Marty
Marty New Reader
5/9/14 6:42 a.m.

2001 Miata SE. Passenger side window suddenly stopped working yesterday. Window never started moving slow or anything, just stopped. Wont go down. I'm thinking it is the switch. Looks like I need to figure out how to take the console apart without screwing it up. The odd thing is the cruise control stopped working at the same time. They (the issues) cannot possibly be tied together can they?

Marty

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
5/9/14 6:58 a.m.

Are they on the same fuse? Taking apart a Miata console isn't exceptionally hard, but I'd start in the fuse box, especially if cruise control happens to be on the same fuse. If that's it, then find out why the fuse blew. How long since you cleaned the window tracks? They can get a buildup of crud in them that makes the window motors work really hard.

OneJay
OneJay New Reader
5/9/14 11:30 a.m.

If you do need to take the console apart, be careful about the tabs holding in the window switches. Use the smallest screwdriver you have, and be gentile. I broke both tabs on mine trying to take it out the first time.

But yes, I'd start in the fuse box.

Marty
Marty New Reader
5/9/14 2:47 p.m.

Nope, not fuses. One does BOTH windows and a separate one does cruise and instruments. Don’t think its window tracks, the passenger window never showed any signs of slowing down, actually worked much faster and smoother than the drivers window. It just suddenly stopped working. On the console, does that small bezel around the window switches just pop out or do I have to remove the entire console. I looked on the "internet" and found conflicting instructions.
Thanks, Marty

evildky
evildky Dork
5/9/14 4:20 p.m.

You don't have to take the console apart the power window buttons pop out. The good news is it's likely the plastic tabs that activate the switch within that broke, the bad news is you still gotta buy a new switch for about $120 IIRC. Once you have the button out you can open it up to reveal the circuit board with the actual switches and you can activate the windows form there to get them up while you wait for the replacement part. One word of warning. The outer plastic buttons contain the springs that return to center, when you remove them you have to center the switch when not in use or risk burning up motors.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
5/9/14 4:31 p.m.

If it's the switch, and they're the same in a '99, go to miata.net and find a guy by the handle of midtenn. He's parting one now, I just got home from picking up the engine. Fair pricing, good guy.

evildky
evildky Dork
5/10/14 11:45 a.m.

The 99-00 models didn't have the auto down feature and the harness attaches at the opposite side of the switch. It can still work you just have to reverse the pins in the harness pigtail. I just did this to add auto down to my 99 when the switch broke.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dA6F4JG8kFleFq2X6lOLSNt4J6c5jps7lF1DGJgYfO8oH21ADZ5MzifUp0HXrkDa