4 5 6 7 8
dj
dj Reader
12/1/11 4:11 p.m.

What really surprised me about the specs list for the new car is the actual dimensions. The new 86/FR-S will be 1.2 inches longer, 5.9 inches wider, and 1.4 inches lower than the original 86 GT-S!

If they keep the curb weight down they will only be a couple hundred pounds heavier from the original 2,400 lbs with nearly twice the power.

It sucks to finally want a new car...and it's a Scion.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/1/11 4:50 p.m.

Subaru said the BRZ will weigh 2,689lb and I expect the FR-S to be about the same. It's not AE86 territory, but that's about as much as the 89-92 240SX and non-turbo 86-88 RX-7 weighed. Both of those are beloved, and down about 40hp compared to the Toyobaru.

I'm kind of hoping Scion sells a JDM badge conversion kit to make it into a Toyota GT-86. They did it for the Scion xB (Toyota bB).

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
12/1/11 6:05 p.m.

So when can I swap a 13B into one?

MitchellC
MitchellC SuperDork
12/1/11 7:52 p.m.
dj wrote: What really surprised me about the specs list for the new car is the actual dimensions. The new 86/FR-S will be 1.2 inches longer, 5.9 inches wider, and 1.4 inches lower than the original 86 GT-S!

Just checked the specifications vs. the two-door Focus SVT hatch: The Toybaru is 1.4 inches shorter in length, 3 inches wider, and 5.1 inches shorter in height, not to mention about 100 pounds more svelte and stabling 30 more horses from the same displacement. RWD. LSD.

As far as GRM cars go, does any modern car tick more of the boxes? Besides not costing $10,000?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
12/1/11 8:53 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Subaru said the BRZ will weigh 2,689lb and I expect the FR-S to be about the same. It's not AE86 territory, but that's about as much as the 89-92 240SX and non-turbo 86-88 RX-7 weighed. Both of those are beloved, and down about 40hp compared to the Toyobaru. I'm kind of hoping Scion sells a JDM badge conversion kit to make it into a Toyota GT-86. They did it for the Scion xB (Toyota bB).

that's about 60 pounds lighter than my 318ti.. and 50 hp more. Sounds like it should be fun if the steering and brakes are talkative enough

sanman
sanman Reader
12/1/11 9:45 p.m.

Did anyone post this link yet?

FR-S on the road

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/1/11 11:10 p.m.

I like the way this car sizes up, thank you MotoIQ.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
12/1/11 11:13 p.m.
sanman wrote: Did anyone post this link yet? FR-S on the road

the guy in the WRX should have run with him

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
12/1/11 11:34 p.m.
MitchellC wrote:
dj wrote: What really surprised me about the specs list for the new car is the actual dimensions. The new 86/FR-S will be 1.2 inches longer, 5.9 inches wider, and 1.4 inches lower than the original 86 GT-S!
Just checked the specifications vs. the two-door Focus SVT hatch: The Toybaru is 1.4 inches shorter in length, 3 inches wider, and 5.1 inches shorter in height, not to mention about 100 pounds more svelte and stabling 30 more horses from the same displacement. RWD. LSD. As far as GRM cars go, does any modern car tick more of the boxes? Besides not costing $10,000?

With most modern cars I look at and say "I'd get this if I have to." The more I see of the FRS I say "I'll have to get this."

Hopefully it continues to live up to the hype.

bravenrace
bravenrace SuperDork
12/2/11 7:02 a.m.

Max torque at 6600 RPM - yikes! Still nothing about fuel mileage...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
12/2/11 7:43 a.m.

in some circles this car is going to be a flop.

Those looking for the resurrection of the AE86 and those that want it more like a reincarnation of the Supra will NEVER be happy with it.

Thankfully for Subaru and Toyota, those people are in the minority, sadly, they will be a vocal minority.

With Subaru being involved, I see it being a good car. A true "sports Car" in the original sense of the word. LIghtweight (relatively) decent power, hopefully good brakes and communicative handling.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/2/11 1:07 p.m.

Looks like pricing for the Subaru has been released:

$24k for the base model (which has satnav standard)

$27k for the "Limited" which for some reason specifies 17" wheels (maybe the base only has 16s?) and "vented brakes" (aren't all modern brakes vented?), other than that it's just nicer interior stuffs.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/2/11 1:15 p.m.

Some subies have non vented rear discs. I'm guessing that's the root of the vented brakes option. For example early wrx's had non vented rear discs.

The0retical
The0retical New Reader
12/2/11 1:25 p.m.

The basic rundown of the differences are here.

The TL;DR version

Base automatic transmission does not have an LSD, the manual does.
16" wheels
Non vented rear brakes, vented front brakes
Various interior bits

There's supposedly a stripper R version coming similar to the Genesis Coupe R with steelies, unpainted front end, no stereo, no AC, and a cheapie steering wheel, but there's been no US info on that car yet.

DustoffDave
DustoffDave Reader
12/2/11 1:26 p.m.
NOHOME
NOHOME HalfDork
12/2/11 1:44 p.m.

Well, if the base model is $24k in the USA, then you can expect the "In my driveway price" to be just under $40k in Canada. We typically pay about 5k more for a car than the US price and we get a 13% tax plus the rest of the crap.

What is a nice car at 30k is not so nice at 38k. It was fun for a while!

sachilles
sachilles Dork
12/2/11 1:58 p.m.
DustoffDave wrote: Drool

brz gt300 kind of implies a 6 cylinder doesn't it.

Subaru usually takes a 4 cylinder adds two more cylinders to get their six.

So the 2.0 4 had 3.0 6. the 2.2 4 had a 3.3 6.

Am I grasping at straws to think a GT300 might be implying a 3.0 6 cylinder power plant?

The0retical
The0retical New Reader
12/2/11 2:01 p.m.

In reply to sachilles:

If so will it fit under the hood without swinging 12lbs of "assistance?"

But yea, god that noise it makes is good.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
12/2/11 2:14 p.m.

GT300 cars are tube-framed fellas...

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy HalfDork
12/2/11 3:01 p.m.
dj wrote: It sucks to finally want a new car...and it's a Scion.

You're looking at it all wrong.

It's amazing that Scion is putting out a car we want. Kudos to them; I hope that it works out.

I'm getting one, provided I can fit in it.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/2/11 3:52 p.m.
sachilles wrote: Am I grasping at straws to think a GT300 might be implying a 3.0 6 cylinder power plant?

Yes. I was pretty sure that with Japan's GT300/GT500 cars, the number referred to a horspepower cap.

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/2/11 6:04 p.m.

MotoIQ had a peek under the car:

http://www.motoiq.com/magazine_articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/2279/86-under-the-skin-technical-details-on-the-toyotasubaruscion-86gt-86fr-sbrz.aspx

No stock camber adjustment (boo!) but a lot of off-the-shelf Subie and Toyota parts like Legacy/WRX brakes and Lexus IS diff mean the aftermarket parts should be available quickly (yay!).

Plus, there is that Inside Line article they link to that has a 1.6T Boxer that Subaru displayed next to the Toyobaru D-4S 2.0L at the Tokyo Auto Show. No word on what that engine will go into, and Subaru insists there is no turbo BRZ in the works, but I'm willing to bet it's a matter of "when," not "if," we see a turbo BRZ ta least. It's most likely the engine for the next-gen WRX/STi as well, since the WRC has moved to 1.6T engines.

http://blogs.insideline.com/straightline/2011/11/2011-tokyo-auto-show-subaru-boxer-engines.html

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
12/2/11 6:20 p.m.

RexSeven,

Yuppers, the front-of-motor turbo on that 1.6 is the only way the FRZ86GTS thing is getting forced induction. That'll be a neat drivetrain for sure!

HStockSolo
HStockSolo Reader
12/2/11 6:58 p.m.

Front suspension:

The bottom of the strut is awfully high--like they are leaving room for a CV shaft. That's a beefy looking tie rod too. Not impressed with the stamped steel control arms, but I guess that factors into the price.

Rear suspension:

RexSeven
RexSeven SuperDork
12/2/11 7:14 p.m.
HStockSolo wrote: Front suspension: The bottom of the strut is awfully high--like they are leaving room for a CV shaft.

Subaru has said repeatedly that there will not be an AWD version of the BRZ- the transmission is located behind the front axle line. The strut itself might have been cribbed from the Subaru parts bin, which would explain why the bottom of it is so high up.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GDX9qDfS2jNjrW6nNHkdDbvIiSD3AuPqJyA3dFkNAtLFxUaQk17PVN55a6t6jiDm