2 3 4 5 6
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/25/20 3:01 p.m.

The transmission is in! 

Realistic looking enough from the bottom.

Firewall is in as well.

The roll cage is kicking my butt. I think I need to pause on it anyway to get the seat in and add the other jazz. Probably ought to paint some stuff, too.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
5/25/20 5:35 p.m.

So after trying numerous things in my head and a limited pallette of kitsbto chose from (four Corvettes and two VWs) I won't be contributing to this build. I'm going to try and finish the blue 69 from the first build. Wish me luck. Keep up the good work people.

5/25/20 5:51 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

Isn't the blue 69 already an engine swap? All the scratchwork you have in that is totally what fits this build anyway.

5/25/20 7:15 p.m.

I think I have the final ride height set.

5/25/20 9:45 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

Technically it's a chassis swap.

5/25/20 9:46 p.m.

Okay, there's been a lot of fiddling, but I think I'm making some real progress. I built front downtubes out of sprue, got the rear uprights figured out for the roll cage, started the upper part, and figured out seat and dash placement.

Then I switched gears and worked on the engine. I got the midplate mounted to the block and a front mount figured out. So there's an engine swapped again finally!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/25/20 10:44 p.m.
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Works for me! laugh

In Ranger news: building a roll cage from scratch is hard, especially when you stubbornly refuse to measure things properly, like me. Main hoop and one crossbar gluing together now.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King PowerDork
5/26/20 8:11 a.m.

Finally got the floor done in the living and dining rooms so I should have time to get back to the TA.  I am not going to do any swapping, though I am going to use the turbo motor opton in the kit.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
5/26/20 9:49 a.m.
slowbird said:
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) said:

Works for me! laugh

In Ranger news: building a roll cage from scratch is hard, especially when you stubbornly refuse to measure things properly, like me. Main hoop and one crossbar gluing together now.

Make sure those (glue) welds have decent penetration or it won't pass tech!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/26/20 10:00 a.m.

Yeah you guys are really killing it on this one; my new 1:1 scale project has kinda taken energy away from the 1:24 scale projects, but I decided to cheat the system a bit and build the Blue Bandito kit, which comes with a non-stock engine. I'll try to finish it on time and submit it, but it's kind of a cop-out in comparison to what everyone else is doing. 

I decided to go with GOLD - which turned out a little different because the truck was molded in blue. The paint also turned out a little matte, I think due to the humidity yesterday. Hopefully the clear coat will give it some shine. This is a super simple but well done kit; it'll be a good one to bang out quickly. 

I also want to thank vwcorvette for the hilarious and well-done boxing of the 77' van kit he sent me from last round. My wife and I had some good laughs at all this. Once again, GRM has to be one of the best communities on the internet. I hope you don't mind me sharing this with the group; I blocked out the addresses with water bottles.

If all sides of the box weren't enough - the comedy continued to the inside. 

Genius. I love it. I'm actually pretty exicted to build the Van too - I think I found some aluminum slot-mags that will be sweet on it. 

5/26/20 10:29 a.m.

In reply to Gunchsta :

Berking EPIC! Love all the decorations from vwcorvette. The rod isn't a cop out at all, looks like a cool build!

5/26/20 10:30 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

Finally got the floor done in the living and dining rooms so I should have time to get back to the TA.  I am not going to do any swapping, though I am going to use the turbo motor opton in the kit.

Woohoo! Remember it's "motor madness" not "engine swaps", so just make that Turbo 301 look amazing. Glad to have you back!

noddaz
noddaz UltraDork
5/26/20 6:23 p.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:
Aaron_King said:

Woohoo! Remember it's "motor madness" not "engine swaps", so just make that Turbo 301 look amazing. Glad to have you back!

Javelin, you made my heart stop for just a second.

But I went back and read the first page. 

Engine swaps are highly encouraged (though not required) and feel free to think outside the box on this, in more ways than one.

*whew*

Carry on.  You guys are going all out on this.  I don't have anything for you all.  But I will keep working.

Scott

Claff
Claff Reader
5/27/20 12:47 a.m.

Seems like I'm moving in little dribs and drabs here. But every time I look at what's been done and what needs to be done, it's not that much. So I took the weekend off. Went back to the kitchen today and sanded the body down so I can shoot color on it very soon, perhaps even tomorrow.

I put the wheels on the chassis and installed the driveshaft. There's not much else to do there until the interior tub is going on so I can figure out how to build an inner firewall to keep the engine out of the passenger space. Speaking of the interior, I started on the two-tone on the seats and door panels. The door panels are actually three-toned, as the coral is trimmed with both black and white if the 1:1 car I found on the Mecum Auction site is to be believed.

Speaking of the 1:1 car, I was looking at interior pictures of that car and was surprised to see the steering column and steering wheel are both black and not coral. Of course I don't realize this till after I sprayed both parts coral and glued them together. Mulling over leaving them as is (the car is a custom, after all) for now. I also realize that the inspiration for my car has a black carpet, and I'm considering changing mine to reflect that.

We sit here to wrap up the night. I decided to mask off the roof since that'll be white and I don't think I want to put any more paint on the body than I have to. Looking at the parts that still have to go on the car, I realize that I'm going to need that extra build week just to deal with all the chrome on the body.

5/27/20 1:45 p.m.

Doing some mock up. There's a lot of stuff to fit in this tiny car...

5/27/20 8:59 p.m.

Progress. I made hinges that allow the doors to open like the real thing instead of swing out like on toys.

5/27/20 9:08 p.m.

I put the chassis in primer today.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/27/20 10:43 p.m.

Last chance to view the Healey's headers un-fettered by the chassis. Tomorrow I will post pics of the installed engine and the chassis growing around it. I would hate to have to get the headers off the engine wth it installed, and in full size they would never clear the welded on cowl braces during installation.

5/27/20 11:03 p.m.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

You picked like the world's most difficult regular-opening doors, too. Those shapes are tough! It's looking great!

Claff
Claff Reader
5/28/20 12:33 a.m.

It's paint day! This means transforming a fun 1:1 car into a prop for a 1:24 car spray booth

I put three coats of color on, same as what I put on the interior. Hopefully they wind up matching-ish. I made sure I got the rocker panels evenly, since those wound up being pretty thin on the El Camino.

At first blush, the color is even and doesn't have any glaring goofs. I think it could be shinier so I'll research polishes or whatever can be done to really make this sparkle, but overall I'm happy with the effort. Hopefully I won't ruin it completing the model.

Aside from color, not much else happened here. I made some progress on the repaired firewall and I think it'll be OK when all is said and done (doesn't hurt that it'll mostly be overshadowed by the engine itself). I put some black on the door panels and put a second coat of white on the front seats. The interior can now go get the semi-gloss clear to make it a little more interiory and then it can get assembled, and we're one big step closer to putting big things together.

5/28/20 7:42 a.m.

I know this is out of order but here are the hinges. There are more things made from paperclips on this model then I've ever used in my life!

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/28/20 5:13 p.m.

Holy crap, we're a week and a half into this build. I gotta start making more progress. The front dress of the engine doesn't quite fit when the engine is as low as I had it, so I'm propping it up a bit with some crappy custom engine mounts. I also cut off the molded-on steering thingy, planning to attach it at an angle so it's slightly more believable for the non-existent steering rod to fit through there. Then I realized that's dumb, I should just make a steering rod so I can be sure it would fit. Better do that before I build the custom headers, huh. Time to google what steering systems look like.

I'm still futzing around trying to force my wonky cage into shape as well.

Also, everyone make sure you check out the contents of the new GRM issue if you haven't already. laugh

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/28/20 9:05 p.m.

Engine installed and body painted photos of the Healey taken tonight. Paint is a home mix of Tamiya to try to get "Florida Green" as shown on forum member Dougie's racing Healey. White 50%, park green30% sky blue 20%. numbers approximate. It looks closer to my eye than it does in these photos. Two coats airbrushed 3 days apart with a sanding in 2000 grit between. Will get more sanding/polishing when it hardens a few more days. Two visible and one hidden U joints are necessary to get the steering column past the engine. Apex style with red rubber booties, cause they're easier to model!

Gunchsta
Gunchsta HalfDork
5/29/20 8:34 a.m.

Progress is slow. The body is painted and cleared, so I set it on the wheels & tires for some motivation. I need to decide on an interior color, currently thinking White but we'll see. 

5/29/20 8:53 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

I love the color!

2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ukitK6xwcQALqGZoqrkSRlistgDKDBJPJp97oWXycvWc2oWyOedpMQH96jqRMXbg