3 4 5 6 7
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/5/20 9:17 p.m.

This is as far as I got. Two weeks just not enough time anymore. Still need to find some objects for detail like CB radio, a gun or two, more lights, etc.

I flipped the rear axle to raise the back for tire clearance (super swampers FTW). 

Front bumper, warn winch, and skid plate from Jeep. Need to trim the plate as it rides to close to the ground even with the beefie tires. Couldn't find an easy way to raise the front realistically in the time I had.

7/5/20 9:21 p.m.

Oh yeah, wait until you get the backstory about the car and why it exists! Haha

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/5/20 9:22 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Dude, that is sharp!!

7/5/20 9:24 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Dude, I can't wait to see that one done! Also, waiting impatiently for the back story!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/5/20 11:26 p.m.

That Corvair looks sharp.

I love the Pinto too. Looks like it will be awesome when it's done.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/6/20 4:13 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

Wow! Beautiful!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/6/20 6:17 a.m.

If someone is just getting (back) into kits I probably wouldn't push them toward a Tamiya simply because the cost is notably higher. The domestic choices are cheaper and less complex. The only issue is getting one made from 1960s tooling with poor detail and few parts (the AMT Ranchero and MPC 73 Mustang are good examples). Not that a fella can't make a decent looking model out of them but better molds = better finished models.

I'd figure out what kind of car or truck interests you and then use the Scalemates site to drill down to what is available. Their timelines are extrememly useful in tracking a model back to see when it was first released. I'd want to get something with 'new tooling' in the 1990s or newer if possible.

I think recent Revell kits are extremely good. In the 1980s/1990s I was a big fan of Monogram as their stuff just went together really easy and the details were pretty good. Downside seemed to be they only let you build it one way vs the 3-in-1 kits other brands offered. AMT was probably 'average' with a lot of their tooling being older. I've never thought much of MPC's offerings though some like the '67 GTO aren't at all bad.

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/6/20 6:18 a.m.

Thanks guys! smiley

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/6/20 6:18 a.m.

Hey Slowbird, tell me about that Lindberg Mustang kit your F150 is perched on top of. smiley

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/6/20 6:24 a.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Shoot... even the new domestic kits are $25-$35 now, but I agree. That's certainly part of the reason I don't buy as many kits anymore. The days of $10 kits are gone. :( 

Good info about the other brand kits as well. I too liked the 90s Monogram kits (and their NASCAR kits) as the best of the rest. They had some cool off the wall stuff in the late 80s/early 90s as well (Grand Prix comes to mind.) I have a Super Coupe to build soon in my stash. Also appreciated that they are 1/24 where AMT and others were often 1/25. I also liked the old Johan kits for some cool subjects as well, and built most of those as a kid, but they're all crazy expensive these days too. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/6/20 12:41 p.m.

In reply to ddavidv :

Oh that's a bit of an odd one. Apparently it's an old Palmer tool. The included grill kinda makes it look like a race car to me, so I thought I'd turn it into a short tracker with the help of some aftermarket parts. I'm not going to do anything about the simplified underside, just gonna open up the axle holes and wheelwells and get the stance right,swap the blower for a regular 4barrel carb, and cut out the back seat, and call it a racecar. laugh 

7/7/20 12:00 p.m.

Results!

Claff took apart a 1958 Chevrolet Impala:

BenB did a Triumph TR-7:

Benswen started a Toyota Soarer:

Javelin finished a Challenger:

TurnerX19 finished a long-time project Brabham:

Wally finished a dazzle Sting Ray:

slowbird finished an F-150:

Saron81 finished an awesome Yenko Stinger:

vwcorvette got really close on his Pinto Ridge Runner:

Thank you all so much for participating! I thought it was a lighter turnout, but the recap shows me that we are still making a good number of really amazing models. Great work! Prizes in the next post.

7/7/20 12:29 p.m.

Okay, I opened up the vault and found a good selection to pick from. There's a Revell 69 Corvette ZL1, a Monogram 65 Mustang fastback, a Tamiya Eunos Roadster (NA), a Tamiya Mazda Savannah RX-7 Cabrio (Turbo II), a Revell 57 Bel Air sedan 2-in-1, and a Revell AAR 'Cuda.

Looks like we had 9 entries so I'll take me out and roll 3 times. Drum roll please...

First pick goes to 7, so Saron81 you get to pick the first kit.

Second roll is 5, so Wally you are up next.

Final roll is 3, so Benswen gets third pick.

Great work everyone, thanks for playing. Looks like we are taking at least a week off because nobody picked up this week. Anybody want to host next?

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
7/7/20 3:54 p.m.

Sweet! Thanks!!! 
Let me touch base with my daughter and let her choose... she's been asking me to buy her one to build with me, and this is a great opportunity to do that! 

7/7/20 9:43 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

What scale is that roll cage?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/7/20 11:49 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Supposedly 1/25th scale, but the bars look plenty thick enough to work for 1/24th as well. They might be too thick, even, but close enough for me.

Edit: found a ruler, it's just over 2mm thick which converts to right around 2 scale inches thick or just over that.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/8/20 7:13 p.m.

She likes pop up headlights, lol so she had some choices, but picked the RX7. 
Let me know if I can throw you a few bucks for shipping. I'd volunteer to host the next round, but don't have much to give for prizes. 

7/8/20 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

RX7 it is! PM me your address.

7/8/20 8:19 p.m.

Wally, you're up

Claff
Claff Reader
7/9/20 12:09 a.m.

My Chevy shouldn't even be included in the wrap-up. I got off to a late start, dragged my feet doing anything and then realized I was going out of town on Wednesday before the 4th so I lost most of the second week of the build. As a result, the '58 is pretty much how I found it. I guess the good news is that I'm ready for the next time the theme comes around to "unfinished business." I'll be back but it probably won't be until cold weather returns just because there's a lot do be done outdoors this time of year.

Saron81
Saron81 HalfDork
7/9/20 6:35 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Saron81 :

Pm bounced back undeliverable.... I think because of my yahoo mail addresss.

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/9/20 8:33 a.m.

What's next?!

7/9/20 8:41 a.m.
Saron81 said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Saron81 :

Pm bounced back undeliverable.... I think because of my yahoo mail addresss.

Edit - received!

7/9/20 6:00 p.m.

Progress. The end is near. Could use more equipment.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/9/20 6:14 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I'm going to pass, I'm drowning in kits I'll never get to. 

The Pinto looks good, like one of those sand hillclimb racers. 

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rHsX4iM4SajwjVRTwPDqK4WatL4oIxmZQUP5fHGQ2jkC7bX98B2C2oXyCvVPv7ML