1 2 3 4
kazoospec
kazoospec UberDork
9/8/20 5:03 p.m.

Maybe it's a Michigan thing, but I see clean title C5 Z-06's for less than 20K all the time.  I looked at an 04 (I think), yellow, 50K miles, updated valve springs (apparently, valve float is a thing for these?), yellow, clean title.  Not a "show car", but VERY clean.  Asking was $18.5.  Pretty sure I could have driven it home for $17k (winter was coming on fast).  It was a LOT of car for that money.  Sadly, getting it into my garage would mean Mrs. Kazoo's van would have to winter in the driveway, so that was a no-go.  

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/8/20 5:47 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

You all are surprisingly unenthusiastic about this. Do I sell the 986 Boxster S and upgrade to a 987 Cayman S instead?

This explains why the prices are so low.  A lot of people in a certain socio-economic group approaching or in middle age likes to think they are "better" than a Corvette.  Chevrolet did irreparable damage to the brand by keeping it alive as a boulevard cruiser during malaise.

dean1484
dean1484 MegaDork
9/8/20 5:48 p.m.

This may sound weird but I always liked the C5 ZO6 because it was not as fast as the C6 or c7. For me it is fast enough on track or the street.

Faster cars are real work and are just not as fun to drive fast. I always thought the C5 is one of the most perfectly balanced cars between handling and acceleration and weight. The newer faster cars may be better by the numbers but to me the C5 hit the sweet spot getting the balance just right. 

And pop up headlights. :-)

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
9/8/20 5:54 p.m.
racerdave600 said:

In reply to wearymicrobe :

Hotrod guys like it, sports car guys like it, children and small pets like it!

What about bleached blonde single women half age (plus 7), do they like them?

Subscriber-unavailabile
Subscriber-unavailabile HalfDork
9/8/20 7:26 p.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
9/8/20 7:44 p.m.

SC400 with a blower and a shift kit.  And a VFR800, pre-VTEC with the gear driven cams.  Could probably do all of it with gear and a pipe on the VFR for $20k.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/8/20 7:47 p.m.

You all are surprisingly unenthusiastic about this. Do I sell the 986 Boxster S and upgrade to a 987 Cayman S instead?

As a 987 owner I can confidently tell you that no, that is not the car to scratch your particular itch. It's just not different enough from what you have now.

Flynlow (FS)
Flynlow (FS) HalfDork
9/8/20 9:33 p.m.
dean1484 said:

This may sound weird but I always liked the C5 ZO6 because it was not as fast as the C6 or c7. For me it is fast enough on track or the street.

Faster cars are real work and are just not as fun to drive fast. I always thought the C5 is one of the most perfectly balanced cars between handling and acceleration and weight. The newer faster cars may be better by the numbers but to me the C5 hit the sweet spot getting the balance just right. 

And pop up headlights. :-)

This sums it up for me.  Its about the perfect mix of good looking, fast but not "useless on the street" fast, and fun to drive for reasonable money.  And pop up headlights rule.  After 12+ years of ownership, I still toggle the switch multiple times and say "headlights go UP! headlights go DOWN! headlights go UP! headlights go DOWN!" every time I'm driving it at dusk and laugh.

I thought the C6 Z06 was an improvement on the formula when it first came out, but (to me) the styling hasn't aged as well, and the LS7 has it's own issues.  The C7 never grew on me at all.  It looks more aggressive, but it doesn't look better, if that makes sense. 

Also, Z06 Electron Blue is the best color:

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/9/20 7:07 a.m.

^ Even has one example with the side molding and one without.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 8:56 a.m.

Wow that celica looks downright disgusting, next to the vettes

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/9/20 12:08 p.m.

This could be you if you want it to be!

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
9/9/20 2:10 p.m.
ebelements said:

Powerfully stupid, thing scares me more than my FJR1300.

Having owned an FJR1300, that's quite the scary ride!

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
9/9/20 2:18 p.m.

Since you already have the Porsche, I'd suggest a mistress, but the C5 will have better resale value. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ Dork
9/9/20 2:51 p.m.

In reply to pres589 (djronnebaum) :

I kept waiting for some scary head to pop up and startle me.  Remember those?  

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/9/20 4:53 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

No, they are waiting for the next Mercedes to show up.  devil

pres589 (djronnebaum)
9/9/20 5:34 p.m.

In reply to A 401 CJ :

Uh, kind of?  Need to find a video of an SC400 with a supercharger and a decent exhaust next.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/9/20 10:59 p.m.

I test drove a stock C5Z today. Engine is fun, shifter is crappy, the interior is so much garbage.

While I personally think that the looks aged well, sitting in between a new S5 and a GT350 made it look a bit homely and soft.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/9/20 11:02 p.m.

Engine is fun, shifter is crappy, the interior is so much garbage.

Aaaaah good old GM ..... never disappoints 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/9/20 11:59 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Seriously. Absence has made me soft on GM, but that interior is literal garbage. This was a creampuff sub-50K mile car, you know the kind that are kept stone cold stock down to the tires and hand waxed, and nearly everything creaked, groaned, or was cracked or broken in some way. The key fob were identical to my old 98 Grand Prix and the seats were a thinner version of the ones in my 96 Camaro. The radio matched my 92 Sunbird...

jv8
jv8 Reader
9/10/20 5:10 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:  that interior is literal garbage. This was a creampuff sub-50K mile car, you know the kind that are kept stone cold stock down to the tires and hand waxed, and nearly everything creaked, groaned, or was cracked or broken in some way. The key fob were identical to my old 98 Grand Prix and the seats were a thinner version of the ones in my 96 Camaro. The radio matched my 92 Sunbird...

I agree... but I appreciate this as part of what allowed me to buy a great track car for $15K.  I had thought about an LS swap into something that handles and has a nicer interior... but decided it was easier to address the interior of the C5Z.

Seats were quickly replaced with my favorite racing seats.  Creaky touch points (dead pedal, center console, etc) were removed and modified with felt or whatever it took to stop the noise.  My shifter had already been replaced by the previous owner and I have no issues with it.  I added a carpeted divider to isolate the rear cargo area and stop highway drone.

Haven't bothered with the radio... but plenty of options there.  Any broken plastic bits were easy to find and replace.  I guess I don't care about key fobs.

All in all it was trivial compared to an LS swap into a Miata/BRZ/etc.

Regarding the rest of the car - parts are so cheap and available.  Upgrades from the C6Z just bolt on (I'm running 14" front rotors that are $50 each).

Tires are expensive.

My only complaint is drivetrain maintenance.  I need to refresh the diff/trans seals, torque tube couplers, and clutch.  So I have to drop the entire rear subframe, trans, and TT.  Trying to get access to a two post lift...  might do it on jack stands but I don't really have the garage space to do it comfortably.  All other suspension/brake/engine work has been easy.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/10/20 9:12 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Seriously. Absence has made me soft on GM, but that interior is literal garbage. This was a creampuff sub-50K mile car, you know the kind that are kept stone cold stock down to the tires and hand waxed, and nearly everything creaked, groaned, or was cracked or broken in some way. The key fob were identical to my old 98 Grand Prix and the seats were a thinner version of the ones in my 96 Camaro. The radio matched my 92 Sunbird...

Yup. I believe you.

For last 25 years I have been hearing , "GM finally caught up to everyone else, and THIS (insert model xxxx), is now on par," only to find it a few years later turn into garbage. 

the LS motors are great, but the rest of the product keep me from owning GM. No thanks! 

I don't blame you. I would do the same and wLk away. I love the z06, but not enough to put up with such subpar build quality. 

captainawesome
captainawesome HalfDork
9/10/20 9:16 a.m.

Interior is what killed me on them too. A buddy bought a well used example earlier this year to start using as a track car. While it is a great track car, I think I'll stick with my modded FRS. It's more comfortable, fairly capable, and has less buggy/fiddly issues. Obviously that's an age thing, but still. Next year I planned to look for the nicest c5 z06 I could find, but honestly it's just not what I thought it would be. Also like mentioned, tires. I'll stick with 245s thank you very much.

racerdave600
racerdave600 UltraDork
9/10/20 10:49 a.m.

Same here on the interior.  Every time I see one and think, wow, that would be a nice, I look at one and am immediately turned off.  The interior is a let down.  Since you spend most of your time sitting in a car it is good if you enjoy it.  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
9/10/20 10:56 a.m.

The C6 is a little nicer on the inside than the C5. My dad picked up a 2010 C6 convertible last year, and I've driven it a few times. It's not the greatest interior ever, but not really terrible. I couldn't find anything really wrong with it other than it was a 10 year old car. No rattles or squeaks or anything like that. I like the looks of the C5 better, but if you are bothered by the C5's interior that much, try a C6.

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
9/10/20 10:56 a.m.

Maybe the answer is an LS swap for the Boxster S and sell your running motor? I know that will screw with your autocross category but who cares if its making loud V8 noises while burning off rear tires. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1Pww6y0zJbkRt2ZTf9wNu55yQfAqwT9Gl5iGugoWYBwRXX2Ya8irqU7YzIdawoaJ