1 2 3 4
DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
4/21/22 10:49 a.m.
mrblah said:

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

isn't the RS4 faster than the maxxis with better wear?

The Maxxis V2 is much better than the V1 but it just doesn't have the longevity that the RS-4 has. On a FWD car the V2 has great turn in but mid-apex it loses a lot of grip and confidence. Throw wet conditions into that and it makes exiting a turn a fun experience. 

The RS-4 might have slightly less grip than the Maxxis but it will last forever on most tracks. 

We just ran the last race* at PBIR we had used Maxxis on the rear of our Accord. They had 10 hours on teh rear of the car at Daytona and were completely shredded after 4 hours at PBIR. The used RS-4s we had on the front of the car lasted until our shift linkage decided to delete itself. We ran two different compounds to just get rid of old tires because PBIR is a tire shredding factory. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/21/22 11:50 a.m.
84FSP said:
Robbie (Forum Supporter) said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Lol 13" pickings are slim.  Demon tweaks carries the beat selection but you have to deal with shipping.  Just got some fresh purple crack mounted up for rabbit.

Um, just checked their site. Thanks!!! Do they ship tires to USA?

freescopesdad
freescopesdad New Reader
4/23/22 11:27 a.m.

No longer on the TireRack website as of Saturday AM. Austin stated in chat session that they have no plans to carry them, which seems quite odd.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/25/22 1:03 p.m.

I have spoken to the Bothans! (Okay, really, it’s a friend at Tire Rack who knows all.)

Have no fear, Tire Rack will carry the Bridgestone RE-71RS. A computer glitch pulled the listing from the site, but all should be fixed very soon. 

Captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/25/22 2:00 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

There's an event the first week of June that I'm looking forward to. 

David S. Wallens
4/26/22 6:21 p.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

Fingers crossed. 

David S. Wallens
4/26/22 6:21 p.m.

Oh, and the RE-71RS is back on the Tire Rack's site

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
4/27/22 5:36 p.m.

Tire Rack had said available 6/1 but they emailed me a shipping confirmation today!

Oldboy Speedwell
Oldboy Speedwell Reader
4/27/22 10:11 p.m.
84FSP said:

Please say there will be a 13!!!

Lol 13" pickings are slim.  Demon tweaks carries the beat selection but you have to deal with shipping.  Just got some fresh purple crack mounted up for rabbit.

Um, just checked their site. Thanks!!! Do they ship tires to USA?

Apparently not online but perhaps arrangements could be made if you contact them $$$

I just tried a mock order and it was a no go.

On a brighter note, they still offer a cool paper catalog, ordered a few things from them last year and  got this in the mail a couple of  months ago...

badair
badair
5/2/22 10:44 a.m.

Tire Rack rep tells me they are sold out of 225/45/17 (despite what the website says). I take it the new RE had a good debut this weekend?

With Yok A052 also sold out for months, I guess I picked the wrong year to get serious about autocross.

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
5/5/22 8:35 a.m.

Tire Rack has some good rebates on these now. They won't ship until June 6th but I went ahead and ordered them so I guess we will see how they go. I was going to just order the rt660 but they are on backorder for my size and cost more without the rebates.

5/5/22 9:47 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Yeah the rebates brought my set of 4 to under 150 per a tire. 

captainawesome
captainawesome Dork
5/5/22 9:59 a.m.

In reply to Captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

I didn't check for other sizes but assume yours won't be shipped until early June as well?

5/5/22 11:53 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

estimated arrival is 6/2/22

David S. Wallens
5/6/22 11:35 a.m.

And, FWIW, we've had tire availability issues in the before times, too. The reality is that these tire companies make a lot of units for F150s and Camrys as well. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
5/8/22 11:46 a.m.

I'm close to choosing my autocross tires for the summer. I've been running the Rival 1.5 in the 225/45-15 size on my six inch wheels. 99 Miata sport, E Street. 
The pluses with the rivals have included excellent lateral grip, and excellent heat tolerance (a big factor here in Florida in the summer). The old RE-71 had to be cooled by spraying them after every dry course run.

Still, I'm tempted to get an order in for a set of the new Bridgestones. Since their marketing material says they're more of a track oriented tire, I'm hoping they'll manage heat better than the old ones.

I like not having to spray my tires between runs. The longitudinal grip sounds very appealing as well. Threshold braking with rivals is tricky with my non-ABS car. 

I'm thinking I'll take advantage of the sale prices and order a set for June delivery.

Russco68
Russco68
5/9/22 12:01 a.m.

We have had these in Australia for a little while now. The RE71RS are a step up on anything else in the 200TW range including A052. In my Evo X (mild aero + proper camber/suspension setup), lap times dropped from a 58.0 (A052) to a 57.4 (RS), other competitors also had a similar drop in lap times. Compared to the A052 the RS has a stiffer sidewall and is much more responsive to steering inputs, better under brakes, similar high speed lateral grip to the A052. I get up to 3 hot laps out of the RS whereas the A052 dropped off much quicker due to heat (usually 1 good lap in hot weather).  The new RE71RS are a completely different animal to the RE71R, they are quicker in every aspect and really shine in heavier cars.

5/9/22 1:09 a.m.

In reply to Russco68 :

Thanks for the personal experience with the new tires. I'm going to order mine tomorrow. 

5/9/22 11:42 a.m.

I'm in the process of ordering the RE-71rs tires from Tire Rack. Their webpage for the tire shows that Bridgestone is offering a $90 rebate. When placing the order, I was told that the rebate may not happen.

I have confirmed on a call to Bridgestone/Firestone that the transaction must be completed by May 31. The ship date is June 1st, making this ineligible for the rebate.

I'm posting this here, and will also share it in a new thread with a specific title.

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/29/22 6:59 p.m.

Why are there no Miata sizes?  Seriously, who puts 205/50 Extreme Performance Summer tires on their Miata as track/autocross tires? Isn't that the target market for this tire?  The only other 15" option is the 225/50 - too tall.  225/45 would be fine but that's not available.  Looks like another set of Falken 660s for me.

5/29/22 8:23 p.m.

In reply to jwagner (Forum Supporter) :

I agree with you that a 225/45-15 would be preferable for a Miata, but the previous version of this tire didn't come in that size either. Anyone with 15 inch wheels on an NA or NB that was using Bridgestones was using the 205-50. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/29/22 8:33 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

I agree with you that a 225/45-15 would be preferable for a Miata, but the previous version of this tire didn't come in that size either. Anyone with 15 inch wheels on an NA or NB that was using Bridgestones was using the 205-50. 

Then the question becomes which would be faster on track.  I'm betting the 225/45 would be better than a 205/50 and handle heat better because of the additional tire surface.

5/29/22 9:10 p.m.
jwagner (Forum Supporter) said:
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

Then the question becomes which would be faster on track.  I'm betting the 225/45 would be better than a 205/50 and handle heat better because of the additional tire surface.

That truly is the question. The original version required cooling between runs, at least on hot days. What I've read about the new ones (from Japan and Australia) is that they are pretty heat tolerant.  Since Bridgestone's stated intention was to build an effective track tire, I'm hoping they'll prove to be heat tolerant. 

My backup plan if they can't handle the heat is to store them until fall, and buy another set of 225/45-15 Rivals for the summer. 

David S. Wallens
5/29/22 9:14 p.m.

Tire Rack doesn't have tread widths published for all of the sizes for the Bridgestone RE-71RS, but the 225/45R15's section width is 0.8-inch wider than the 205/50R15. That's quite a bit. Both sizes are listed at 20 pounds. 

Our testing has regularly showed that the wider tire is faster in an autocross/track setting. 

5/29/22 10:55 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Do you have some sort of inside information on 225/45-15 availability? Bridgestone's website only shows a 195/50 and 205/50. 

From tire rack:

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xFpI2XNOKtSIJ39OIMmtIoeGPmBxoyictn3EfTQyDraLfMgzzfsNzXjY4o2ACkHt