JRGunfighter_John
JRGunfighter_John New Reader
8/6/20 10:47 a.m.

Mighty Car Mods has over 3 million subscribers and recently did a video on the basic equipment you need for your first track day.  

What would you add for your FIRST track day, and why?

Found this old thread from 2011 as well:

GRM First Track Day thread (2011)

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/6/20 10:49 a.m.

Water. Lots of drinking water. 

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/6/20 10:59 a.m.

I would add an ipad so I can download and watch every one of *checks thread title* Mighty Car Mod's videos during the track event!

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/6/20 11:26 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

Water. Lots of drinking water. 

Banana's make a good snack as well, as do apples and peanut butter. I also always take sandwich stuff and red bull, along with tons of water. IF the track has a cafe, like Hallett for example, I can't have have french fries and cheeseburger for lunch or I'm just lethargic for the afternoon sessions. 

Car prep for beginners. Make sure the car is in good working order, I'd opt for fresh fluids in the engine/trans/diff, but not necessary. Give the brakes a good flush with quality fluid, pads...........GO!

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/6/20 12:14 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

And leave the ego at home, ideally.

Dave M (Forum Supporter)
Dave M (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
8/6/20 12:38 p.m.

Shade! Bring shade.

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/8/20 9:39 a.m.

Not watched the video yet,and Ive only done one day, but I didnt need hardly anything.

I took a ryobi inflator like I can see in their still image above, as well a bunch of tools and stuff...never needed any of it.

WATER was needed though. And snacks between sessions. And a chair to sit in when youre not in the car

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/8/20 9:50 a.m.

If this is a first track day leave the tool box and jack at home, they're a distraction you don't need. Water, snacks, sunscreen, air pressure gauge, extra oil and coolant, and torque wrench w/socket to fit your lugs is all you need.

If it's truly your first track day there's no reason to be messing with anything under the car.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
8/8/20 9:51 a.m.

Sunscreen, a change of clothes (for the ride home, sweat sucks), water, a wide brimmed hat, I prefer a body ball to use as a chair versus a chair, air compressor or cheddah tank, tire pressure gauge, pyrometer is a plus, excuses. 

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
8/8/20 11:47 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

Sunscreen, a change of clothes (for the ride home, sweat sucks), water, a wide brimmed hat, I prefer a body ball to use as a chair versus a chair, air compressor or cheddah tank, tire pressure gauge, pyrometer is a plus, excuses. 

Plus 1000 on the excuses!

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/8/20 12:00 p.m.

Definitely a closed-face helmet.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Reader
8/8/20 7:51 p.m.
MrFancypants said:

If this is a first track day leave the tool box and jack at home, they're a distraction you don't need. Water, snacks, sunscreen, air pressure gauge, extra oil and coolant, and torque wrench w/socket to fit your lugs is all you need.

If it's truly your first track day there's no reason to be messing with anything under the car.

So leave the box, just make sure to bring the tools? 

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) UberDork
8/8/20 10:42 p.m.
Olemiss540 said:
MrFancypants said:

Depends on how new the car is.  If it's something reliable you probably don't need to bring any more tools than are required to change a flat tire.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
8/8/20 10:57 p.m.

Don't do a first track day. You'll catch the bug, and pretty soon you will sell all your stuff so you can afford a trailer you can sleep in at the track, and you won't have any friends who don't have brake dust permanently imbedded in their skin. You'll be so busy keeping your car, tow vehicle and trailer working properly that your daily will fall into disrepair. You won't have time or money to buy groceries, and your girlfriend will continually be mad at you. You'll get tired of paying for whole seasons of track time, but you're fairly experienced at this point, so you can instruct. Then you'll get burned out on driving around race tracks, because instructing takes effort. Now you're broke, tired and your SO is annoyed with you, and what do you have to show for it? You went faster than 1:50 at Mid Ohio a couple times? That's not even that fast.

I recommend you make friends with somebody who brought shade, or better yet, an air conditioned trailer. Also write your track schedule on your wristband, so you know when your sessions are.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
8/9/20 10:16 a.m.
codrus (Forum Supporter) said:
Olemiss540 said:
MrFancypants said:

Depends on how new the car is.  If it's something reliable you probably don't need to bring any more tools than are required to change a flat tire.

I run an 11 year old turbo Volkswagen that has 141k miles on it. Not something that most would consider reliable, but it's well maintained. I'm well beyond my first track day and even with my older, less reliable car I don't see the point in carrying a bunch of extra tools with me.

At first track events people are usually still learning the basics of track etiquette, flags, lines, braking points, how to safely pass and be passed, etc. so a car that you trust to not die on a trip to pick up groceries will do because they're not really going to be pushing their cars all that hard.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iWmzapI8UWbdeLTNQ76awNSyR42NzYKNUH7XBVqwlTiPO7tLThIP4GImqBCA0Rg0