racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/12/12 1:53 p.m.

I've determined that my '06 Cooper S is a little weak in the motor mount department. It feels a lot like my old A2 Jetta in fact. Has anyone here replaced theirs with aftermarket versions? If so, which ones and did you like them?

There appears to be several options here, and I definitely want to firm things up a bit. Hopefully it will improve the shifting also.

Thanks!

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
3/12/12 2:03 p.m.

2 things.

1. The passenger side motor mount is hydraulic (liquid filled) and fails often. I've gone through 4 on our in regular driving over 84k miles.

2. The lower rear mount shares a similar problem as the old A1, A2 mounts in that they are too soft for sporting use resulting in a decent amount of motor movement. There are a few options there depending on how much NVH you are willing to tolerate. Way Motor Works is the shop you want to speak with regarding that. He will tell it like it is and lead you to the best product for your needs. He is also an advertiser in GRM now. :) http://www.waymotorworks.com/02-06-cooper-s-r53/

heyduard
heyduard Reader
3/12/12 4:38 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote: Hopefully it will improve the shifting also.

Though it's not related to the motor mounts, I find a weighted shift knob (mine's a Whalen) makes a difference in shifting for the better. The shifts are smoother. It's heavier than the stock knob. I'd like to call it functional bling.

drmike
drmike Reader
3/12/12 5:20 p.m.

WMW motor mount link

A guy I know designed the one linked above. AFAIK it's helped a lot of people get out of the cycle of replacing popped OEM motor mounts every 20K miles or so.

Not a canoe, I do not profit from the sale of this part, blah blah blah.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
3/13/12 8:02 a.m.

Thanks for the input! Funny that you have linked to those guys, as that was the one I was already considering. It drives me crazy how much the engine rocks. It appears my filled mount is still filled, but on the whole, the engine movement is way too much for my liking.

So far, that and the insanely heavy flywheel are the only issues I have with the car. In the month I've had it it's been a great daily driver.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ioEccbM42Ylsai2rHWWsxLYAUOyY2MtxEJWuGHIc8Oc8WodKwn1962WNh84VsAnn