1 2 3
TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 8:56 a.m.

As posted in Javelin's thread here we go with a thread for round 2. I am not going to post ongoing construction photos of my build unless someone here can guess what it is. Here is one big hint. I have most of a sheet of Bare Metal foil that I won't be using anymore fore detail work since I got Molotow chrome pens.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/19/20 9:11 a.m.

DeLorean?

Yelo
Yelo New Reader
4/19/20 9:14 a.m.

I'm building a 2020 corona virus universal race car....

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/19/20 9:25 a.m.

I have a GMC cab over I'm going to put together for this one.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 10:10 a.m.

In reply to EvanB (Forum Supporter) :

Nope. Right general idea though.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/19/20 10:14 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

Nope. Right general idea though.

Yeah, my mind went there, too. So if it's usually silver and not a DeLorean....

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
4/19/20 10:25 a.m.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 11:40 a.m.

Been there, done that! About 30 years ago with a 1/32 Matchbox plastic kit. It is a little too shiney, tha real cars were painted. Nice kit except the wheels.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/19/20 11:44 a.m.

I was waffling on what kit to build next. I have a lot of unbuilt models but not a lot that are suitable for quick builds. I considered an Indycar, but I've never built one and I think I ought to take my time on the first one of those I do. So, here's one I think I can handle. Apparently I painted a few engine pieces years ago, but no assembly has been done yet.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
4/19/20 11:52 a.m.
slowbird said:

I was waffling on what kit to build next. I have a lot of unbuilt models but not a lot that are suitable for quick builds. I considered an Indycar, but I've never built one and I think I ought to take my time on the first one of those I do. So, here's one I think I can handle. Apparently I painted a few engine pieces years ago, but no assembly has been done yet.

SVO Foxbody Mustang?  Nice.

And I have an interior.

I painted that with hobby acrylics and learned a few things.  1) Coverage is poor.  It took multiple coats to cover the red plastic.  And don't try to recover wet paint. 2) Dries fast.  You can add the second coat 10 minuets after painting. 3) Cleans up easy with soap and water. 4) Don't handle painted parts with hands unless sealed with clear.  Skin oils, sweat and moisture will cause dry paint to smudge. 5) As with all paints, finish what you are doing and WALK AWAY FROM IT!  Don't fiddle with that spot or just add one more touch.  It will lead to ruin.

EvanB (Forum Supporter)
4/19/20 12:08 p.m.

I've got it!

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/19/20 12:27 p.m.

Either that, or the chrome Chevy trucks from the 1996 Olympics.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 12:27 p.m.

I wish, That is so cool. No real prototype for what I am doing that I know of, but it is very possible and far more common than the Auto Union or the Spirit of Lemons.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 12:28 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

No on may levels!

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/19/20 1:02 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I had to get another model local but came as a set with an old vw golf or a rally Porsche. 

they both look as complicated as the brat so I guess it's a toss up as I'm still at work full time so only have the odd night to move it along. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 1:51 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I have an MPC Mustang SVO on my shelf. I think I bought it to scavenge the engine for the Tamiya Sierra, to make a Merkur, but I built the V6 instead. Why the '57 Chevy dash for the interior?

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/19/20 4:15 p.m.

Well going to try the vw golf hope it turns out awesome!

maybe an orange paint theme this time?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
4/19/20 5:08 p.m.

In reply to Kanek :

Shame the body is molded in black. You need light gray or white primer if going orange, hell any color really. Only molded in red is worse. What brand kit is this?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
4/19/20 5:15 p.m.

That better be a harlequin when you are done...

Kanek
Kanek New Reader
4/19/20 5:36 p.m.

TurnerX19 :

I figured same white primer as I used for the last kit would turn out fine. 

Chandler:

yeah not sure my masking or brush skills are really up to par for that one

Benswen
Benswen New Reader
4/19/20 7:14 p.m.

I'm in.  Continuing with the concept car theme from my first one, I'll be building a Revell Pontiac Banshee.  Might get a wheel swap, but otherwise box-stock.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
4/19/20 8:17 p.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to slowbird :

I have an MPC Mustang SVO on my shelf. I think I bought it to scavenge the engine for the Tamiya Sierra, to make a Merkur, but I built the V6 instead. Why the '57 Chevy dash for the interior?

I mixed two pictures in my post, I liked the SVO that Slowbird is building and the interior is for my own build.

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/19/20 8:18 p.m.

Model cars are funny sometimes. Where's the alternator? Oh it's on the chrome sprue. This ain't a Boyd Coddington style hot rod, ain't no chrome alternator going on this car. Where's the front cover for the engine? Chrome sprue, but it says paint it aluminum. Why'd you chrome it then? Oh and this picture of the real car says it's black not aluminum, lol.

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
4/19/20 8:23 p.m.
Kanek said:

TurnerX19 :

I figured same white primer as I used for the last kit would turn out fine. 

Chandler:

yeah not sure my masking or brush skills are really up to par for that one

Sure they are.  You have body lines (door opening and such) to tape along.  You just have to find the three colors.  I went with the Harlequin theme for my $10 TV stand.  Of course the TV stand was much bigger.  lol

slowbird
slowbird Dork
4/20/20 12:01 a.m.

Some things just annoy me. Hood scoops that aren't functional, for example. Well, the SVO scoop *is* functional, but the kit has a solid hood with no opening. There's a black decal to simulate the appearance of it being open, but that's no fun. So, bust out the tiny drill bit and open that thing up.

Repeat until the opening has several holes in, leaving room to wiggle a hobby knife in there and cut it open fully. Then wiggle some sanding sticks or tiny files or whatever ya got in there, maybe jam some folded sandpaper in there, and boom. Functional hood scoop.

Maybe not prize-winning perfect, but good enough for me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kasyEK7Bh47fWL0IXMdT3rmGpmhmHfnuppQWu4ge0xQvtYeb63GlqEUpVALrBHlB