1 2 3
GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/26/11 9:41 a.m.

http://www.toyotainthenews.com/scion-fr-s-has-been-designed-for-the-enthusiast/

If Toyota fulfills all their promises with this car, it is going to have the mother of all waiting lists...I wonder if I'll get a good spot and a decent price if I take a couple of days off to line-camp?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/26/11 9:52 a.m.

I still have hope for the FR-S, but it's been "coming soon" for a long time. That development time will have to translate into dollars somehow, so the longer it goes (and the more times it changes brands) the less confident I am that it will be the low cost, enthusiast focused car that it was promised to be.

failboat
failboat HalfDork
7/26/11 9:54 a.m.

lol I think I got an email from scion last week about the car. It told me nothing more than what I have been hearing about this car for the past 6 months.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
7/26/11 10:02 a.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I still have hope for the FR-S, but it's been "coming soon" for a long time. That development time will have to translate into dollars somehow, so the longer it goes (and the more times it changes brands) the less confident I am that it will be the low cost, enthusiast focused car that it was promised to be.

Being "low cost" means that it shares a production line with a lot of other cars.

Or that means that if there is a waiting list, it's quite artificial.

IMHO, the demand will be no more than the Miata in it's best year, which was, what, 20k? Ford sold 21k Focuses just LAST MONTH.

Not to say the car will be bad, just do yourself a favor and don't get caught up in any storm that may surround this car. It's not likely to last too long, and it will cost you money (like the first Miata's did).

Else, like Tom suggests, it won't be a low cost car.

Please, be paitient.

Drewsifer
Drewsifer Dork
7/26/11 10:11 a.m.

Wow, they're still saying this is coming soon? I thought they said that in 09 too. It looks cool, but I wouldn't count on a sub20k sticker.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/26/11 10:13 a.m.

Yeah I don't see any way it's gonna be under $20k, if they keep it in the low-20s where mere mortals can afford it I'll be happy. The likely problems I'm worried about are that it will cost close to $30k or be heavy.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
7/26/11 10:18 a.m.
article said: Engine mounts and space under the hood have been included so that owners can easily switch out components.

Awesome! It comes with engine mounts!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w SuperDork
7/26/11 10:19 a.m.
Drewsifer wrote: Wow, they're still saying this is coming soon? I thought they said that in 09 too. It looks cool, but I wouldn't count on a sub20k sticker.

I think in 09 they were calling for a '11 introduction.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/26/11 10:29 a.m.

Yeah IIRC the planned release date was always late 2011/early 2012.

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/26/11 10:33 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote: http://www.toyotainthenews.com/scion-fr-s-has-been-designed-for-the-enthusiast/ If Toyota fulfills all their promises with this car, it is going to have the mother of all waiting lists...I wonder if I'll get a good spot and a decent price if I take a couple of days off to line-camp?

OMG! I know, huh. Everyone I know is planning on taking a day off work to add their names to the ultimate enthusiast car ever built. I know I can't wait, I'm trying to plan my vacation around the intro so I can stand in my local dealership until the first one arrives.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/26/11 10:40 a.m.

the ultimate enthusiast car ever built

Without this it would be impossible to tell if you were kidding on this forum.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
7/26/11 10:42 a.m.

instead of bad comedy... or worse yet absolutely dumb posts... here is an active thread on the FR-S. it includes ACTUAL specs and details...

http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=95050

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/26/11 12:23 p.m.

Ugh, looks like they're flirting with nearly 3000lbs of weight, for the base model

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
7/26/11 12:50 p.m.

the scion TC barely sells for under 20k and if you want one with any kind of options at all it is over 20k. Plus Toyota has a Carmax style no haggle pricing bs on Scions.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/26/11 1:27 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: instead of bad comedy... or worse yet absolutely dumb posts... here is an active thread on the FR-S. it includes ACTUAL specs and details... http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=95050

I didn't see any actual specs, unless you meant spec-ulation. "Hopefully under 1300 kilos" doesn't count to me.

Until it's released to the market, it's a dream car. So far it's a good dream, but I want to touch it and drive it before I draw a conclusion.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon Reader
7/26/11 2:17 p.m.

As far as "coming soon" for a long time, the new camaro was 40 months from unveil to showrooms. With modern cars' new impact standards, hundreds of airbags, 3k lbs is not that heavy.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
7/26/11 2:28 p.m.

There are plenty of cars under that weight with all the safety gizmos.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH SuperDork
7/26/11 2:49 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: There are plenty of cars under that weight with all the safety gizmos.

Most notably the Yaris, which is why I had high hopes.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
7/26/11 2:53 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: There are plenty of cars under that weight with all the safety gizmos.

Truth. My 2011 Mazda2 is under 2300 lbs.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 Dork
7/26/11 3:31 p.m.

It's neat, but am I the only one who thinks it's just off the mark? The AE86 was cool because it was based on an economy car. It looks "cute". Then it does things it shouldn't ought to do. This is cool looking, and I guess a ground up "sports car". That's more the MR2 formula than AE86.

Meh, I think I'm the only one...

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/26/11 4:00 p.m.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: It's neat, but am I the only one who thinks it's just off the mark? The AE86 was cool because it was based on an economy car. It looks "cute". Then it does things it shouldn't ought to do. This is cool looking, and I guess a ground up "sports car". That's more the MR2 formula than AE86. Meh, I think I'm the only one...

Nope, I agree. I think a big part of owning the "E36 M3 box" hot hatches is the david and goliath thing, making due with what you have, and all that other stuff.

Did Honda REALLY release the Civic Si way back when with an eye towards racing? Doubtful. I mean, they probably knew they had a good car, but they realize it would take the amateur racing world by storm? A Civic was a Civic, the Si had a couple better bits.

I think the issue is that they are shooting for "sports car". Imagine if they just designed a cheap econobox that was rwd and sold it, let everyone go at it from there rather than "mandating" it be a sports car that was "highly modifiable" by the motorsports community. E36 M3, a Miata is $30k in Canada (I E36 M3 you not).

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/26/11 4:13 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote:

Hyundai dropped the Elantra to 2700lbs, the Accents are ~2500. Hell, their mid-size Sonata isn't much over that mark. Yeah... 3k for 170hp rwd coupe is NOT acceptable.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin Dork
7/26/11 4:42 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Tom Heath wrote:
Hyundai dropped the Elantra to 2700lbs, the Accents are ~2500. Hell, their mid-size Sonata isn't much over that mark. Yeah... 3k for 170hp rwd coupe is NOT acceptable.

What's the Genesis weigh? Apples to Apples

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
7/26/11 4:46 p.m.

3100-3300. Comes with a MINIMUM of 210hp, and as much as 300+. IIRC, it's due for a refresh next year. Likely get the GDI version of both engines (274 and 350)

HiTempguy
HiTempguy Dork
7/26/11 4:47 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: What's the Genesis weigh? Apples to Apples

A car is a car, why would a sportscar weigh more than a family sedan? The Genesis is "hardly" what I'd call a sports car... a grand tourer maybe. And I'd rather have a V6 mustang any day of the year (and it's cheaper, a Genesis is $28k out the door for a base model in Canada, while a mustang is $24.5k)!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5vXmit0uGo0CbscL6EZH4T9WasGmDAAfw62eHZrxdaTw9KEGDu5zBPQLdwXOMbCd