3 4 5 6 7
BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/29/20 10:28 a.m.

Y'all are doing some outstanding work!

I haven't felt up to doing much modeling this week, but I finally managed to build the engine for the Toyota 88C-V. I've found that detail painting like the raised TOYOTA lettering is best painted before you have your morning coffee. 

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/29/20 3:32 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

I do too, but it is polarizing. Many people hate it, and BMC dropped it from the Healey pallete for 1960. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
5/29/20 3:46 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Put me down as one of those who likes it. I wouldn't want a Miata that color but it really works on a Healey.

ebelements
ebelements Reader
5/29/20 3:51 p.m.

Maaaaaan this thread is getting me all fired up to get back into 1:24 builds, which I haven't really done since I was a kid. That said, about a year ago I embarked on sourcing model kits of every car that meant something to me in my youth, so I have plenty to work with. Might have to jump in on the next go round—I even ordered styrene sheet so I'll be ready!

Until then, I'll be soaking up all the tips/tricks you're all sharing. Keep up the good work gents.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/29/20 3:53 p.m.

That's a beautiful color on the Healey. I dig the gold pickup, and that Toyota engine is super cool.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/30/20 7:52 p.m.

One week to go! I'm starting to worry I won't even finish my own build challenge...that would be such a me thing to do.

Roll cage is done, save for the rear bars which will have to go in after the body and frame are attached. It's not symmetrical and I'm not sure it would pass tech, but it's close enough for me.

It's been fiddly to get everything fitting where I want it, but it's coming together. Still need to scratch build an intake tube and a long radiator hose from the back of the engine around the side and up to the front. (I've had to do research on SHO swaps into RWD cars and how they deal with this.)

Also need to make custom headers that dump to straight pipes. I have one partway put together that will work, although it looks like it was designed by someone who has never seen an exhaust header before and only knew what it was from a vague description. And then I'll have to start getting paint on things. I think I've decided on blue with gray interior and a blue cage, which should be tricky because I accidentally got glue between the dashboard and the roll cage and I can't get them apart now.

Claff
Claff Reader
5/30/20 10:27 p.m.

Not that long ago I thought three weeks would be plenty of time, maybe too much time, and I'd be done way early. That's not going to happen, but I still think I'll be done in time. Longest delays are in waiting for paint to dry. Well, that and procrastination.

I put down flattening clear on the interior. It's the same brand and model line as the coral spray paint, so what could go wrong? Oh yeah, it might not agree with the model paint I used for the white trim on the seats.

Thanks to chemistry or dumb luck, it dried OK and I don't really need to address it.

Today I bit the bullet and shot the roof. In the past, I almost exclusively brush-painted bodies. When I did spray-paint them, I did not do two-tone schemes. I was concerned with two things: an inadequate masking job that allows white paint to wind up where it shouldn't, and coral paint pulling up when I unmask everything.

The white paint was one of those 25+ year old Testors spray cans. I did a test run with it on a castoff model body and while a little spattery, it did lead to a smooth coat if not a little on the thick side. It did the same on the Ford, and it seems like it did OK at first blush. I don't even want to look at it for a couple days just to let it dry completely without any interference.

We're on the verge of final assembly. The interior trim is all painted and drying, so that can go together in the next day or two. Eventually I'll see how the body came out of paint and we'll see if I put together a spectacular coral/white car or a flat black car.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
5/31/20 11:36 a.m.

Work stalled for a few days, but I'm back at it hard now. Painting the details in the bowels of the chassis:

And working on making the 4-rotor look like a billet Mazda based unit:

5/31/20 1:08 p.m.

Also, the interlude was to figure some digital stuff out:

So that I could print what my parts box didn't have:

And voila!

Claff
Claff Reader
5/31/20 8:36 p.m.

We have a bit of a good news-bad news situation with the roof painting. Overall the white paint came out pretty nicely. No runs even though I thought it went on a bit thick. But it's a little thin on the rear corners. Can't do much about that now so I'll just live with it.

That's the good news. The bad news is that I masked it with newsprint, and it left some staining on the coral paint around some hard edges, like atop the front fenders, the top of the taillight housings, and the rear quarters. I don't know how easily that'll clean up or with what, so I'm open to suggestions.

Other than that, work progresses. The interior is half-assembled, with the dashboard and firewall still needing to go on.

We are certainly winding down, and should be in good shape for Saturday's deadline.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/31/20 8:58 p.m.

Lots of time spent on little details for the Healey, with little to picture. Most notably all of the exhaust components are finished and all but the tail pipes are installed. They need to wait until the body is permanent. It has been on and off 3 times so far.....Also the spare tire cover is made, from the 5th wheel in the kit, some bondo, and a piece of wire for the upholstery bead. The exposed battery in the kit is getting a matching cover job. When Healeys were new they came with sturdy, soft, always black covers to protect whatever little luggage you could fit in there besides the tire and battery. Since this is a custom car already, the trunk will be upholstered to match the interior. The glue was still wet on the bead when I took the pic.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
5/31/20 9:17 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

What brand is the coral spray? That would determine how I would approach removing the ink stain, and how long I would wait before I tried. I often paint with real automotive acrylic lacquer, and it could be attacked with compound a day after painting, but probably would not have picked up the stain. Tamiya paint will pick up a stain like that at least two weeks out from painting. So will most any alkyd enamel that is not fully hardened. Both of those should not be compound buffed for at least 4 weeks. There is some possibility that the stain has penetrated quite far into the coral, but there is no way to tell until you try to buff it out. I would not try any type solvent.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
5/31/20 11:52 p.m.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

You're only increasing my urge to buy a 3d printer. laugh

Scratchbuilding! In order to hide the ugly area where the passenger seat is supposed to clip into the interior tub, I'm going to put a big fire extinguisher there. I cobbled this together from various bits of plastic, including an absurdly large sprue piece from another kit.

5/31/20 11:54 p.m.

I'm really humming along now. Got the rear suspension figured out and assembled, installed the seat and the water tank and lines inside, painted the dash and gauge setup, got the motor mounted and the exhaust manifold and turbine on, and a bunch of other fiddly stuff.

Claff
Claff Reader
6/1/20 11:13 a.m.
TurnerX19 said:

In reply to Claff :

What brand is the coral spray? 

Krylon Maxx paint & primer spray can from Lowes

6/2/20 12:03 p.m.

In reply to Claff :

Looking really good Claff!

BenB (Forum Supporter)
6/2/20 1:38 p.m.

Good looking models, guys!

I finally got the Toyota body ready for decals. I still have to make a harness for the seat and finish adding the rest of the suspension and engine bits. I didn't do much to the engine, since I plan to glue the cover down to close up some gaps.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 9:33 p.m.

Calling done on this build.

Gonna try some outdoor "glamour" shots tomorrow.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/2/20 9:36 p.m.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/2/20 9:56 p.m.

I found some paint flaws today and it's still a bit tacky. I'll probably have to try spraying another coat on Thursday and hope it's dry enough for final assembly by Saturday. Still, things are looking up. The stock Ranger intake tube fits perfectly; I only had to cut a little bit out of the middle of it to shorten it.

For the upper radiator hose I've got a rod bent up that looks like a rubber hose into a metal pipe and then into another piece of hose. I used the Taurus radiator (with modified in and out locations) for its built-in electric fan.

Gotta do some rear bars for the cage, mock up a rear window out of Hot Wheels blister packaging, and then put the cutouts in it for the bars to pass through.

Claff
Claff Reader
6/3/20 12:08 a.m.

Winding down. Interior is on the chassis, and the body trim has been painted. There is still a ton of chrome to go on the body, but I'm going to hold off on all that until the body is on the chassis to reduce the risk of popping that stuff off during assembly. Body going on chassis is imminent, all that needs to be done once the window trim paint is dry is install the windows and rear view mirror.

As for the transfer from the newsprint, that's the absolutely last thing I'll do. When all is said and done, I'll shoot some glamour shots of the finished product, then take a stab at polishing out the discoloring. If it works, I can do a second photo shoot. If it ruins everything, at least I have the 'before' pictures to fall back on.

6/3/20 1:24 a.m.

I'm uh... not on schedule?

I got the interior detailing completed. Note the shift linkage and the famous Lenco shifters. The tank is the ice water tank for the intercooler, with lines. Dash is waiting for the roll cage so it can sit on the dash bar.

And then put the rest of the roll cage major bars on, well on the driver's side at least. I still have to x the passenger side and put in all the supports.

Then I got the rear suspension and rear axle in place. Note the carbon fiber driveshaft.

And finally I got started on the body work including a front splitter and rear spoiler.

Oh and I got the 3d printed turbocharger mounted to the 4-rotor.

6/3/20 10:59 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

The Ranger is looking great!

6/3/20 11:00 a.m.

In reply to BenB (Forum Supporter) :

Ooooh! I can't wait to see this one completed!

carczar_84
carczar_84 Reader
6/3/20 12:23 p.m.

Man you guys are putting together some awesome builds this round! I got of to a quick start and unfortunately haven't touched it since the first week.  Work has gotten pretty hectic trying to manage everything 'rona related, and I made a conscience decision to get some long delayed home projects done with the Mrs.  As the warm weather picks up I'll hopefully jump back into it soon.

Keep up the builds, they are very motivating.

3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fUpdZQ3Zm2HbahoQ8KwPEwDyJcWJzK7w1DtjjDP50KTUwrwHFiepk1nf792YdFJy