Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
7/9/19 5:24 p.m.

I need to grab the crank pulley from a Mopar Magnum motor (3.9, 5.2, 5.9) the next time I'm at Pull-A-Part. Since I don't currently own one, I'm wondering if one of you guys that do could tell me what size sockets I'll need to pull it.

Daylan C
Daylan C UberDork
7/9/19 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

Posting so I can find the thread again. Let me go down to the driveway and check. (I'll check both the 5.2 and 5.9 to see if they are different)

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
7/9/19 8:53 p.m.

If someone else doesn't come up with an answer soon, I can check the Jeep to confirm.  I think the bolt heads are 1/2" though.  Should be 6 bolts to get the pulley off the balancer.  Be aware, if you find a truck that's had the balancer replaced, the newer style ones are 1 piece, no removable pulley.  Only the older stock ones and some aftermarket ones are 2 piece. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/10/19 5:16 a.m.

Awesome.  Thanks guys. 

Hoping to snag the serpentine belt crank pulley from one for my eventual diy serpentine belt system build on my duster. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/10/19 6:45 a.m.

I guess my biggest questions are whether or not I have to pull the crank bolt and what size that would be. As long as it's a normal bolt on the other six bolts not a Torx or something weird I can deal with that with my normal junkyard bag

Dusterbd13-michael
7/10/19 7:38 a.m.

Well, lets change "eventual" to "imminent ". Ive officially had it with the v belts.

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
7/10/19 7:48 a.m.

No need to pull the big crank bolt to get the pulley off the balancer.  

No Time
No Time Dork
7/10/19 7:50 a.m.
Dusterbd13-michael said:

Well, lets change "eventual" to "imminent ". Ive officially had it with the v belts.

Are the V belt issues outlined in another thread? Serpentine will bring its own issues; and are sensitive to alignment.

As an example I’ve had serpentine belt issues after motor swaps (6.5 to in place of a 6.2 diesel using the original 6.2 serpentine accessories, because of miss alignment. There was an accessory that looked fine static and at idle, but there bracket needed to be shimmed to keep the belt from walking off the pulley when RPMs increased. 

Dusterbd13-michael
7/10/19 7:58 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Fantastic! Ive worked on way too many engines and couldn't remember what mopar does.

No time:

Issues are purely due to physical space. Theres not enough room fir the drives i need in an aesthetically pleasing way. No read seperate thread, but its been an ongoing issue with my 70 duster fir YEARS. many mentions of it in its build thread. The plan is to go to the machine shop and make templates for the front of the engi e and heads. Mark every single available bolt hole. Transfer to 3/8 plywood to make mock up brackets. Use a magnum vrank pulley, ford water pump pulley, gm power steering pump alt/idler, convert the sanden 508 compressor clutch to serpentine, and space accordingly. Will use a standard rotation water pump and idlers. 

Gonna be a HUGE undertaking .

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
7/10/19 8:25 a.m.

Decided against trying the Dakota LA / rev rotation water pump then?

Dusterbd13-michael
7/10/19 9:24 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin :

Yup. Doing that opens a different can of worms. 

At least this is my present plan. Subject to radical and unforseen changes.

No Time
No Time Dork
7/12/19 12:15 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13-michael :

That definitely sounds like a huge undertaking!

Good luck!

VegasNick
VegasNick Reader
7/12/19 8:22 p.m.

I wished I had seen this ealrier. I just tossed a 5.9 magnum balancer/pulley assembly out in the curbside junk pile for the local collector. :( 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K8zUgiNfHugSk1DqQRsCuQusIzoAJcfdl2vymi1YR5pSHyiqSnNg5orFvz5DXa7M