Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/1/21 9:11 a.m.

In reply to Saron81 :

I can scale up the Cheaparrel's decals...

laugh

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
7/1/21 11:05 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

Yeah, both the Porsche 356 and Mercedes are 100% white metal. The 908 is resin and white metal. They take some time, but are usually much simpler as far as parts count goes so you can focus on just getting a few things right!

Zack

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/1/21 2:25 p.m.

In reply to ZackM :

Anyone who gets a John Day kit to look that good is a seriously good model builder. I have a D.B. LeMans car I need to build. Even simpler than the 300 SLR. The Precision Miniatures kits were really well mastered. I have never seen a bad one if the builder was even 1/2 competent.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
7/2/21 3:43 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Yeah the precision miniatures kit is definitely a lot nicer!

Zack

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
7/2/21 5:48 p.m.

Spent a little making a simple diorama this week to make some pictures of my cars more interesting. Needs some more work on the sand box look but I am happy with the rest of it. The Jersey barriers I build off some Wiki blueprints to 1/43 scale. 

I have spent some time scrolling through this thread since my break, some great looking stuff in here boys! 

Zack

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/3/21 8:55 a.m.

I built this 1/18 MG TC for my dad back in the '90s and recently moved it to my office. He was one of the founding members of the NC MG Car Club. This version of the kit is from Academy. I think the molds date back to the '60s and it's been released by several companies over the years.

solfly
solfly Dork
7/13/21 12:10 p.m.
Rodan
Rodan SuperDork
7/13/21 1:39 p.m.

In reply to solfly :

A $28 'model' of a $.50 noodle cup... the world is truly insane.

BenB (Forum Supporter)
BenB (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
7/13/21 2:19 p.m.

How about some sushi, with individual grains of rice? TUNA or SALMON  I've also seen model kits of office furniture, school desks, and dumpsters. The Japanese certainly pick some very interesting subjects to model.

RustBeltSherpa
RustBeltSherpa New Reader
7/13/21 5:51 p.m.

In reply to TurnerX19 :

Tell me more about that Alfa Romeo Guilia...

solfly
solfly Dork
7/13/21 6:06 p.m.
BenB (Forum Supporter) said:

How about some sushi, with individual grains of rice? TUNA or SALMON  I've also seen model kits of office furniture, school desks, and dumpsters. The Japanese certainly pick some very interesting subjects to model.

Depending on scale some of that stuff would be neat to have in a diorama

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/13/21 7:07 p.m.

I was in the city this afternoon and I hate rush hour traffic getting out of there, so I got off the highway and happened upon an Ollie's discount store. I remembered the title of a Youtube video exclaiming "Ollie's has MODELS???" that I never watched, so I popped in on the off-chance of finding something cool. Well, lucky me because they do still have some. (You never know with these types of discount stores; they get one big lot of stuff and then you'll never see that item there again.)

I picked up this cool lead sled Mercury (snaptite but still awesome) and a Mustang GT because I only have about four SN95 Mustang kits and I need at least a billion more to satisfy my sick mind. They also had a Dodge of some sort and maybe a Camaro, I forget.

When was the last time you saw models for 10 bucks or less in a store, brand new?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
7/13/21 10:10 p.m.

In reply to RustBeltSherpa :

If you are refering to the model in the background of the Fiero pics, here are some details & pics. The built kit is Protar, and is a Giulietta Normale, not a Giulia. It was from the "Swift Model" series and as such has no engine or front suspension details. Protar also released it with the missing details and the Giulia bonnet with the little lip. Still listed as a Giulietta on the box art. That unbuilt kit is pictured below. Protar is no more, but Italeri has the molds, and at least one version is on the shelf in my local shop, or was 3 weeks ago. All versions have opening doors. 

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/28/21 11:29 a.m.

I may have done a thing...

I'm seriously considering opening my own hobby shop...

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
7/28/21 11:33 a.m.

Oh wow, I could use one of those racks myself. And some shelves to stack unbuilt models on. And more shelves for the finished ones...really just a whole new room or three on the house laugh

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/4/21 7:39 a.m.

I finished this one yesterday. Hasegawa Supra Turbo. It's a nice curbside kit that went together just as good as a Tamiya kit. The only additions were seat belts made from painted medical tape and hardware cut from the thick foil that comes on my contact lens containers.

solfly
solfly Dork
8/4/21 10:35 a.m.

Incredible!

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/4/21 12:55 p.m.

Stunning.

I gotta know, what are the round tube things under the front of the car?

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/4/21 2:42 p.m.

Thanks, guys!

The tubes are brake cooling ducts. In the photos of the real car, they look like they're just made of metal hardware store dryer ducts. I wonder if some internal structure kept them from knocking out the fog light blanks and ducting air in from there? There's a pair going to the rear brakes, too.

slowbird
slowbird UltraDork
8/4/21 6:27 p.m.

In reply to BenB :

Yeah, that's a bit curious. They look like they would hang low enough to drag the ground. The car must have been fairly stiffly sprung, though.

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
8/7/21 11:22 p.m.

Doing alittle late night surfing on the GRM site and I found these posts. I did not know...

Very cool, some real great stuff here.

I have ton of old Hot Wheels cars. Found them in bottom of a box w/ AN Fittings I got at a QRS - Quit Racing Sale.

Sold off the good ones on EBay and trashed ones I clean up for my boys. I don't usually save pics but I just finished one.

Not the one I had, much better condition:

And stuff I did:

BenB
BenB HalfDork
8/20/21 11:38 a.m.

Fujimi 1/24 Lotus Esprit. It's a fun, easy curbside. I'm not happy with the way the black rub strips turned out, so I've ordered some black decal film so I can cut strips to get a sharper edge.

Miata for scale. The Miata driver could look over the top of the Lotus without stretching much.

ZackM
ZackM New Reader
8/26/21 12:36 p.m.

BenB: Those last couple kits look great. I love the Minolta livery on just about anything. 

I have slowed down a little until recently. I build up this Heller Talbot Lago GP car. Pretty fun kit to build with some challenges since it is a clamshell design. I am happy with the results overall. The only real upgrade to the kit was to cut out the molded in front grill and thin the plastic to accept a proper piece of mesh. I like this generation of car, the paint quality wasn't all that good, so single stage paint without any correction looks very "scale"! hahaha

This week I have been working on wrapping up this Fujimi CRX with some Mugen wheels. The wheels and tires are too big, but I don't have any tires with a lower profile right now so I am probably just gonna roll with it. 

Zack

Pushrod
Pushrod Reader
8/26/21 1:33 p.m.

In reply to GM > MG :

Nice job on that Hot Wheels drag bug.  A fun, easy detail mod: I've found an old paint brush ferrule makes a good stinger exhaust, too... :) 

GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
8/26/21 9:03 p.m.
Pushrod said:

In reply to GM > MG :

Nice job on that Hot Wheels drag bug.  A fun, easy detail mod: I've found an old paint brush ferrule makes a good stinger exhaust, too... :) 

Thanks man, appreciate that.

Found another pic, shows interior better. I use the people in the kids old models for drivers, etc... That one is a pilot from an old fighter jet.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XrVEuHiXepCTHSmcmFxW06dvixJq1qrl8ZWI2CD1QJPyC3fAvbZLxPcw7zISaY6J