Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 10:18 a.m.

I got a new self-healing mat and cleaned my model building desk:

In progress shots will be a lot nicer now.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 Dork
6/20/20 3:02 p.m.

Seeing Arrons post about 1/64 scale, I cant see them anymore. The smallest I build is 1/43, like the Abarth Simca 2000 pictured below. Resin kit by Provence Moulage. It needs plug wires, but I couldn't manage it visually.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) Reader
6/20/20 3:41 p.m.

That's some impressive work! I'm starting to think I'm maxed out (or is it minimumed-out?) at 1/24 these days, even with an Optivisor. 

@Javelin: Dude, you're far too organized! I like the paint rack.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/20/20 5:05 p.m.

I ran across a guy on Facebook building 1/64 scale dirt late models. My eyes hurt just thinking about it.

6/20/20 5:14 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

I feel like that might actually take more time to build than a 1:1 one...

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
6/20/20 5:52 p.m.

In reply to Wally (Forum Supporter) :

Holy schnikeys that's small and detailed.

In reply to Javelin (Forum Supporter) :

That is the polar opposite of my work area. laugh

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
6/20/20 8:22 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I should do a before and after clean/organize picture. The before is close to yours.

Thanks for the Raptor. As I emailed you I got home from the hobby shop to find it waiting for me. Here's what I grabbed at the shop.

6/20/20 8:34 p.m.

Got a chance to get some shots in the sun.

chada75
chada75 Reader
6/20/20 9:26 p.m.
Wally (Forum Supporter) said:

I ran across a guy on Facebook building 1/64 scale dirt late models. My eyes hurt just thinking about it.

surprise

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/10/20 7:41 p.m.
Indy-Guy said:

Ok you guys know all, so, I need some help here.

My youngest son (age 9) is building one of his first models and got ahead of himself and glued in the windshield in while I was at work.  He had not yet learned that glue needs to be used sparingly.  Here's the result:

He's been working on this for a few months.  It's going to be his entry for 4-H.  What can we do to fix it? Project needs to be turned in next week.

Quoting this from last year so I can shamelessly brag about my son. His patience and attention to detail have really grown.

We've been working on a Corsair model for a few months, and he turned it in to the 4-H fair for judging.  I think he'll do much better.  Here's a few pics:

7/10/20 8:41 p.m.

In reply to Indy "Nub" Guy :

Corsair was the first plane I built with my Dad. Which is strange cause virtually everybody in my family worked at Grumman on Long Island. Nicely done.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
7/10/20 10:37 p.m.

Only a replacement windshield will save the glass. Use Testors "window maker" clear glue for all glass installation. The missfires are much less obvious. Elmer's White is a close second. Clear fast epoxy a distant 3rd. 

BenB (Forum Supporter)
7/11/20 6:44 a.m.

Great job! I built that same kit many years ago when I was about his age.

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/11/20 8:17 a.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Thanks for the tip, but that problem was solved last year by using a "blister pack" cut and bent to fit.

BenB & vwcorvette:

Thanks guys.  We had a lot of fun and made some good memories.

here's the kit we started with:

Pro-tip, this ultra matte paint is amazing and contributed greatly to the end result:

It went on great and blended flawlessly for multiple applications when we needed to touch it up from paint and glue overruns.  Also we were able to spray some out and touch it up with a really small paint brush.

Highly recommend.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/11/20 9:12 a.m.

The Corsair came out great.  I've been using packaging plastic for windows often now as it is thinner and usually looks clearer.

7/11/20 9:41 a.m.

Kid did awesome! 

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/11/20 10:55 a.m.

I'm gonna have to round up all my model stuff next time I'm at my parents.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/13/20 2:02 a.m.

I'm finally doing it. I'm finally building a big truck kit.

The individual frame pieces were intimidating, but I managed to get it together pretty square. I actually had better success starting at the back, despite the instructions saying to start at the front. The front cross pieces are a bit fiddly.

The 99 cent gloss black paint from Lowe's came out all hazy and weird. Not sure if I'll put on another coat or just call it a work truck and grease it up a bit with some stains and such.

My long-term goal is to acquire an Italeri Ford LTL 9000 and convert it into a fantasy racing truck like this one from an old PS2 racing game.

I guess technically I "warmed up" for the big truck by putting this Lindberg trailer together. (It's an old IMC mold, really.) Not a great kit, to be honest. Lots of parts that have no positive locator tabs/bumps, tons of flash, and crappy instructions. Oh well, it'll look alright on the shelf. Still needs the mudflaps and a few other parts attached.

7/13/20 1:20 p.m.

So nobody stepped up to host the next round of the model builds and the participation is down. Is two weeks not enough time? Would you participate if it was a solid month? Should I pitch an "official" contest to GRM?

solfly
solfly HalfDork
7/13/20 1:35 p.m.

I'd like to get in on one but I doubt I could do it in 2 weeks.

Snowdoggie
Snowdoggie Reader
7/13/20 2:10 p.m.

My Corvair is turning into the longest build ever. 

Indy "Nub" Guy
Indy "Nub" Guy PowerDork
7/13/20 2:51 p.m.

I'm still working 100% full time in the office (as though Covid never happened).  I couldn't possibly build a quality model in two weeks (unless it was the only thing I obsessed about and I let everyone of my other obligations slid)

BenB (Forum Supporter)
7/13/20 3:43 p.m.

I'd be up for another one, but I'm living in a hotel for another week and all of my model stuff is packed up. Maybe for the next one, allowing a little more time will get more people to give it a whirl, since we're all pressed for time in some way or another.

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
7/13/20 4:13 p.m.

I'm down for making it monthly. We could even get some theme ideas from this (December build could be snow/winter-themed, etc.)

7/13/20 4:54 p.m.
Indy "Nub" Guy said:

I couldn't possibly build a quality model in two weeks (unless it was the only thing I obsessed about and I let everyone of my other obligations slid)

That not how you're supposed to do it?!?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0exMAGA3K1KltgJ7g65ViUtf9SBJ3yK63YBvd8EkuITbHfjp3VyYxEf8xUCrMmOe