1 2 3
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/8/20 8:11 a.m.

I know JG built a crazy autocross one a few years ago in the magazine, but what I do I look for in 2020? I miss lid, stupid fast, obnoxious cars that scare children and annoy my neighbors. AMX's are stupid expensive (and honestly suck to drive) so why not a modern version? Two seats, stick shift, LS!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/8/20 8:14 a.m.

Do it. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/8/20 8:17 a.m.

A Z06 is gonna be a better all-around experience than getting a mistress.  Cheaper too.

mw
mw Dork
9/8/20 8:19 a.m.

Can you stretch the budget for a c6 z06? Still cheaper than a mistress. If not, c5 z06 is a great option

jfryjfry (Forum Supporter)
jfryjfry (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/8/20 8:22 a.m.

I think the c5z is a better value than the c6z.   Not quite as fast but 1/2 the price and you avoid some of the [potential] pit falls of the ls7

but I do love my C6z.   I got a good deal on it so they are out there

9/8/20 8:32 a.m.
mw said:

Can you stretch the budget for a c6 z06? Still cheaper than a mistress. If not, c5 z06 is a great option

Nope, not really. I have about $20k to play with and I'm tired of Mustangs. C5 can be had, C6 only in base and I'm not into those. Is do a C6 GS if I could find one in my price range.

9/8/20 8:40 a.m.
docwyte
docwyte UberDork
9/8/20 8:49 a.m.

E46 M3 or a clown shoe M coupe would be on my list for that amount...

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/8/20 8:54 a.m.

For what it's worth there's a low mileage manual C6 ZO6 listed for $21,900 if you would fly and drive... https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=520660898

9/8/20 9:16 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

surprise  oh my!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/8/20 9:17 a.m.
nderwater said:

For what it's worth there's a low mileage manual C6 ZO6 listed for $21,900 if you would fly and drive... https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=520660898

So much better than the wrapped yellow one 

9/8/20 9:27 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

The yellow one isn't wrapped anymore. The wrap had damaged some of the yellow.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/8/20 9:31 a.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Yikes 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/8/20 9:33 a.m.

Can you stretch and get a Gen III viper. Much better at baning a midlife crisis car and better at scaring children. 

STM317
STM317 UberDork
9/8/20 9:43 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
nderwater said:

So much better than the wrapped yellow one 

"Reconditioned title"

dps214
dps214 HalfDork
9/8/20 9:46 a.m.

Is it really a midlife crisis purchase if it's not financially irresponsible? Use that $20k as a down payment on a modern porsche or a C7 GS/Z06 or similar.

Though I do approve of buying the cheapest C6 Z06 in existence...it's even almost all the same color!

9/8/20 10:12 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Do it. 

I just finished reading all the articles on the GRM project one. You guys seemed to pivot from stock to an over-the-top TA car pretty quickly. Any articles from the old FRC project that might have more info?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/8/20 10:57 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe :

This.  A guy I work with has a 2004, and if you want attention and speed, it is difficult to beat.  He paid $24k for his and drives it everyday.  Hotrod guys like it, sports car guys like it, children and small pets like it!

9/8/20 11:05 a.m.
racerdave600 said:

This.  A guy I work with has a 2004, and if you want attention and speed, it is difficult to beat.  He paid $24k for his and drives it everyday.  Hotrod guys like it, sports car guys like it, children and small pets like it!

Where are these mythical Vipers whose price starts with a "2"?

ebelements
ebelements Reader
9/8/20 1:05 p.m.

Earlier this year I did just what you're thinking of doing. a 20k budget buys you a HECK of a good C5 FRC/Z06.

Mine has an LS3, cams, rebuilt trans/OS Giken diff, suspension, brakes, Sparcos, etc etc etc. Powerfully stupid, thing scares me more than my FJR1300.

Lower miles is generally a good thing, but if not, the diff/trans/torque tube will require rebuilding if the car has been tracked or has excessive wear. Aside from that, they can have ABS module issues. That said, they made a bajillion of these things so the little and not-so-little annoyances have been recognized and can be easily dealt with. 

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
9/8/20 1:09 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
mw said:

Nope, not really. I have about $20k to play with and I'm tired of Mustangs. C5 can be had, C6 only in base and I'm not into those. Is do a C6 GS if I could find one in my price range.

The grand sport C6 is really good

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/8/20 1:30 p.m.
84FSP said:
mw said:

The grand sport C6 is really good

That LS3 punches over its weight too.  With just a good set of headers and tune it'll give the LS7 (rated 505 peak hp) a run for its money.  

Edit:  OK.  maybe I left out the cam.  But you get the idea.  One does not have to resort to mega bucks and forced induction to run with the C6Z.  

BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter)
BlueInGreen - Jon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
9/8/20 2:19 p.m.
racerdave600 said:

Where are these mythical Vipers whose price starts with a "2"?

I’ll have to find out how much my friend has in his.  Got it wrecked with salvage title, fixed it, did the body kit, and paint. It’s pretty cool, much more “special” than a Corvette. Not as friendly either, so there’s that.

9/8/20 2:53 p.m.

You all are surprisingly unenthusiastic about this. Do I sell the 986 Boxster S and upgrade to a 987 Cayman S instead?

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/8/20 3:02 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

We were just discussing this moments ago, he picked his up in Kentucky from a craigslist ad.  He has a buddy that bought one locally for $18k.  It was a salvage title car but had been repaired.  His buddy is building a track car so that matters little, but it still looks good and would be difficult to pick out any issues.  You have to look, but they are there. 

My coworkers is now putting out close to 700hp without a huge cash outlay.  For instance, he picked up a set of heads recently to modify for less than $1k.  He did the mod work himself as he also drag races, but it is surprising to me how you can source parts for these as cheap as you can, if you look.  

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IGtgzLwExuzcYSxImDpN0ksuJv5sUEazX9hVrJUTwItsY3TJgJ9OTSncOjauzqqe