1 2 3
JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
4/22/22 12:13 p.m.

A friend of mine bought a 1979 Limited Edition MGB and swapped in a Rover 3.9l V8.  That was a fun MGB for surprisingly little money.  The handling wasn't modern, but it definitely keeps your attention.

I've only owned TR6s for British cars but have driven Midgets, MGBs, Austin Healeys, and others.  None of them are boring cars bone stock.  Midgets can be a blast.  Something to look out for is over-modifying an MGB.  It's possible to turn it into something that is painful to drive.  I'd recommend a freshening with closer to stock parts.  My current TR6 is near the edge of what I'd drive on the street, but so is my Miata.  Both are fun in different ways.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/22/22 12:21 p.m.

I think an MGB with a swapped Miata drivetrain would be a really nice restomod. I know Carl's a serial offender in this regard and I've seen a nice GT put together that way. The engine looks vintage, but you'd get modern(ish) driveability and reliability along with a great shifter without it becoming all about the power.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/22/22 12:36 p.m.

MGB's especially rubber bumper B's  aren't really in the high demand collectors status yet.  So a conversion to the Miata drive train  is probably a logical choice. 
    While I-personally  would use SU carbs I see no objection  to converting them to EFI.  Then it would almost look like a Twin cam MGB.  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/23/22 12:11 p.m.
frenchyd said:

While I-personally  would use SU carbs I see no objection  to converting them to EFI.  Then it would almost look like a Twin cam MGB.  

Well, yes and no.....the Miata doesn't really emulate the classic DOHC British look - the real Twin Cam looks more like a shorter Jag engine (think the 4 cylinder XK prototype).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
4/23/22 12:33 p.m.

It's generically vintage enough to look like it belongs. A Honda K series, by comparison, appears that  someone left their toolbox under the hood. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/23/22 1:03 p.m.
wspohn said:
frenchyd said:

Well, yes and no.....the Miata doesn't really emulate the classic DOHC British look - the real Twin Cam looks more like a shorter Jag engine (think the 4 cylinder XK prototype).

If the valve covers are aluminum.  Have them polished and it will at least give the flavor if not the exact look.   You're right more Jaguar than MG. Since the whole top would be polished.  The MG looks to me like they were putting 1/2 of another octagon. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
4/24/22 2:54 p.m.
BenB said:

... When I'd drive my dad's MGB, I'd even occasionally get thumbs-ups from Porsche drivers, something I don't think has ever happened to anyone driving a Miata. 

I actually had a guy in a newer Cayman compliment my car - I was surprised as all get out.

I mean, I think it looks cool, but I own it, so I'm biased.  Just a little STR car, it looks the part, but man, that guy was driving one of THE cool cars to have. 

It was a test drive of a maroon/black top '73 B that made me want a little roaster.  Took me 35 years, but I finally got a little convertible sports car. 

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/25/22 1:53 p.m.
frenchyd said:
wspohn said:
frenchyd said:

If the valve covers are aluminum.  Have them polished and it will at least give the flavor if not the exact look.   You're right more Jaguar than MG. Since the whole top would be polished.  The MG looks to me like they were putting 1/2 of another octagon. 

I only use the Twin Cam engine in my race car and they are polished!  And you will probably recognize the chrome cap nuts - head nuts from old I6 Jag and small cap nuts on cam covers from V12 Jags!

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
4/25/22 8:04 p.m.

Beautiful. 
 Serious envy here   I love the Webers too!  

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
4/26/22 11:24 a.m.
frenchyd said:

Beautiful. 
 Serious envy here   I love the Webers too!  

Special vintage engine - I grafted the Twin Cam head onto a 5 main MGB bottom end punched out to 1950 cc using a factory competition crossdrilled nitrided crank  Was an interesting exercise!

I apologize, but it walks away from an XK150 S on top end. smiley Also frustrated Porsche 356 Carrera with 4 cam engines (their engine was probably worth many times my whole car).

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hU7aWxUOFnVSeM8zq0byxoItuUmcDbg8dX0ozhFd52epzIUWuiQqky5EXNuwDk9X