3 4 5 6
mfennell
mfennell New Reader
5/16/13 2:07 p.m.
xflowgolf wrote: I've often pondered that it might even be a more financially sound option. Going by the math that the average person drops $30K on a new vehicle, that depreciates like crazy, and ends up with a ~$8K car by the time they start that cycle over... they probably would be better off with a $40K exotic in the garage... and a $5K beater to drive everyday. At the end of that 8 year cycle (or whatever...), the car in the garage is likely still worth $40K... and their now $1500 beater only needs replaced with another $5K DD. (Rather than another $30K Camcord to depreciate)

I was shocked to recently discover you can spend 30k+ on a new 4 cylinder Accord.

It's a risk trade in some sense. Depreciation is the risk with a daily driver but it's reasonably predictable, if ugly. A wallet-exploding failure is your bigger exotic car risk, though most modern exotic cars certainly continue to depreciate. Best guess, my 360 has lost $8k in value in the 2.5 years I've owned it. Part of that is the time component of the expensive services, which were fresh when I bought it. On a percentage basis, it clearly out performs any new car but best not to do the per-mile math. :)

The failure risk can't be ignored. For example, post '99 360s have pre-cats in the headers. They fail. Reversion happens. $25k later, you have a nicely freshened up engine. One of the major plusses of my particular car was aftermarket Tubi headers w/o those pre-cats.

Still, as I said, I've done exactly what you suggest for some time and it has worked out pretty well for me. I won't pretend a little luck wasn't involved, though. It ran out a little this year and my trans is about to come out for the THIRD godd*mned time in 4 months. It's 14hr to R&R.

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
5/16/13 2:57 p.m.

What's the deal with the trans? I thought that was one of the less fragile bits on the 360.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/16/13 8:24 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Middle class is really hard to define. I am in the 43% according to the little online calculator. I have two kids in private preschool, two at home with stay-at-home-Mom, no TV other than AmazonPrime ($40 per year), no newspaper, $57/month total cell bill, $40/month total internet bill and mortgage + wife student loan debt. Right now it's getting ugly, certainly not in any way able to afford any sort of exotic. Not even really able to afford the types of cars my family would "need".

Dude, I am an engineer with a good company at a solid job in a decent location. I have only gotten positive reviews and praise from my superiors. How the heck am I only in the 43%!? I am a sad panda.

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
5/16/13 8:58 p.m.

How am I at the upper quartile with a similar professional description? Other then I am a badass engineer... I still cant really afford the E36 M3 my neighbors manage to buy (finance!)

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/16/13 9:03 p.m.
Paul_VR6 wrote: How am I at the upper quartile with a similar professional description? Other then I am a badass engineer... I still cant really afford the E36 M3 my neighbors manage to buy (finance!)

I don't know. PM sent.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
5/16/13 9:44 p.m.

There seems to be a little indecision on what is exotic and what isn't. I think it's exotic if its something you don't need and can't really afford, but get it anyway. :) I have been fortunate enough to store my Dad's 91 vette while he and Mom are between houses. I have two high schoolers that I still have to get through college, so a toy is out of the question. Dad says one day the vette will be mine, not much of a vette guy but its fun driving my daughter to a friends house in it, and she asks me to leave the radio off so she can hear the exhaust. :D I think the best bet is get something that is fun and affordable and enjoy it and drive the hell out of it. Someday I will do just that...

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast New Reader
5/16/13 9:48 p.m.

Also, Dad's Vette is white with red interior, auto( unfortunately), original tires and only 35,000 miles:)

Paul_VR6
Paul_VR6 HalfDork
5/17/13 5:55 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I don't know. PM sent.

Not sure how PMs work here but I don't think I got anything from you. Email kandpperformance at gmail dot com.

Location has a lot to do with it, I'm right on the I95 corridor in the Mid-Atlantic. When you start to take into account cost of living it's probably not far off.

I could probably sell off my race car, all the associated support "stuff" and my other misc "junk" and be able to afford something like a 930. I don't think I could/would want to touch a Lambo or Ferrari. That and I'd feel like a total shiny happy person driving one. In a snowstorm.

mfennell
mfennell New Reader
5/17/13 7:25 a.m.
nderwater wrote: What's the deal with the trans? I thought that was one of the less fragile bits on the 360.

Clutch release bearing. It was leaking so the trans was pulled to replace the seals but it was mis-installed. Out again. Now it's making noise.

Storz
Storz HalfDork
5/17/13 7:30 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
tuna55 wrote: Middle class is really hard to define. I am in the 43% according to the little online calculator. I have two kids in private preschool, two at home with stay-at-home-Mom, no TV other than AmazonPrime ($40 per year), no newspaper, $57/month total cell bill, $40/month total internet bill and mortgage + wife student loan debt. Right now it's getting ugly, certainly not in any way able to afford any sort of exotic. Not even really able to afford the types of cars my family would "need".
Dude, I am an engineer with a good company at a solid job in a decent location. I have only gotten positive reviews and praise from my superiors. How the heck am I only in the 43%!? I am a sad panda.

Do we work for the same company....

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/17/13 7:33 a.m.
Storz wrote:
tuna55 wrote:

A two letter acronym with a blue circle logo that is famous for not paying taxes?

Storz
Storz HalfDork
5/17/13 7:43 a.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Storz wrote:
tuna55 wrote:
A two letter acronym with a blue circle logo that is famous for not paying taxes?

hmm guess not, mine is a 5 letter acronym lol

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
5/17/13 7:48 a.m.

mfennell - Sorry to hear that. On the right side, you have some pretty cool rides in your garage!

Tuna - I went to an engineering school with a large management program. My friends used to rag on the management guys mercilessly because they weren't in a 'real' major. Now they're all reporting to those guys, working harder and getting paid less.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/17/13 8:04 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Tuna - I went to an engineering school with a large management program. My friends used to rag on the management guys mercilessly because they weren't in a 'real' major. Now they're all reporting to those guys, working harder and getting paid less.

yeah dude, the manager guys were the ones who failed calc two more than twice. Now they're our bosses - I even knew that would happen then.

BradLTL
BradLTL Dork
5/17/13 8:54 a.m.

I've owned many different sports cars (I know we all have), the most "exotic" of those were the 2 Boxsters. There are a couple lessons that I've learned...

1. Buying a car isn't the same thing as affording a car. This is exponential as you get further and further down the "exotic" axis.

2. Don't buy on credit if there is anyway at all for you to avoid it. If you have to use credit, buy the cheapest car you can and pay it off fast. Everything else in your life will thank you for this.

3. Don't keep up with the "Jones" or in our case the car-Jones. The overwhelming majority of people have almost no financial skills or aptitude. Your friends with the cool, modded car that you love? Yeah, they probably have many thousands of dollars on a credit card at 29% interest. Same thing goes for those boats, bikes and RVs in suburbia.

I'm not just repeating the things our grandparents told us (they were right by the way)... I'm saying that because I've made each one of those mistakes directly related to cars. Thankfully I married a woman who whipped me into shape on my finances (she works in the credit department of a bank). 5 years later, I could not only buy, but afford a reasonable exotic.

Moral of the story, get your finances straight first, and then the cars will be more reachable.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
5/17/13 9:10 a.m.

Where's this online calculator again? I haven't found it in this thread.

mfennell
mfennell New Reader
5/17/13 9:13 a.m.

When I was writing code, I used to rag on my System Engineering buddy. "You need to do some REAL work." Guess who was co-founder of the company I work for now? (To be fair, he's way smarter than me. Better looking too. And taller. It's really annoying.)

I now live in the gray area between real engineering, sales/marketing, and management. Translation: I'm useless at three different things and but it pays better.

Thanks nderwater. I complain like a b*tch some days but my wife sets me straight. "Oh, is your F.E.R.R.A.R.I acting up again? That's soooo awful."

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
5/17/13 9:22 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Where's this online calculator again? I haven't found it in this thread.

http://www.whatsmypercent.com/

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
5/17/13 9:29 a.m.
mfennell wrote: I complain like a b*tch some days but my wife sets me straight. "Oh, is your F.E.R.R.A.R.I acting up again? That's soooo awful."

ftw. this one belongs in the magazine.

Mike
Mike HalfDork
5/17/13 1:09 p.m.

Wow. This really turned into a thread. When I said middle-class, I was thinking of it as meaning you had the bills paid on all of the basics, were putting some away for retirement, and had a budget left over for entertainment.

Cars? My own top list would be Tesla Roadster, Audi R8 V8 manual, and, thanks to this thread, Ferrari 360. Less intimidating to afford, the second list would be Lotus Elise and Porsche 911.

I'm especially enjoying the conversation about the costs of owning an exotic. The care and feeding needs are terrifying. Plus, I'd really want to have a second car for the getting of groceries and puttering back and forth to work on ugly days. That means scrounging up enough for a used Leaf or cheaper, an old Civic.

Ashyukun
Ashyukun Reader
5/17/13 1:22 p.m.
Mike wrote: Wow. This really turned into a thread. When I said middle-class, I was thinking of it as meaning you had the bills paid on all of the basics, were putting some away for retirement, and had a budget left over for entertainment. Cars? My own top list would be Tesla Roadster, Audi R8 V8 manual, and, thanks to this thread, Ferrari 360. Less intimidating to afford, the second list would be Lotus Elise and Porsche 911. I'm especially enjoying the conversation about the costs of owning an exotic. The care and feeding needs are terrifying. Plus, I'd really want to have a second car for the getting of groceries and puttering back and forth to work on ugly days. That means scrounging up enough for a used Leaf or cheaper, an old Civic.

As was said earlier- everyone has their own different definitions of 'middle-class' and 'exotic'.

I definitely wouldn't have the D as my only car unless I had absolutely NO choice (if I were told, "You can keep ONE car and JUST ONE!" it would be the one I'd hold on to...) since like most sports cars it's just not well suited to many mundane things, but it's not left me stranded since I finally got it all sorted out. Owning it isn't all that expensive honestly- mileage isn't much worse than any other sports car of its era (better than some, but it's also correspondingly underpowered...), but that's primarily because I do all of the work on it myself. Parts aren't always the cheapest- especially since unlike everything else I've dealt with you're essentially NEVER going to find one in a salvage yard to pull parts from (and if I did, it wouldn't be there for long...)- but it isn't as bad as most expect (and as some of the other cars discussed sound like they have it...).

Enyar
Enyar HalfDork
5/17/13 4:25 p.m.

As others have mentioned, I could easily afford one but I have other priorities and the maintenance scares me.

To me the answer is Locost 7.

mr2peak
mr2peak HalfDork
5/17/13 8:24 p.m.

It's the maintenance. 10k mis-shifts. $500 oil changes. $2,000 for tires.

Oh and then there's the insurance cost...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/20/13 11:23 a.m.

So last week this thread really got me thinking. I went off to Fchat and had a look around. I found this great thread http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/348-355/341922-my-355-mini-restoration-story.html by a guy who bought a low mileage 355 Spider of $35k with only 13k miles on it and did a ‘mini’ restoration. He’d never done anything like this before, he farmed out the engine work and paint, but did the rest himself. It makes fascinating reading and anyone who is working on interiors should read the whole thing. He did an engine out service, replaced the headers as the OEM ones can fail and kill the engine, changed the color from an awesome green to yawn, red, and did a full DIY interior restoration including recoloring the seats, replacing the dash leather at home and restoring all the plastic. That part is a really worth registering and reading, he spent time trying different paints to match color and texture, different cleaning products. This is a must read.

Here are some comments he made about buying this car as opposed to buying a better one to start with:

Now, the color change I wouldn’t have done, First of all , thank you for all your wonderful encouragements and compliments, it's a great motivator to keep going!

As for the question, I bought the car not knowing too much about it other than researching prices. I know I wanted a 355 and it had to be a spider.

When researching, I saw a lot of cars with a lot of mileage and by this I mean more than 30-35 thousand miles selling for over 50k.

When I had the chance of getting a 13 thousand mile car for 35k, I jumped on it thinking I could have the major done and get it repainted all for about 15k and I'd have a pristine car for about 50k

Once I got the car, reality set in: Headers can kill your car, aftermarket upgrades look so cool but are pricey, even the smallest part costs hundreds of dollars, the interior is sticky, Most of my knowledge came off this chat and I read a lot and learned fast thanks to everyone here and the sponsors.
I could have plunked down more money but I didn't have it so this is allowing me to get familiar with the car, do all the work early in the car's mileage life and make sure it gets done well. It's a lot more than I bargained for in terms of time, money and everything.
Perhaps if I'd have known it would be like this, I probably would have waited or never even bothered buying a car like this.
This being said, I am still very excited and there's no turning back now so I have to plow ahead and get her done. I will appreciate the car a lot more once I get to drive it and enjoy it.

After that post there was plenty of feedback from others pointing out that he has actually ended up with a much better and nicer car than just buying one for $65k to start with.

Having said all that, even allowing for the fact the color change wasn’t needed, here are his costs, sit down first I warn you. And this is with him getting lucky and finding an OEM windshield for less than $1,000 when they can go for 3-4 times that!

Final Restoration budget

-air vent cover for interior: 150$
-major service kit: 830$
-fuel regulators: 620$ for 2
-cv boot kits: 160$
-thermostat: 145$
-oil filter: 25$
-alternator pulley: 50$
-Fabspeed headers, bypass cats and sec. bypass + ceramic coating: 5400$
-powder coating covers: 0$ (Friend of mine, no charge)
-New wire Set: 425$
-head cover gaskets: 15$
-Refinish mags: 700$
-New air tire valves: 50$
-New CV boot heat shields: 200$
-Carbonio carbon Fibre Door sills: 500$
-Stainless Steel Ferrari engraved sill inserts: 125$
-Mirror switch face plate: 28$
-Stainless steel Passenger Footrest: 100$
-HVAC Panel Replacement: 80$
-2 blank Keys: 32$
-5 Aluminium Wheel - Seat Inserts: 40$
-Engine Bay lateral right side protection: 140$
-Door key lock gaskets: 40$
-Euro directional white clear front lights: 275$/pair
-Wheel center caps: 130$
-Valve stem tire caps: 6$
-2 new Muffler clamps: 20$
-New OEM windshield: 1000$
-Labor to replace windshield: 500$
-Full paint and color change: 7500$
-Skid protectors: 150$
-New leather for dash: 175$
-leatherique treatment and dye: 300$
-cleaners/solvents/paint to refinish sticky interior: 120$
-New air bag sticker, paint sticker, wing badges, tire pressure sticker, pininfarina badges: 75$
-New hood struts rear: 60$/pair
-Replacement rear OEM grille cover: 250$
-2 hydrographic carbon fiber dip kits: 200$
-caliper stencils: 10$
-New Kenwood eXcelon XR-S17P speakers: 200$
-New Power steering reservoir: 40$
-Ssnake oyl seat belt repair and new retractors: 250$
-Driver seat mechanism repair: 120$
-Shampoo/steam carpeting: 60$
-3M protective film Clear Bra (for stone chips): 180$
-hi temp paint cans: 30$
-Powder coating various parts: 50$
-Fix leather toolcase buttons: 6$
-Nouvalari SuperSport Exhaust: 1400$
-New carpet retainer clips: 20$
-Ferrari seat belt cushion pads: 10$
-Brake cleaner: 7$
-New Hankook EVO tires: 910$
-Various small parts, gaskets, handle & switch holder from Ricambi: 20$
-Fuel filler guard: 30$
-New air hoses: 110$
-New 3 switch holder for top & seats: 30$
-New wiper caps: 3$
-New tonneau leather cover clip button: 15$
-fan sensors, plenum chamber gaskets & misc. parts: 200$
-new cavalino steering wheel centre emblem: 10$

Mechanic costs:
-prepare the car for inspection: 125$
-oil change: 125$
-Labor for major engine service kit: 2400$
-Other labor (fitting fabspeed, change extra parts): 600$
-Refinish clutch: 500$
-injector test: 200$
-miscellaneous costs (silicone, brake fluid, etc...): 50$
-Labor (install exhaust, remove & reinstall detailed engine parts 7 calipers, replace steering reservoir, change tires & other misc. work) 1020$

TOTAL: 29547$

So, $35k for the car plus $29.5k in work totals a wallet melting $64.5k. But a chuck of that was an color change and labor, take that lot out and some of the vanity parts (carbon this, stainless that) and loose the exhaust (but keep the headers) and your down too ‘only’ $13,500. If you had a car that didn’t need headers or already had them that takes you down another $5k and your suddenly in the not too bad category for a car of this type.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/20/13 12:31 p.m.

Owning an exotic doesn't seem like all it's cracked up to be. A neighbor has a really nice V8 Esprit that he was kind enough to take me for a ride in the other day. ("Kind" is the wrong word though. He scared the E36 M3 out of me, and I will never ride with him ever again. Passing across double yellow with blind turns and oncoming traffic kind of scary.) In return I took him for a quick ride in the S2000.

He was fighting and fumbling with his shift lever. He can't drive it more than 2000 miles in a year, or he gets hit with a big insurance bump. The transmission is a weak link. The diff was open in a car that needed LSD, and I could feel it struggle to get power down on the street.

My S2000 was more fun. It doesn't have the full-on performance of his car, but it has a solid amount for a street car. He can only fully utilize his on the track, and he did so once, but won't ever again for fear of damaging the car. My car wouldn't be intimidating for him on the track. At the end of sharing rides, I came away feeling cold about the Lotus, and he was asking about where he can look to buy an S2000 and how much to spend on one. The non-exotic was more pleasurable.

3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Yss0YSFakw4zaxEHjAd1kW7uhn39co558GGwrEdBFez4WMC4x6i8rpxfzdztHHXn