Genesis Coupe: Good engine(based on the 4B11T) cons: aftermarket, reviews of shifter feel are less than flattering and korean build quality.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/3/14 11:29 a.m.

Those all sound about right. I'd go either FRS/BRZ or the slower and even more underpowered (interesting that you didn't list that as a con...) MX-5. I'll take mine in Club PRHT version.

The Gen Coupe is just too heavy to feel like a sports car. Awesome GT car. (If that's what you're really looking for, then i'd go with that.)

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/3/14 11:29 a.m.

There is too many other cars in this category to even bother listing them all.....shop around, I'd rather have a z4 than all of those you listed.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
11/3/14 11:33 a.m.

Frisbee all the way. Fix the power issue with a turbo kit.

This is my exact plan to replace the Sentra next year.

captdownshift
captdownshift Dork
11/3/14 11:34 a.m.

Frisbee, after this afternoon Cosworth will have addressed your power concerns with a lysolm unit. I wouldn't be too concerned about the FA20, it's far superior to the 20 year old EJ series design.

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 11:44 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

The miata weighs 2500 and makes 167hp/140ftlbs while the frs/brz weighs 2800 lbs and makes 200hp/151ftlbs.

the NC dynos at 120-130hp/125-130ftlbs while the FRS/BRZ dyno at 160-170hp/130-145ftlbs.

imo they are similar enough for it to not matter other than the frs/brz is heavier

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 11:44 a.m.
yamaha wrote: There is too many other cars in this category to even bother listing them all.....shop around, I'd rather have a z4 than all of those you listed.

trying to stay under $30k and newer than 2010.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/3/14 11:46 a.m.

Of those I'd go for the Toyobaru. They seem to be pretty reliable so far, and have possibly the biggest aftermarket for any modern car. There are plenty of options to increase power but it's not that low in stock form IMO. The NC's power to weight ratio is close.

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 11:46 a.m.

In reply to jstein77:

both the NC and frs/brz have FI options and LS swap options that are similar so the power potential is not really an issue for me.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/3/14 11:47 a.m.

BRZ Limited.

Just picked mine up about 10 days ago. Phenomenal car. I really don't find it underpowered and I like the top-end power delivery.

Previous fun cars include E30s (one S52 swapped, one 318is), 350Z, MazdaSpeed 3, 2013 Mustang GT, 1990 Miata track rat and a 2006 Miata daily.

It's easily my favorite. I've already put a tune on it with the OpenFlash Tablet and I'll do a full exhaust and suspension some times next year.

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
11/3/14 11:49 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: The miata weighs 2500 and makes 167hp/140ftlbs while the frs/brz weighs 2800 lbs and makes 200hp/151ftlbs. the NC dynos at 120-130hp/125-130ftlbs while the FRS/BRZ dyno at 160-170hp/130-145ftlbs. imo they are similar enough for it to not matter other than the frs/brz is heavier

It certainly feels noticeably quicker than my Miata with a tune/FM muffler. Not drastic, but it could also be the power delivery.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/3/14 11:50 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: The miata weighs 2500 and makes 167hp/140ftlbs while the frs/brz weighs 2800 lbs and makes 200hp/151ftlbs. the NC dynos at 120-130hp/125-130ftlbs while the FRS/BRZ dyno at 160-170hp/130-145ftlbs. imo they are similar enough for it to not matter other than the frs/brz is heavier

Except one runs the quarter mile SUBSTANTIALLY quicker than the other.

I'm not trying to say either one is a rocket, i just found it funny how this forum loves to point out how slow some cars are, then not say anything of the sort about the Miata. The point was simply that the MX5 shares the same "con" of being underpowered, and it was curious that it wasn't listed.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
11/3/14 11:54 a.m.
MrChaos wrote: Best of the 3? I would like my next car to be RWD. 2010 or newer models only All rwd manual cars. Under 25 y/o male insurance concerns Pros/cons of each? here are my pros/cons with these 3. Miata: Small, big aftermarket. cons: Small, convertible. FRS/BRZ: Aftermarket, bigger than the miata. Cons: Under powered imo, and I dont trust subaru engines/trans at all. Genesis Coupe: Good engine(based on the 4B11T) cons: aftermarket, reviews of shifter feel are less than flattering and korean build quality.

Do please tell me what the FRS/BRZ lacks the power to perform? Unless you live and commute on the racetrack, the only power it lacks is that required to inflate a weak ego.

Both the Miata and the Twins address your 25 year-old insurance concerns by being considered as "reasonably powered by your insurer". That wont be the case with the Genesis. Your insurance company will treat you like a child molester if the Genesis is going to be your only car.

That said, I agree that the twins are not cars that I trust in the long run. I compare the FRS to the Miata that I drove year round for 13 years, and am pretty sure that it is not going to age as well as the Miata. Just not built as well. I am new to the Subaru drive-trains, but same thing there, not convinced that there will be much left once the car is 10 years old ( my usual tenure for a new car) I hope to be proven wrong.

My plan is to stick it out with the FRS either until its tenure passes or it dies,and shop a used ND Miata. Besides the fact that it weights a lot more than the Miata or the FRS the Genesis I would not buy just because for some reason I do not like Hyundai.

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 11:56 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

it think everyone knows the miata is under powered and it is expected.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
11/3/14 12:00 p.m.

I have nothing against Hyundai, but to me the big turnoffs of the Genesis Coupe are the weight, size, and surprisingly poor aftermarket support - it's weak at all of the Toyobaru's strong points.

codrus
codrus Dork
11/3/14 12:05 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I'm not trying to say either one is a rocket, i just found it funny how this forum loves to point out how slow some cars are, then not say anything of the sort about the Miata. The point was simply that the MX5 shares the same "con" of being underpowered, and it was curious that it wasn't listed.

You don't need to list, it's obvious in the fact that it's a Miata. :)

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/3/14 12:06 p.m.
codrus wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I'm not trying to say either one is a rocket, i just found it funny how this forum loves to point out how slow some cars are, then not say anything of the sort about the Miata. The point was simply that the MX5 shares the same "con" of being underpowered, and it was curious that it wasn't listed.
You don't need to list, it's obvious in the fact that it's a Miata. :)

Touche.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
11/3/14 12:22 p.m.

In reply to MrChaos:

Too easy....

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=46070&endYear=2015&modelCode1=Z4&sortBy=bestmatchb&showcaseOwnerId=0&startYear=1981&makeCode1=BMW&transmissionCode=MAN&transmissionCodes=MAN&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=30000&showcaseListingId=0&mmt=[BMW[Z4[]][]]&listingId=382616711&Log=0

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
11/3/14 12:26 p.m.

Unless you're shopping '13 newer Gen Coupes, stick with the 3.8L. The 210hp Theta is not enough engine in there. The lack of forged lower end and they can handle about 300whp before E36 M3tin' the bed. They actually handle EXTREMELY well for their size. The 2.0T R-spec cars are very neutral, but are hard to coax into power-on oversteer because of the lack of power.

Sign me up for the 3.8 R-spec in a heartbeat.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
11/3/14 12:29 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: Frisbee all the way. Fix the power issue with a turbo kit.

I'd do a supercharger. We have local shops making 240whp and 240wtq for $7k including install and any fluids lost. $7k gets you a good to go car.

Not the best roi, but considering how awesome the car is, not bad in my eyes.

Petrolburner
Petrolburner Reader
11/3/14 12:47 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to jstein77: both the NC and frs/brz have FI options and LS swap options that are similar so the power potential is not really an issue for me.

Talking about expensive power potential down the road, why not just get a C6 Corvette in the first place? Insurance is cheap, many examples available for less than $30k. Number 3 of all time on Car and Driver's 10 Best list.

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 1:08 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

a male under 25 with 1 point on my license and you think a c6 Corvette will be cheap to insure for me?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
11/3/14 1:11 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to Petrolburner: a male under 25 with 1 point on my license and you think a c6 Corvette will be cheap to insure for me?

Probably.

Corvettes historically are cheaper to insure than you'd think because it's usually old men in diapers driving them.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
11/3/14 1:24 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: trying to stay under $30k and newer than 2010.

2015 Mustang Ecoboost?

Not sure about insurance, though...

MrChaos
MrChaos Reader
11/3/14 2:15 p.m.

The FA20 in the brz/frs still scares me. It didn't help that I went to the ft86forum and looked in the issues sub forum and the issues with the engine thread(for the CEL/SL/Idle Issue) is now 132 pages long and there are still the same engine issues since launch. It doesn't matter if it is a modded car or a stock car they all are having the same issues and some are on their 5th engine and 10th ecu and the issue still isn't fixed and the issue has been present since launch. It doesn't matter if it is a 2013 model year or a 2014/15 model year.

I still need to see the numbers for the Manual Ecoboost mustang. but it and the miata are front runners right now.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Cfbx31O1ztPYseKctx75cVi5LeA1dBzhfAwcpPwtQGmNtmtolkUBvNseunWD91FN